ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not Lime Prime AGAIN!? Silver Clio...

Megane R26
Today's detail was on a silver Clio Dynamique, with some very tasteful mods, notably the lowering springs and the RenaultSport front grille.

The owner, Alex, a member on here, had obviously looked after this paint, and had already washed, clayed and dried it for me before I arrived.

I was greeted by a bacon sandwich, which is always a bonus, and began by taking a look at the general condition of the paint, and testing a few combinations out on the bonnet.

The paint itself was soft-medium, so after killing off a couple of Menz pads (then phoning Matt @ I4D up with another order for a whole range of pads - thanks Matt!), we decided that Alex was going to be happy with.... you guessed it! Lime Prime! Yet again, this stuff amazed me (well, us both!) as it must have corrected about 80% of the swirling with a couple of passes on a yellow 3M pad, via Chicago Rotary.

My other concern with this particular detail was achieving a finish good enough to impress Alex - an avid detailer himself, who achieves some stunning results. I always get a touch nervous when I do a light coloured car, as the results aren't always as obvious as something like black.

So, I cracked on with the Lime Prime correction. Alex helped using my Kestrel DAS-6 with Need For Speed on the lower panels. We then treat his car to two layers of Supernatural, and a final wipedown (to remove any excess wax) of Zym0l Field Glaze.

I was very happy with the finished result - superb flake popping, a great level of correction, and a very wet, reflective and glossy look to the paint.

Few pics here:

P1010331.jpg

P1010332.jpg

P1010335.jpg

P1010338.jpg

P1010340.jpg

P1010351.jpg

P1010353.jpg

P1010354.jpg

P1010356.jpg

P1010357.jpg

P1010358.jpg

P1010359.jpg

Yet again the Planet Polish Wheel Seal & Shine gave some stunning results on the wheels, check out the flake popping...

P1010333.jpg

And finally a quick pic of mine - looking very sorry for itself, and in need of a damn good clean!

P1010362.gif

Alex - thanks for the bacon and KFC mate, you are a legend :D

Cheers,

Russ.

Never liked silver cars, but when cleaned properly they do look spot on. Skills as usual. Might actually look into LP myself (hai Paul).

Top man :)

Megane R26
Thanks JD.

I didn't think I'd ever enjoy owning and detailing a silver car, but it's nice to have something a little forgiving. My R27 is a nightmare :(

Porsche Boxster987S
good stuff again. Difficult to see any correction on that colour. You should try to get more 50/50 lines and shots in your threads to show the level of correction your achieving. Although , i know myself , its difficult trying to capture defects oon camera:dapprove: Good stuff though mate:)

Bus w**ker
Good work again Russ. LP is actually on my list for this month along with a load of new pads. Shame I won't get the weather to use it for months now :(.

Never liked silver cars
:dapprove: c**t.

db

db detailing™
Lovely job Russ, silver is very hard to give that 'wow' factor to, and u have done just that!!

Only thing I would have added would be a couple of layers of Chem Guys Blitz, just to outlast the SN wax.

Megane R26
SN is pretty good - will last 3 months without trouble :)

Especially from 2 layers. Plus, he'll no doubt top it up with something anyway

120d M Sport
Massive thanks for today Russ, top job, even after my attempt to ruin it by splatting polish up the nearside :rasp:!

I was really suprised by the crisp, glossy finish Russ achieved on what is a bit of an unrewarding colour. Lime prime via rotary proved to be a bit of a weapon.

Also suprised by how good the photos are too! Shame you weren't feeling an 'action shot' , CS have missed out on seeing Russ's pretty face :(!

Cheers mate, Mum wants the Merc doing next !

120d M Sport
I used it while Russ was doing the body work, was piss easy, just work in well with an MF then buff off about 20 mins later. Great stuff, the wheels are beading

Megane R26
The Plant Polish nails the Poorboys IMO - awesome stuff!

Thanks for the kind words Alex - happy to do your Mum's motor when she's ready :)

Cheers for the help with the cards too.

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Another LP success Russ, your getting a bit good at this detailing lark ;)

Looks good, I really like the glossy effect on a nice clean silver car myself

Alex, bet your pleased with results mate ?

Megane R26
Cheers Tay.

I quite like the glossy look too - it was either that or the slightly sharper 'sealanty' look from something like Britemax, but I'm chuffed with the SuperNatural.

120d M Sport
Just a few before shots for comparison. This was as it stood before washing and claying:

Photo559.jpg

Photo560.jpg

Photo561.jpg

As you can see, rather dull and hazed, not very reflective at all.

It's now more reflective than I ever thought a silver could look.

I'd reccomend to a lot of people looking to get into machine polishing and correction, to let someone who knows what theyre doing have a go first, that way you have a great base to begin with and can pick up a few tips along the way.

Cheers, Alex

Megane R26
That's a good idea tbh Alex - I've been machine polishing for over two years in total, and learning what works well with what and when does take a fair amount of time to understand - experience makes a massive difference. Yours will be easy to maintain now, with just a light cleanse every 6 months or so.

Nobody can keep a car totally swirl free, it's near impossible, but keeping on top of it is easy enough.

120d M Sport
^ Went WS1 tonight and had a very dull one, getting back at 2am to see my car pretty much swirl free and glossing a treat under the street got my spirits back up again :D

Megane R26
It's normally pretty sweet on a Thursday tbh, but that's because I'm perving after everyone 10 years younger than me ;)

Megane R26
Buy a black car dude and see - longest I've gone is about 4 months, but it's a nightmare!

Blue's cheating ;)

White ds3
sweet glad lime prime came in handy might hav a go at this stuff. as it just sits under the other mound of unused compunds in my garage lol