ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

no longer a cup owner, now have a 197

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
Having owned my cup for the last 6 years, it was time to let it go, and yeahhhhh did i make the best choice, the clio cup sucks compared to the 197's.

Think my cup would be faster, in the 0-80 times, but i don't care, the 197s are great, handling feels much better and precise in these new 197s.

heres my motor, ultra red, it was getting dark and i only have camera phone :rasp:

n674888184_670276_4853.jpg

n674888184_670281_6280.jpg

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
definately get one, superior handling and grip in my opinion. only thing its lacking is a foot rest, which i thought was odd.

mk3 golf gti
that is odd! i wasnt sure about the 197 at first but im starting to really like em, i think racing blue with cup pack and recaros! better start saving!

clio 172 cup
the r27 is the one i'd like but after owning a cup it wouldnt feel a step up
prob in comfort and safety but not performance wise so i dont think i'd ever own 1.

R26
good choice mate nice to see the 197's are growing on peeps
loved it ever since the release

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
yeah its lovely it was washed yesterday when i picked it up, but im going to go and wash it again :) hehe, its great, i prefer the red as the rear diffuser stands out more, i was looking at the black and blue ones, but you don't really notice the rear diffuser on them, where as it stands out on the red car. (hopefully i will take some better photos)

I still think they look bloody aweful. Bigger,fatter,heavier, slower. Beats me how people are saying ''they're growing on me'. You'd need more money than sense to buy a new one imo.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I still think they look bloody aweful. Bigger,fatter,heavier, slower. Beats me how people are saying ''they're growing on me'. You'd need more money than sense to buy a new one imo.

LOL slower? You driven one? Yes they are bigger, but better build, sound, handling, exclusivity, non melting steering wheel, seating posision...... i'm happy ;)

Enjoy mate, i haven't looked back after chopping my 182 in from my 197. Albi Blue and Ultra Red were my choice when i was looking! I plumbed for Albi, i'm a sucker for blue lol. And no footrest??? Mine has one? Not aluminium plated..... but then neither were thee MK2 RS's

What ever floats your boat Gaz lol. I like a well used tuned up beastie, something to work on at weekends. Cash is waiting if any sportsfans out there have got what I'm after.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
LOL slower? You driven one? Yes they are bigger, but better build, sound, handling, exclusivity, non melting steering wheel, seating posision...... i'm happy ;)

My mk2 172 is now on 85k, and the steering wheel is still in mint condition.
At least the seats in my 172 aren't falling apart, unlike the optional Recaros in the 197 ;)

Aye, good job i have the standard seats then ;) All RS's are good, just makes me laugh to how blinkered some people are towards the new models. The 197 will be the norm on here in two yrs.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
At least the seats in my 172 aren't falling apart, unlike the optional Recaros in the 197 ;)

Aye, good job i have the standard seats then ;) All RS's are good, just makes me laugh to how blinkered some people are towards the new models. The 197 will be the norm on here in two yrs.

Yes mate i have had two test drives, and have been impressed on both occasions.

ST

So true mate...

See when i traded my 182 in for the R27 it was the right time as i got £9,150 for it against the R27 that i paid £14,250 for which was listed at £17,250 in the showroom..so for me it was the right time to change, if i'd kept the 182 and went to trade it now i would've been lucky to get £7700 for it..

What ever floats your boat Gaz lol. I like a well used tuned up beastie, something to work on at weekends. Cash is waiting if any sportsfans out there have got what I'm after.

Something to work on at the weekend...or does that translate to something to fix thats broken during the week??

Peddled device
The 197's look classy IMHO.The white ones are striking.But they are big...my 182 Cup is just so zippy and good on juice if l need it to be.

What mods are there to give the 197 more power...to put it on a par with the 182? I know the 197 has better build quality and feels more planted (so l'm told) but personally l think its underpowered with the extra weight.But then again is it fair to compare it with the 182 which is so much smaller?

I think out of all the current hatches the looks of the 197 are a grower and it will still look fresh in years to come.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The 197's look classy IMHO.The white ones are striking.But they are big...my 182 Cup is just so zippy and good on juice if l need it to be.

What mods are there to give the 197 more power...to put it on a par with the 182? I know the 197 has better build quality and feels more planted (so l'm told) but personally l think its underpowered with the extra weight.But then again is it fair to compare it with the 182 which is so much smaller?

I think out of all the current hatches the looks of the 197 are a grower and it will still look fresh in years to come.

The 197 is no slower than a 182.........

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
...the clio cup sucks compared to the 197's.

Harsh. Sounds to me like you might be trying too hard to convince yourself it was the right choice.

Don't get me wrong, I think the R27 is a fantastic car, well tied down, good pace, good looking blah blah blah...but you must be viewing your 197 through the normal 'new car' rose tinted specs. to make the comment above LOL

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
no, it feels and drives much better, ok i don't get no 4.5k kick, but it feels more stuck on the road, and in my opinion of driving my cup everyday for almost 6 years, this 197 handels better.

i don't go on tracks and never have, so maybe its different that a cup on the track (as you take yours) but for road use its better

Peddled device

The 197 is no slower than a 182.........

I seen the figures and read the reviews (Evo)....its quicker around a track but slightly slower 0-60 (0.4 ?? Who cares!). My point was on a day-to-day basis for me its a big car...the 182 is just perfect.Its a full 150 kg heavier.Its almost not in the same size class as a 182.

My 182 feels rampant all the time...ready to be raced...l doubt the 197 would feel the same.I'd have to try one for sure.But l'm not knocking it...l do like the 197.

172 cup
197's do look real nice but i cant say iv driven one, but people using the example of a melting steering wheel as an advantage of the 197 is ridiculous; Its hardly a major problem and doesnt bother me one bit. The new Megane RS models look the best now IMO!

Safer, more toys, more stable, handle better, years newer and faster A-B on road or track... yup, a true backwards step ;)