ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noisy VVT pulley? Clio sport 172, please help!!

Hi all

i have a 2002 clio sport 172 and tonight has started making a rattling noise from the vvt pulley!! Makes a rattling noise when you first start the engine then when you rev engine it rattles when the revs are coming back town? When I disconnect the vvt pulley solenoid the noise stops?

is the vvt pulley solenoid faulty or is it the vvt pulley itself?

Strange how it only does it when sensor is connected?

any ideas?

thanks

​dan

Clio 172 182 197 200
Oh dear doesn't sound good.

Weve just fixed a car with the same issue and the timing was out, the noise was the valves clapping off the pistons.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Different advance at different revs.

Does just sound like the dephaser is pumped but Andy might be right as well with the valves hitting off the pistons.

Car runs fine though when disconnected so struggling to imagine timing was out? Belt was changed about 20k ago, had no problems until tonight it just started?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Remember the dephaser will advance the timing by 16 deg so if you are slightly out then by adding 16 deg advance then it may collide.

​Still think it'll just be your dephaser if fuked.

How can the timing all of sudden be out though? Could the dephaser solenoid be faulty or blocked? Not letting it advance or r****d timing?

You disconnect the sensor by removing connect on the top of the engine near oil filler cap

172 cup, Impreza P1
By disconnecting the solenoid you are stopping it advancing and so stopping it potentially colliding.

Timing can slip if the belt was not changed Correctly.

Clio 172 182 197 200
I was so u sure i called and Spoke to a Fred With this fault as the dephaser was new and belts been done by another garage, he said instantly the timings out. Sure enough it was! :( some times a second opinion does help!

Get a video tand fingers crosed its just a dephaser fault :)

Clio 172 182 197 200
Yiud be supprised. Owen did a belt for a member on here at the dephaser oully was hand tight :) and had lasted 10k!!

Lets hope its a easy fix.

Get a little video updated

It's more closer to 1500 rpm than 2100 rpm!! Unless the belt has stretched or jumped a tooth I am still struggling to think its timing related? I was hoping a new dephaser solenoid would solve the issue but doesn't sound like it will?

I was so you beyond any doubt I called and Spoke to a Fred With this blame as the flight was new and sashs been carried out by an alternate parking space, he said quickly the timings out. Without a doubt enough it was! Off and on again a second feeling does help!