ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob DSLR buying advice

Yup I did notice that in some shots, so there are a few with the higher shutter speed.
(I started off just on the Sport setting, rather than Tv just to get a feel of things, probably hence the blurred pics, then changed over to Tv to do it properly)

Inferno 182 CUP
tv will be easier mate

set your iso to auto so you dont have to panic and then set to tv .. all you have to change is shutter speed .. higher number = freeze frame no blur .. low number = blur and motion ;)

Yup noticed that... I actually ended up changing the ISO from Auto and played about with that, as it was making the pictures too dark.

Ended up on 1600 as it was about 6-6.30pm last night when I took then, so getting quite dull.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I'm off down Durham with my Dad tomorrow, getting the 500D Canon with the IS lens, any advice or anything?

I'm off down Durham with my Dad tomorrow, getting the 500D Canon with the IS lens, any advice or anything?

You'll need to get an SDHC card aswell and a carry case if you dont want to do any damage to it imo.

Good luck with all it though matey. Keep the thread updated with your sweaty pic efforts ;) Sort a Flickr out aswell.

Last edited:
  Mk2 ph1 clio
As said yesterday, a decent bag is a must to keep your gear safe and clean. Dust is a DSLR's worst enemy tbh.

and with flickr, no real benefit to buying a pro account until you hit 200 photos!

Im lens shopping at the moment :) Need a decent walkabout lens for the 1D but EF lenses seem to be more expensive!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
just been to Currys at Metrocentre and bought myself a Canon 500D 18-55 EF-S lens, they chucked in a 4GB memory card at a discount. I'm really happy that I've actually bought my first DSLR.

I'm a proper noob so any advice or guidance will be appreciated

YES GEDI!!! Keep us updated with how you get on. Im still slowly getting used to mine, trying out different styles of shots etc.

Theres loads of advice through this thread. Loads of people have helped me out with various shots etc. <3 CS Photography whores!!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
at the minute got the battery on charge, i'll take it off before i go to bed and i'll let it run over night and put it back on charge again. This is what the guy at the shop said. And i'll take a few pics tomorrow even though i don't know what i'm doing lol.

I'll have a read at the manual later on and install the software on my PC

Have to say i'm quit exited

Weird that. The guy at Jessops just told me to run it down (as the battery was already charged up) and then charge until full.

Have fun!! Since ive had the cam, im constantly looking at everything different. Every time I go out I notice things that would be good to take pics of etc. lol.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
sorry he told me was for the initial charge was to leave it on overnight and to run it down then to charge it again and 1 more time and then charge it when ever.

I can see what you mean Harpham see everything differently, i'll be taking my camera with me every time i go in the car

2.2 bar shed.
Take your camera everywhere, the more you do the better you'll get. Well thats my idea anyway, I love street photography and find it awesome fun. A cheap 35 mil film rangefinders fantastic as it fits in your bag/pocket and takes ace photos. Developing's a bit of a pain but its not exactly expensive anymore.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Just been out with it for an hour, really enjoyed it. I just set it on Fully Auto i just adjusted the 2 lens's the main one and the one on the end, i'm not too sure what you call them. I'm not too sure why the flash came on it came on a few times on outside. Plus i put the photo's i took on my PC and seems to be a couple short hmm?

2.2 bar shed.
Take it off full auto right now. If anything use P which is near enough the same, except you can control the ISO and flash. Go read up on basic exposure stuff, stickies on this forum. Then just experiment from there.

Upload your pics onto here aswell, so we can track your progress ;) (Similar to what im doing really. When I have a good wh0ring session, ill whack them in this thread for tips etc)

In related news, just washed the car... Would have been rude not to take a few photos of it during.

Snow Foam = Winning
5564663812_295032347e_z.jpg

27/3/11 Snow Foam = WINNING! by Harpham y0, on Flickr

After taking in some of the advise (;)) on here about my moving shots, I thought id give them another try tonight. Quite pleased with the results of some of the shots:
5604371996_8d903d0fd4_z.jpg

9/4/11 Daisy Jumping by Harpham y0, on Flickr

My favourite pic:
5604373898_212a73ffcc_z.jpg

9/4/11 Daisy Jumping The Brook by Harpham y0, on Flickr

And cropped it so you could see detail properly:
5603787691_aabca4d8c9_z.jpg

9/4/11 Daisy Jumping Close Up by Harpham y0, on Flickr

Also took another couple close up shots:
5604373130_4ec028c0c1_z.jpg

9/4/11 Bracken by Harpham y0, on Flickr

5603786549_f9e797e8e1_z.jpg

9/4/11 by Harpham y0, on Flickr

Couple more in my Random Whoring folder: http://www.flickr.com/photos/harpham/sets/72157626068101987/with/5603786549/

What think? Certainly an improvement on my last ones of the horse, as I was panning, rather than keeping the camera static.
I love random wh0ring sessions...