ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob DSLR buying advice

Right, thanks for that Giraffe. So Av as low as it can go for low light shots. Got it.

Yup ive found that out the hard way... :( Tripod should arrive some time this week, so ill get out for Take 2.

And regards to white balance, yup. Definitely agree. Will have a play about with some more photos and do the above like you say.

Lastly, thank you!! :D Im pretty damn impressed with the close up shots, especially the beading on the bonnet and the cage one. Cheers for the input (again) matey!

Fiesta ST-3
Another bit of advice mate set the camera to timer so it goes off after a 2 second gap, otherwise you will still get slight blur when pressing the shutter button.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Right, thanks for that Giraffe. So Av as low as it can go for low light shots. Got it.

No no no .. that's not what I said. First bit was in relation to the rabbit.. maybe I wasn't entirely clear. If I was trying to take a picture of that bunny lolloping about, I'd have put it in Av mode, AI focus and let the camera work the rest out. :)

The low light stuff / night time / tripod .. you'll need to practise. It'll take more than setting it to f3.5 and coming out with a pro shot ;)

No no no .. that's not what I said. First bit was in relation to the rabbit.. maybe I wasn't entirely clear. If I was trying to take a picture of that bunny lolloping about, I'd have put it in Av mode, AI focus and let the camera work the rest out. :)

The low light stuff / night time / tripod .. you'll need to practise. It'll take more than setting it to f3.5 and coming out with a pro shot ;)

Ahh sorry, misunderstood. Ill try again with the rabbit then in Av then, see what that comes out with :)

Yup, practice will be the key for this and fiddling about with everything... Ill get there eventually ;)
Dont think im doing too bad with my shots up to yet, after only having this for 2 days.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
after looking at this section on the forum i've been more and more thinking of getting a DSLR a Canon brand but want to spend no more than £400 roughly, any ideas?

I'm a proper noob on photography. i've only owned one camera and that's a Sony DSC-W50 and i think a DSLR will be a big treat for me.

Some nice shots mate :)

Getting there - and I'm always learning new things too.
What do you think of the D90?

I got the Canon 500D btw ;) which up to yet, seems fantastic. It was a toss up between the Canon and Nikon D5000. Had a play on both, but the Canon just felt that much better and was set out better for me. Still getting used to everything though, going to take me a while lol :eek:

Fiesta ST-3
after looking at this section on the forum i've been more and more thinking of getting a DSLR a Canon brand but want to spend no more than £400 any ideas?

I'm a proper noob on photography. i've only owned one camera and that's a Sony DSC-W50 and i think a DSLR will be a big treat for me.

That's your first mistake. Nikon are far better than Canon. I have a D5000 and its a great bit of kit. I actually came from Canon to Nikon so I like to think my views are impartial. Nikon is much better.

That's your first mistake. Nikon are far better than Canon. I have a D5000 and its a great bit of kit..

I disagree ;)

When I tried both Nikon D5000 and Canon 500D in the shop, the Canon felt so much better, menu's better, layed out better etc.
Down to personal preference I guess though.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
i work in Durham City so i'll have a pop in Jessops or something and try out a few as you recomended. Is it poss to buy a DSLR at the price i'm asking for?

Yes you'll be able to get the entry level SLR with a standard kit lens for that, just.

Just have a play with both, read the reviews online etc....then decide.

Fiesta ST-3
i work in Durham City so i'll have a pop in Jessops or something and try out a few as you recomended. Is it poss to buy a DSLR at the price i'm asking for?

Just don't buy it from Jessops theres far cheaper places to get your gear.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
which entry level DSLR's are we talking about? Defo just have a try and look elsewhere

I think the Nikon is the D3100, not sure what the Canon equiv is. Just look at WarehouseExpress.com as a guide for pricing and specs.

Camerapricebuster.com is also another good site.

2.2 bar shed.
Canon 1100d is the new equiv, not worth buying it new. Just get a second hand 500d imo as its much better for the same price. Just depends if you really want 'new' stuff rather than lightly used 'as new' stuff. Loads of people on talk photography/similar are selling xxxD's on the cheap as loads upgrade.

"Navy" N17 TWO

I got the Canon 500D btw ;) which up to yet, seems fantastic. It was a toss up between the Canon and Nikon D5000. Had a play on both, but the Canon just felt that much better and was set out better for me. Still getting used to everything though, going to take me a while lol :eek:

Oh, your flickr EXIF said Nikon D90 :S lol

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
just having a quick look on some sites, the 500D is more of a choice little bit more than what i'm looking for but.

just having a quick look on some sites, the 500D is more of a choice little bit more than what i'm looking for but.

I got the Jessops kit for £530 mate. Pretty much sets you up, apart from the lack of a Tripod.

Like most people said to me, you'll probably regret getting a lower specced camera once you get into it and you'll just end up paying out more to upgrade.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
One main disadvantage is the screen on the 500D is so good it makes your pictures look better than they actually are lol

If you go for the 1000D this never happens as the screen is s**t.

Jessops aren't too bad for bodies and kits imo, but if your on a budget definitely go used and buy better.

Noob Question. Number 1925834763956:

Is a UV filter necessary? I had one of my first noob experiences last night. I must have not put the lens cap on properly at last use, the the lens filter on the end of my camera got specs of dirt/dust on it. I then proceeded to use a heavy breath and light strokes from a microfibre cloth to clean, but it has left slight streaking and very light/small scratches on the filter. ffs.
Is this filter still of use, or should I throw away and get another?

Can't imagine any glass would scratch that easily, try some proper lens cleaning fluid and disposable lens wipes. Pec Pads and Eclipse cleaning fluid are good, it looks expensive but my small bottle and 100 pads are going strong 4 years later.

They are very very light scratches tbh, but I dont want anything ruining my picture quality.

Alot of stuff ive been reading has said that people only have them on to protect their lens's rather than for actual photo benefit.

I will invest in some proper lens cleaning stuff soon!! In the mean time, ive ordered another UV filter just incase, cant hurt having a spare anyway.

Ahhh good times, cheers for that man! :)

Got another evening/night shoot lined up tonight at one of my places of work, but this time, instead of having no Tripod, I now have 2 as I have borrowed my sister-in-laws and the one I ordered has been delivered :)

Should be decent results this time. Fingers crossed.

"Navy" N17 TWO
And who told you? :eek: :eek:

Even if I did have Nikon PJs would be less embarrassing than being seen with a Canon ;)

Brb, just getting my Canon panties on.

Tried another few shots with my mate's Po-low, before 5aside kicked off tonight. Definately better, but as we was sat right under a light, I cant seem to get the orangey glow off the pics :S
Any tips regarding that? Played about with temperature and other settings already. Maybe im doing it wrong.

Tripod certainly did help!!

5507554768_f55eb5412a_z.png

Some wh0ring before 5aside by Harpham y0, on Flickr

5506956121_72df0a3452_z.png

Some wh0ring before 5aside by Harpham y0, on Flickr

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
cannon.jpg

?

Just move the slider right down to cool it off.

Send me the original file that came off your camera..... if you still have it ? Looks past f**ked already lol !