ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob DSLR buying advice

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Doh!! You know what I mean :eek:

Just been watching some reviews of both on youtube. Swaying towards the Canon after seeing them both in action. Even more so as today I found that my sister-in-law actually has a Canon, so id be able to use her many lenses and stuff :D

Another reason to get a canon then! dont forget to reserve it online to get the online price in store. Reserve them both separately and just go with the one you want on the day.

I recommend this for a decent cheap small tripod, ideal for low car shots:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=110655

Another reason to get a canon then! dont forget to reserve it online to get the online price in store. Reserve them both separately and just go with the one you want on the day.

I recommend this for a decent cheap small tripod, ideal for low car shots:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=110655

Ahh good stuff. Didnt think about reserving online, never mind doing it for both lol. Quite a good thing to do.

And cheers for the heads up on the tripod. Cheap and cheerful is what I like to see ;)

Inferno 182 CUP
cheap + tripod = disaster

i have a 2K camera lens combo .. and i wouldnt put it on anything less than a good q manfrotto or giottos .. i also would do the same if i had a 1000D ..

cheap + tripod = disaster

i have a 2K camera lens combo .. and i wouldnt put it on anything less than a good q manfrotto or giottos .. i also would do the same if i had a 1000D ..

Yup, know exactly what you mean. I may have a tripod from the sister-in-law to have, im sure that will be damn good quality, seeing as the rest of her equipment is, so this may not be an issue.

The one Mike. (yeah, you heard right, MikeDOT, not Jenic) mentioned seems alright for the price though. Will do me for the odd shoot of the car.

Inferno 182 CUP
its that "odd" shot when the wind blows ;)

nightime photos require longer shutter speeds and you to let go of the camera to minimize shake .. so you dont want wind to make it bounce .. especially if your using the SIL's lenses ;)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
lol at all the dot stuff.

I agree with danny but I'm really impressed by my little camlink. Its close to the floor due to its low height so lowers the centre of gravity, less chance of blowing over, plus i'm not man enough to go out and take pics when its windy :eek:

Would I put a long lens on it? maybe not :eek:

Took the plunge today and bought a Canon 500D, with 8gb memory card, UV filter, carry bag and screen protector.
Heres the kicker though, they didnt have any screen protectors in stock. But, for some reason, I think another member of staff used the computer beforehand, I got a Mini Digital Activity Camera, worth £50, absolutely free. So instead of a £2 screen protector, I get a £50 camera haha.
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/80173/show.html That one.
Not sure whether to keep it and use when I go on track, or sell on :D
Also got aload of free prints aswell, dont know whether that is the norm though.

Let the major wh0rage commence. Seems amazing up to yet, but it's going to take a while for me to get used to lol.
Thanks for all the input guys. Know it must be annoying listening to my shite. :p

Took the plunge today and bought a Canon 500D, with 8gb memory card, UV filter, carry bag and screen protector.
Heres the kicker though, they didnt have any screen protectors in stock. But, for some reason, I think another member of staff used the computer beforehand, I got a Mini Digital Activity Camera, worth £50, absolutely free. So instead of a £2 screen protector, I get a £50 camera haha.
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/80173/show.html That one.
Not sure whether to keep it and use when I go on track, or sell on :D
Also got aload of free prints aswell, dont know whether that is the norm though.

Let the major wh0rage commence. Seems amazing up to yet, but it's going to take a while for me to get used to lol.
Thanks for all the input guys. Know it must be annoying listening to my shite. :p

Next on the list - 50mm f1.8. The End.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I had a play with the Nikon D5000 aswell, but just didnt feel as good. The fact that my sis-in-law has aload of Canon kit aswell kind of sold it to me.

Can I send you an e-hug instead? :eek:
(I do really appreciate your input btw. Helped me out alot matey)

No hugs. Hugs are for girls. Unless you are a girl ? Pics ?

Congrats anyway .. Canon FTW.

50mm f1.8 + Sigma 10-20mm .. a decent bag (I've got a lowepro swing round under belly one which is ace for being out and about!) and you're away... well, until buyinglotsoflensesandflashesanditherkit-itis kicks in.

Enjoy !

:coffee:

*awaits many annoying threads along the lines of "all my pictures are dark" and "I've heard of lens caps but I've never taken mine off"*

;)

Lol. No im a boy, but I like to give out some man love ;) x

Dont get me started on more lenses already lol... Ive had a good ol' play with it now im home. Some of the pics are quality (to what im used to, anyway). Im just using the pre-set things atm though (landscape, close up etc), havent tried messing around with the settings myself yet. This will definitely keep me going for a while! :D
Just got to sort out the photo editing side of things. The camera came with some Canon software for this, but im yet to have a play about with that to see if it's any good.

And dont worry, you can count one thread off the list of 'stupid threads' that I will be making in the coming months... I've found the lens cap and successfully taken it off (and put back on) ;)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent choice mate :approve:

When Greg gets his new camera we are planning a little geeky photo/video meet so come to that!

You have a mac yes? If your after the latest photoshop (which will process raws from your 500d) then drop me a pm and i'll dig out a spare licence ;)

Excellent choice mate :approve:

When Greg gets his new camera we are planning a little geeky photo/video meet so come to that!

You have a mac yes? If your after the latest photoshop (which will process raws from your 500d) then drop me a pm and i'll dig out a spare licence ;)

Sounds great, will give me chance to get advice from all you camera whores and get some sexy pics of the Clios ;) Keep me posted about that matey!

And yes, that would be great. PM incoming! :eek:

Downloaded a trial version of Aperture, as a Photoshop trial wasn't working right (said my trial was up straight away and wouldnt let me try it out :S ). See whether its good enough for my use.

Btw, the mini digital camera recorder thing I got yesterday is going up for sale I think, so if you want it, PM me and ill sort something out for the peeps that helped me out in this thread ;)

Just had a play on Lightroom 3 at editing some pics. Heres one that I robbed of my car off JimWD when it was at his for a detailing session:
Before
5496178535_a57f7d3f00_z.png

Original by Harpham y0, on Flickr

After
5496770872_d2a96d86e1_z.png

Edited Version by Harpham y0, on Flickr

It's not going to be the best edit in the world, but I was just having a play about with the different settings/options to see what it was capable of etc. Seems pretty good for a noobish person like me.

It's quite hard to give advice on what to improve on close detail shots like that.

What area in photography do you want to improve?

Im just new to the whole thing and dont really have any knowledge about photography, so any general tips, advice or any sort of feedback would be appreciated.

At the moment, ive only done the close ups as the car has just been sat on my drive.

Tonight, I plan to go and take some pics of the whole car in an underground car park, so will probably have more feedback for those tbh.

Pics down in the underground car park last night didnt go as to plan... Definately need my tripod to hurry up and be delivered. Alot of shots came out slighty blurred or not detailed enough. Will be trying again when I have the Tripod.
One that I took last night:
5501484659_0b6e459c2f_z.png

IMG_0112 by Harpham y0, on Flickr

Tried a time lapse aswell of just 5 seconds, to see what it is like:
5502078190_ec2d7a735a_z.png

IMG_0127 by Harpham y0, on Flickr

Then WillCS197 turned up for a few pictures aswell of his 197, but then some prick of a security guard kicked us out. His reason: "Im the site manager (asif you'd be working on a Saturday night) and 'YOU PEOPLE' cause too much trouble. You're not aloud to take pictures in here". Idiot!

Also, took a few of the girlfriends animals last night, which were also all in low light. One of the rabbit running (changed the shutter speed to 1/250?):
5502078404_00ba27dab9_z.jpg

IMG_0171 by Harpham y0, on Flickr

Last edited:
On Lightroom, I used the preset of "White Balance", put that to "Auto" and then played about with the "Temperature" levels.

No, I think I am just shooting as JPEG atm?! Whatever is the standard setting, whilst I get used to everything and how things work.

Is the photo of the Rabbit ok btw?

EDIT: Cheers Scott. That's a good pic. Ill be having another go once the tripod is here in a more open location like that, rather than being in an underground car park again.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Some nice shots mate :)

Getting there - and I'm always learning new things too.
What do you think of the D90?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Don't mess about with the shutter speed. Just change the Av to as low as it'll go and let the camera work the rest out. If the rabbit was moving at about 120mph in daylight, you might have been lucky ;)

Don't take night shots with out a tripod. Anything slower than ~1/10 will be blurry without one unless you've the stability of a sniper. :rasp:

Yeh get a tripod, also change the white balance so you don't have that horrid orange light.

If only someone had written a tutorial on this subject huh ?

White balance.. unless there's something in the shot you know is white, just drag the slider down to cool it off. Put your shots there to 2500K and see what happens ;)

On a positive note - the close up shots are great .. unless you were trying to get a shot of the whole car haha :eek: