ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob here

Hello noob here, just sold a CTR after a couple of years ownership and decided to make a switch to the darkside, 182 delivered in 2 weeks. astounded on the test drive, took a 4300 mile one out nicely broken in with cup suspension. handling is different league to the Civic as is 0-60 IMHO not that keen on the looks but its only going to be a toy drive a Toyota in the week. have big plans for some track days. ive owned a few french cars in the past so i expect problems, bits falling off etc. anyone got any general advice on ownership that isnt a horror story about crap dealers and flaky electronics

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Welcome, I thought it was only a one way street. Quite a few people have gone from 172 to CTR.

the CTR was great but a really stressful car in my opinion. i had some major issues with the suspension i.e. one of the rear arms was 10mm too long, the customer service was first class and the issue was sorted straight away but it was an all or nothing motor. It wasnt an everyday car and neither will the 182 be. im not a badge snob and although the bread van was a great car my minimal time in a 182 (about 20 miles) proved that the reviews are pretty accurate and the handling and steering were major surprises. ive long been fascinated by the CTR Clio comparisons and my own experiences in the CTR proved that there isnt really much in it until you get to stupid speeds (ill not get on my pedestal about breaking the law on public roads). i test drove a fair few motors as a second "fun" car and had a decent budget but the clio (anticipated problems expected) was head and shoulders above, it was the bottom of the list when i begun test driving but top ever since i had a spin in one. its easily affordable as well which is a major bonus .. more beer tokens

the face lifted CTR was a bit of a disappointment to be honest and after 50000 miles in the CTR i needed a change ive had all sorts of motors in the past 205 1.9 GTi (classic) 306 GTi-6 (still the most amazing handling ive ever experienced) Clio Williams III (shame about the build quality), VTS (great fun car no matter what the general opinion is and bullet proof engine), scooby (major disappointment beautiful exhaust note though and very expensive to own), Integra Type-R (outstanding in every way, a must experience car if only for the Vtec kick) then CTR (great in a straight line but expensive to run)

im only really bothered about the driving experience and the clio won hands down (throw a disappointing s2000 in there as a test drive and you realise why i bought one), it was close with the elise but a k-series was out of the question.

like i say its interesting reading the comparisons between the clio and CTR build quality apart theres nothing in it in my opinion

But do the problems of the CTR compare to the 182??? LOL!!

both as bad as eachother i would have thought shocked that you went from a CTR to a clio tho?

Welcome to the site matey

Vix :)

Lee

BMW M2C

Welcome to Cliosport.:D

Ive looked at getting a CTR twice, the first time I decided on the 172 and the second I ordered a 182. Theres something about these little French boxes that puts a smile on my face when I drive them.

I cant argue with the comment about the GTi-6, I still miss my old one now.

No idea why anyone would want a CTR over a 172/182. I know that sounds predicatable with me being a Clio owner but dynamically the CTR is flawed, the chassis isnt as good and the steering very uncommunicative..surpising when a Teg is much better yet older. I think people drive it thinking "oh this gearbox and engine is great.." and then hope/expect everything else to fall into place. It doesnt.

Anyway, welcome to the club!

-Rob

"shocked that you went from a CTR to a clio tho? "

im not after 2 years in the breadvan i can see why people want them, theres a bit of an air of mystery about them i think, always double take them whenever is see one, masterstroke by honda, quick car but flawed, there was something about the way the back end handled that just never agreed with me.

"How does your old Willy 3 compare to the others youve had? Was it a new car?"

only description i can think of is the automotive equivalent of a wasp amazing pointability, badly let down by the build quality, especially the seats which wore through after just 26,000 miles, i bought it with 18,000 on. id be amazed if there were any decent ones left although i see a mint one most days on the way to work.

"not that keen on the looks? shouldnt u get a car the u like the look of?"

i cant be keen on looks really can i, i used to own a breadvan, seriously though, as a second car it has to be how it drives first, if id wanted looks id have bought an s2000 or something