ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noisy engines 172?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ok it's no Bentley I know, but are these engines particularly noisy? Mine seems quite loud when you lift up the bonnet and I'm not sure if it's just me being paranoid or if it's got louder than it should be.

I've had the dephaser replaced by Birchdown in Feb so it (hopefully) can't be that. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but are they quite loud anyway?

I got a vid but it was taken underground so is echoing and sounds a lot worse than it actually is so I won't upload it!

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I was just thinking the same thing about mine, sounds quite tappy on the top end. Mine has however done over 200km so its not going to be at its best.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Will do Russ bud. I'll take it out in a bit and take a vid of it somewhere a bit more open cos the video I have of it underground is not realistic!

Sounds quiet in the car and not so loud when bonnet's shut but really notice it when the bonnet's open.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Tis 9 years old to be fair to the old dog, and no doubt been spanked by a few owners (unlike myself who strictly adheres to all speed limits regardless)

Listerine & Poledo
As above, they do sound more like refined tractors than a car.

but get a vid up if you're worried, the forum will soon judge it.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
it got the once over from the guys at birchdown in feb so it must be ok. I've only done 3k motorway miles in it since! oil was changed immediately too and it's in the garage every week getting refreshed parts on it. guess they're all just really noisy. I'll stick a vid up sometime when i get the strut brace piece of s**t off cos it was that that was making an annoying rattle at idle since I took the black heatshield stuff off the underside of the bonnet.
Anyone else with an OMP s**t brace have this issue?
(this isn't why I thought the engine was noisy by the way just another bonus rattle along with my squeaky gearlever that have all developed this weekend.)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Check spark plugs

They weren't torqued when put in I'm sure. What setting should they be done to? Would this be a possible reason for the annoying tapping? I've disconnected my carbon canister to help this.

Water pump, injectors, carbon cannister, loose plugs. Plus they are noisy-ish anyway.

if it aint broke don't fix it.