ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No boost on acceleration just hissing sound, idles fine

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
Hello,

I have been doing a lot of miles in my new job, a lot involves getting to places as quick (and as safe) as possible. This has resulted in many things my local garage has fixed but now I have got no boost (1.5 DCi 80) when accelerating, just normal acceleration. But I do get a hissing sound, like a wannabe rally car.

I am thinking the turbo has gone but could it be something like the dump valve? or even a belt? there is no whirring sounds when accelerating, just the hissing (and general diesel groans). It idles fine as well.

I would just take it to my garage, but I don't have a free day until a week on Tuesday and there will be a lot of driving in-between so I'd like to know if I am running it into the ground first in case I need to take a day off and get it fixed ASAP or can I just run it with no turbo for 2 weeks and not see much (if at all) further damage being done?

dan's cast offs.
out of curiosity, with your avatar being the longbridge tunnels gt mini and the username have you seen the car pics from the dingle tunnels in liverpool?

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
Split in the turbo boost hose.
Pardon the noob comment, but would that just need a new hose or a whole new turbo?

And, no I haven't been to Dingle tunnel but think it's on the cards later in the year as I know someone who knows the person with the keys. Hardly do anything nowadays anyway, mainly stuff in Gibraltar or work on renovating Drakelow Tunnels.

2007 clio dynamique
I'd imagine if a boost hose was split , or popped off completely it would be pretty smoky , does it smoke at all ?

Sent from my Moto E using Tapatalk

Phase 1 172
I'd imagine if a boost hose was split , or popped off completely it would be pretty smoky , does it smoke at all ?

Sent from my Moto E using Tapatalk
Not necessarily. In my experience of hoses popping off or splitting I have never seen smoke. I would also guess that it is either a split hose or has popped off. Either that or a vac line somewhere has popped off or split. It's a cheap fix but can be a nightmare to find depending on the size of the hole/split.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like the hose has popped off/split as said.

I had the same happen to me on my ST, it idled fine, I could drive it OK...I just had very little power.

For me I had to get the car up on axle stands, crawl underneath, and then re-attach the hose and properly tighten the jubilee clip.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
If it is a hose thats come off then it should be relatively easy to find, a split pipe is normally a nightmare and usually having a 2nd person around helps to locate if theres nothing obvious (if a hose is split you'll only hear the hiss when applying throttle and making the turbo work which makes it awkward if you're on your own as you you can't do both the throttle and follow the sound at the same time)

Check all intake and intercooler pipework for splits, if a pipe had come off the car would make a horrible noise on boost like a deep bark and have no performance, less than 50% of original power. Roughly how much performance has been lost in %? I say this as it maybe a split on one of the hose clips which is harder to detect without taking all of them off the car, but a little trick if you cant find any obvious splits in the pipework is to put fairy liquid on the joints and clamps and rev the engine and you should see bubbles if one has split.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
If it is a hose thats come off then it should be relatively easy to find, a split pipe is normally a nightmare and usually having a 2nd person around helps to locate if theres nothing obvious (if a hose is split you'll only hear the hiss when applying throttle and making the turbo work which makes it awkward if you're on your own as you you can't do both the throttle and follow the sound at the same time)
This basically describes it, and it has lost all 'performance' it simply drives now, the hiss is like an added sound effect lol
I'll get it up on my ramps on sunday and have a look :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the hiss I assume sounds like the turbo generating boost? telling you that its spinning as it should be!

check all the boost hoses as mentioned above to make sure they are all connected and not split anywhere obvious, also check the sensors on the boost hoses to make sure none have blown out

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
The silver fastner thingy, should there be one on either side of pipe? Or just at the top? It might not be it but it was loose and at the bottom. The top has been secured with a cable tie oh and the tape is as there was a split there (trying to temporarily problem solve!!)

Attachments

• IMG_20160612_154503.jpg
    IMG_20160612_154503.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 834
  Clio 172 Merc ML55
Should only be one jubilee clip as the other side screws into the airbox. A split certainly won't help, and from memory shouldn't there be a sensor in the hole to the left of jubilee/tape temp repair.

I'll have a look at the mrs dci when she gets home to double check for you

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
Should only be one jubilee clip as the other side screws into the airbox. A split certainly won't help, and from memory shouldn't there be a sensor in the hole to the left of jubilee/tape temp repair.

I'll have a look at the mrs dci when she gets home to double check for you
Never had a sensor there, if there should be one, it hasn't made much difference since owning it from 2010! Have removed the cable tie and tightened the jubilee clip, it's mad a tiny bit of difference but will try and get it to the garage as soon as I can.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
Found the problem, the radiator had come loose and rubbed against the pipe causing a split pipe. The parthas a 10-day wait so it was been bodged with a similar sized pipe until I can get my hands on another one. They tightened up the radiator and all Cost £40 incl. Labour. It does actually run fine now though. So might just leave it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160621_131746.jpg
    IMG_20160621_131746.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 494

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Never had a sensor there, if there should be one, it hasn't made much difference since owning it from 2010! Have removed the cable tie and tightened the jubilee clip, it's mad a tiny bit of difference but will try and get it to the garage as soon as I can.
just searched for a photo of my 65 as my 80 definitely has a senor there, found one, my 65 had it too!
08092008264.jpg