ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No fault claim increased my premium

fiesta 1.25
I thought this might happen but £192 extra because someone hit my car while it was parked!? I presume it will also be on record for 5+ years so will be paying more each year?

What are my options? Apart from going elsewhere.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I think your only legal option is to try elsewhere for something cheaper. Good luck.

Insurance companies, they'll rip you off anyway they can - this instance in particular just makes you feel sick, it's kind of rediculous you have to pay more when you had a parked car and some pleb drove into it!

fiesta 1.25
Just done a quote with admiral and its £154.52 cheaper than i will be paying with the change of balance. Surely they will match this? Also noticed that its cheaper if it was my fault.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Apparently your more likely to have a fault accident in the next 5 years after having a none fault accident.... That's what my insurance company told me :(

LY R26 230 F1 Team
aye that's the bullshit they tell you, but how does that work?
it doesn't really make any sense!

TBH they could tell you that because the sky is blue the moon is made of cheese and you're more likely to have an accident.... They can tell you what they like, BS or not they still increase your premium due to other people's lack of talent. :(

Listerine & Poledo
It will also have gone up because Insurance has gone up universally.

And because Clio's attract accidents, period.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
And because Clio's attract accidents, period.

True say. Too many chav c***s driving them now.

And people modding them for the sake of modding them, this forum is full to the brim with these kinda people. *shifty eyes*

Black 172
Because you're statistically less likely to have a crash.
What statistical data did you study to reach this conclusion?

Sorry to have to ask, but some people just add the word "statistically" in to a sentence to make an opinion sound factual. I'm sure your not one of them...

Listerine & Poledo
True say. Too many chav c***s driving them now.

And people modding them for the sake of modding them, this forum is full to the brim with these kinda people. *shifty eyes*

Gotta get lowz cus i is now part-time chassis engineer n haf money in pocket

aye insurance companies do say you are statistically more likely to have a crash, but i doubt anyone has actually seen these statistics.
tbh i dont see how there is any sort of correlation, a non-fault crash doesn't directly or indirectly affect your driving ability after which would lead to another crash (of course this is assuming no injury or "fear" - in which case perhaps driving is not wise).

i can see it both ways to be honest, but i still think it's just an excuse to ramp up the fees.

Listerine & Poledo
any excuse, and they'll rinse anyone for furher pennies.

All to pay for the administrators that sort out the mutli-thousand pound "ooo, me neck!" claims.

What statistical data did you study to reach this conclusion?

Sorry to have to ask, but some people just add the word "statistically" in to a sentence to make an opinion sound factual. I'm sure your not one of them...

My not one of them?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Insurance is just a complete joke...

Statistically I'm likely to have my car stolen because I live in a "high" risk postcode.
Statistically I'm Likely to have a crash because I own a high performance car.
Statistically I'm likely to have my car vandalised because it's a soft top.
Statistically I'm likely to have an accident because I'm male.

I'm yet to claim (touch wood) since passing my test in 1998 - statisics my arse!

Those that claim should be punished finiancially, those that don't shouldnt - it really is that simple!

Why am I paying twice as much as that bloke/bird who lives in the middle of nowhere who has written off 3 cars in as many years!?

ClioSport 172 (2003)
Insurance companies simply use theyre data to generate your premium. Yes i agree it sucks if you have a non-fault accident to find your premium rise next year, but it is correct that you are more likely to have a fault accident next time around. The FOS regulate all registerd insurance comapnies in britain therefore they can never make such ridiculously false statements, they have to have the data to back it up with. Moaning about it definetly wont reduce the premium. The only tip i could give you is too switch your insurance company at every renewal, you'll get a cheaper quote elsewhere as a new buisness customer than you will if its a renewal quote.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Insurance companies simply use theyre data to generate your premium. Yes i agree it sucks if you have a non-fault accident to find your premium rise next year, but it is correct that you are more likely to have a fault accident next time around. The FOS regulate all registerd insurance comapnies in britain therefore they can never make such ridiculously false statements, they have to have the data to back it up with. Moaning about it definetly wont reduce the premium. The only tip i could give you is too switch your insurance company at every renewal, you'll get a cheaper quote elsewhere as a new buisness customer than you will if its a renewal quote.

See above...

Stats are stats at the end of the day - nothing more or nothing less.

IMO its wrong to charge people silly premiums based on statisics which are outweighed by facts.

The fact that you can live in a grade A postcode and park your car everyday in the roughest area going and yet still pay a small premium makes a mockery of the entire system...

Listerine & Poledo
+1 I wish they'd go back to ruining Corsas.

If I was still in Lincolnshire, we should have got together and put the world to rights.

As it happens, I'm not, so that wont happen.

Mind, mine came with dubious stripes, hope you dont mind?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols!

If I could be arsed i'd go back and find the posts where I warned you of this. Maybe this will teach you to listen.

Infact...

Your insurance company should be the last people to phone.

Go today and get 2 quotes from what you see as decent garages. Call RM and ask where you can send these quotes via fax/email whatever. Then either they inspect the car or send a fax to the garage authorising repairs to your car. Pretty simple.

The minute you tell your insurance company your car has been damaged, even if it's not your fault your premium will no doubt rise next year. Statistically you're more likely to have an accident than the owner of the car next to you which wasn't hit.

I must add, legally you have an obligation to inform your insurance company of the accident.

However deal with the claim yourself. You'll feel the benefit come renewal time. I won't bother recommending an accident management company. It's not good for the industry.

Didn't you have a similar thing happen a year or so ago?

Spoke to my insurance company and they said i can either pay the excess and get it sorted asap and get the money back when/if they accept liability or i can wait untill they have accepted liability and then get it fixed. I told them i will wait.

Now I'm not sure whether to leave it to them or contact the Royal Mail as well.

Or do what gally says. Iirc he's the man that knows about insurance etc etc

Yes because you haven't dealt with it yourself. Truth being theirs hundreds of accidents everyday that are sorted out face to face with no insurance companies. Do you think they always phone and tell them?

I'm not advocating lying to insurance companies of course not but some common sense needs to come into play here. It's 100% someone else fault which means it should be piss easy to deal with.

Only use your insurance company if you really have to. Not for a £30 bump on your rear bumper. In this case it can be sorted quickly by either doing the work yourself or biting the bullet and paying your excess and letting your insurance company fix it.

The Royal mail would simply have authorised the garage who was cheapest to repair the car and invoice them the costs. Aslong as you keep chasing them up it could have been sorted in a matter of days.

I'm with Gally i'm afraid! My insurance company wanted to up my premium by £150 just because I had a non-fault claim!!

Use your insurance company if you have to! Royal Mail may have accepted the quote you got.

Going back to gally's point about it costing me extra come renewal. I know it shouldn't but it will.

Why are insurance companies getting away with this? It should be illegal?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It was him that made the thread to ask for advice. Anyway.

Insurance is just a complete joke...

Statistically I'm likely to have my car stolen because I live in a "high" risk postcode.
Statistically I'm Likely to have a crash because I own a high performance car.
Statistically I'm likely to have my car vandalised because it's a soft top.
Statistically I'm likely to have an accident because I'm male.

I'm yet to claim (touch wood) since passing my test in 1998 - statisics my arse!

Those that claim should be punished finiancially, those that don't shouldnt - it really is that simple!

Why am I paying twice as much as that bloke/bird who lives in the middle of nowhere who has written off 3 cars in as many years!?

See above...

Stats are stats at the end of the day - nothing more or nothing less.

IMO its wrong to charge people silly premiums based on statisics which are outweighed by facts.

Statistics are facts.

What you mean is that it shouldn't be assessed on risk. But they have to.

What else can they do?

'Alex, are you a brilliant driver?'
'Yes'
'Okay. We'll let you pay 17 pounds this year'

You're charged a high price because of your age/sex/car/location. That's just how it works. You just happen to have criteria that tips you into risky.

Doris who has loads of crashes/points will pay a lot. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Flol @ Dan! Says it all.

Maybe Insurance should be paid for by our taxes? It's a right iirc..

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Statistics are facts.

What you mean is that it shouldn't be assessed on risk. But they have to.

What else can they do?

'Alex, are you a brilliant driver?'
'Yes'
'Okay. We'll let you pay 17 pounds this year'

You're charged a high price because of your age/sex/car/location. That's just how it works. You just happen to have criteria that tips you into risky.

Doris who has loads of crashes/points will pay a lot. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Statistics allow for generalisations. Should Insurance companies be allowed to hike premiums based on the colour of your skin?

I may be more of a risk based on where I live, my age etc but the fact remains that I havent claimed yet pay more than person X who lives in an A rated postcode, has claimed multiple times and leaves their car at an F rated postcode everyday where they work.