ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

non-cupped 182s are RUBBISH!!!!

well hate to say it, ive lost the love for my non cupped 182... today it flung me across a dual carriageway and into the back of another car! absolute write-off! crappy crap crap! be warey of any rear suspension problems people! its not the easiest thing to rectify at dual carriageway speeds!

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
well hate to say it, ive lost the love for my non cupped 182... today it flung me across a dual carriageway and into the back of another car! absolute write-off! crappy crap crap! be warey of any rear suspension problems people! its not the easiest thing to rectify at dual carriageway speeds!

Not being funny but its probabley down to user error, a car wont just fling you across a dual carriageway for no reason, maybe down to poor or lack of essential maintnence?

106 GTi
If had been cupped packed do you really think it would have made any difference ? Hope it all gets sorted.

no im just stating, as mine was a non-cupped 1 tis all... car literally just stepped out the rear on a bend on the dual carriageway and before i knew it, was across the next lane of the carriageway!

Clio 182
I take it that you were flying around said bend at breakneck speed? Cars with handline like even a standard Clio 182 don't just don't "go" like that unless you are really pushing it.

MCS R56
Not sure how it being 'Cupped' would have saved you!? Sounds like it was you're fault or a mechanical failure.

172cup
think rear suspension had gone to pot, i read somewhere that leaking rear shocks can result in a very jumpy rear?

when the damers went on my cup... it was a very jumpy rear yes... but you KNEW your car was fucked... so you didn't drive it at dual carraigeway speeds.

Maybe you've hit some diseasal or something?

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
think rear suspension had gone to pot, i read somewhere that leaking rear shocks can result in a very jumpy rear?

Twitchy indeed, my 172 used to step out a little over every bump - I was beginning to think it was a characteristic of the car until the boys at Birchdown confirmed one damper was completely parched of all oil/fluid! :S

Bad luck dude, sounds like it caught you out before you chucked some much-needed cash at it...

just feel like a t w a t for not gettin it sorted quicker! just didnt have the cash to throw at it, like u said... not a nice feeling tho!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Not the cash lol. Rear shocks are £45 a piece, hardly worth scrimping on if its your life at stake? Same with cheap tyres lack of maintenace, doesnt wash imo. If you cant afford simple things like that, you should really question weather or not you can afford to run the car.........

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
What was the road condition like? If it was wet and a deisel spill this could cause you to loose the rear end, but travelling >70 in a 182 it would have to be a corner in excess of 90 deg to make the back go out that bad, shagged suspension or not.

I've drove with broken springs, leaky shocks, even a snapped track rod and never had a car leap over lanes.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
strange...

they do step out under breaking at speed but never before have i heard of one letting go on a normal drive whilst obeying speed limit and respecting conditions.

atleast your alright.

BMW M135i
Its well documented on here that leaking/shagged rear dampers make the back end get far too frisky, and knowing this you still carried on using the car (which would've been fine if you'd kept it in mind tbh).

Nothing more than operator error imo, nothing to do with the car. Not paying £90 for a set of rear dampers is going to cost you a lot more now!

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
Well at least you're alive and have the use of your fingers. Could you tell there was something wrong with the back end then? Did you just not do anything about it cos you couldn't afford to? If that's the case it's a sad fact that (at least for now) you should think about a cheaper-to-run car next, so you've got spare cash to fix any problems it might have. Sorry, you probably already know that and I don't mean to rub it in.

yeh tbh ill hold my hands up, i shouldve definately gotten it sorted the moment it looked/felt like it needed fixing, but i didnt notice much difference in the handling, etc before today, i mean it was a bumpy ride in the back, but i wasnt sure if that was just a clio trait or not. its just annoying really coz a £95 job, is going to cost me £550 + a huge hike in insurance premiums! looks like ill be driving around in a toyota yaris from now

80MPG BEEZA
i dorve my brother in laws 182 last week and i papped myself went round a corner at quite a reasonable speed and back end slipped out finding myself counter steering it on the exit of the corner. i thought to myself if mine was like that i wouldnt have half the confidence i do in mine, turns out was to much tyre pressure in the rear

clio sport 182
renault do know about the rear shocks problem got refund from renault cust service mine had only done 22000 miles 3 year old thats all they lasted all ren said was they should last longer but glad your ok:S

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
So...really in hindsight, non cupped 182's AREN'T rubbish.
But your attention to general maintenance IS.

RS Clio 182
I'd be having the car mechanically examined so the exact cause can be found. Could make all the difference with any insurance claim.