ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not Normal Dans R26 Megane F1

Megane r26
Well today I was working down at centre of gravity in atherstone changing a clutch and duel mass flywheel on a 330d for a friend who happens to work there and his farther in law owns the business.

There very well known and well regarded within the Porsche circles when it comes to geometry and chassis and suspension tuning although they work on all sorts of road going and race exotica

After finishing the bmw we stuck the meg on the ramp just to makesure things are pointing the right way before my ring trip. As expected the front needed a minor tweak but everything else was above board.

I was very surprised at the rear alignment and how well it was keeping track after experiencing the clio rear beams.

For now it's all been set as standard but once back from Germany I'll be going down the coilover route and full corner weight and geo setup for specific needs

Anyway here's a few pictures

37CE0B8C-46E1-4CE4-A826-B3E082EDBB8F_zpsmzridhbj.jpg

D75FE953-2BDC-4E00-8250-64AAA4186A9B_zpsi2m66wcs.jpg

657D07B1-F967-45D6-801D-8138358EEA01_zps5kor4ply.jpg

Cheers mate

I got a slightly irregular idle but more noticeable was the "coughing" from the exhaust.

Eventually I think they bring a light on and can cause fuel cut but mine weren't quite that bad but I don't do things by half so I just stuck a set in it.

I'm having the old ones cleaned and flow tested and keeping them as spares, the actual injector coils resistance tested bang on

Cheers, I have a slightly erratic idle and have had it since purchase in 09. Runs fine, just occasional. Wondered if this could be the fix as it's not boost leak/TB related...

Megane r26
Cheers, I have a slightly erratic idle and have had it since purchase in 09. Runs fine, just occasional. Wondered if this could be the fix as it's not boost leak/TB related...

Yeah this seems fairly common and when on idle it's quite easy to see movement in the mounts if there worn

Megane r26
So I couldn't resist, sick of the standard Renault head unit and lack of connectivity so I bit the bullet and got myself a nice new pioneer unit from bass junkies in nearby Derby.

Main features I wanted out of the new unit.

Bluetooth connectivity
Aux/USB/iPod/sd card
Connectivity with car controls
And a non calculator style display

So I went for this unit

88048275-FFF5-4D74-8C51-925F74B2ED44_zpsgv788cpr.jpg

Came in at 285 with all the required looms and facias. Also the display illumination colour is changeable which is a nice feature so it blends in with dash.

So here's a few pictures of the fitting.

First off I removed the standard unit and the glovebox

03729467-2560-49BD-913C-7F71929F2097_zps8c8afmlf.jpg

Then drilled a nice hole and fitted a grommet in the glovebox for the routing of the USB cable and to keep things neat.

5F0D607C-D36C-42F3-8476-2F11F1D346B1_zpswfl38sq5.jpg

Then I connected all the connects2 loom and installed the cage, facia and head unit

38B6463E-5CC7-4C2B-A1F7-E1073272B3BE_zpsfvguis4n.jpg

Then tested it all and I must say I'm really happy with the improvements

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Love the HU mate, i wanted something "low key" looking so i bought a s/hand Becker but it doesn't have bluetooth. :(

May well end up buying one of these as Alpine units seem to be lots of flashing lights.

Megane r26
Love the HU mate, i wanted something "low key" looking so i bought a s/hand Becker but it doesn't have bluetooth. :(

May well end up buying one of these as Alpine units seem to be lots of flashing lights.

Yeah a lot of them seem to be going down the 'bling' route with Casio calculator style screens. In my opinion it really lowers the tone of the HU!

Megane r26
So had a parcel today, nothing overly exciting just some service bits from Adam at Renault Wolverhampton

7256F2DA-AD60-41DD-BDA6-3D7EEB6157AD_zpst8d97jsa.jpg

Spark Plugs

Oil

Oil filter

Pollen Filter

Also ordered some ferodo DS1.11 front pads from G172

Also popped up to see Dom at

shopnshine.co.uk

for some more detailing supplies, this guy is really competitive and doesn't try to sell you the most expensive products on the shelf. Also full of good advice when it comes to cleaning your motor

Anyway got back and thought I would give it a scrub, here's my method

Jet wash pre rinse

Valet Pro snow foam

Two bucket wash using megs gold class

Valet pro iron out

Valet pro de tar

Autobrite cherry gloss polish

Autobrite project 32 paint seal

Megs tyre gel

Autoglym wheel seal

Megs clear vue glass cleaner

Here's the result

204D227F-C1AA-44FB-89AE-5CA26B4788BC_zpsn1wohhld.jpg

432DB80F-441C-41DC-B44C-92547B1796CC_zpslhmrl024.jpg

Also sent the v5 off to the dvla to put my private reg on at last

Megane r26
Well g172 has come through yet again, ordered pads yesterday midday and just been dropped off!

Excellent service and competitive pricing, top bloke

72A80C33-1232-46A2-9E91-0FA421AE0844_zpsypgn5tdg.jpg

Megane r26
looking good. I did the engine mount on my r26. I was amazed at the difference.
I want the wheels off your 1 series!

Yeah I didn't see many 1 series with those wheels until I bought ours, now every fucker has them haha.

Yeah I changed all the mounts and it's improved it now no end, still a small vibration but I think that's normal and I'm just being picky

No worries Dan. Thanks mate!

No worries any time

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Excellent this mate. Great read.

I've got this in mine: http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-ida-x100_p-23162.htm but I'm actually looking at maybe a double din unit in the future. Can't fault the Alpine though, it's done well. Maybe I should uprate the speakers but the Megane has a bit of a piss up when it comes to door speakers as they don't help with the water retention at all. I'm fairly sure I've custom fit Pioneer door speakers currently but the passenger side has been known to collect water in the door pocket.

14536350074_0296655647_c.jpg

Megane r26
Excellent this mate. Great read.

I've got this in mine: http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-ida-x100_p-23162.htm but I'm actually looking at maybe a double din unit in the future. Can't fault the Alpine though, it's done well. Maybe I should uprate the speakers but the Megane has a bit of a piss up when it comes to door speakers as they don't help with the water retention at all. I'm fairly sure I've custom fit Pioneer door speakers currently but the passenger side has been known to collect water in the door pocket.

14536350074_0296655647_c.jpg

looking good. I did the engine mount on my r26. I was amazed at the difference.
I want the wheels off your 1 series!

Yeah the shop I bought the stereo off said they do the direct fit pioneer speakers which I will no doubt go for. I keep all the door drains unblocked but if needs be I may try and vacuum form a nice plastic enclosure

Had spare twenty minutes today so swapped the plugs so just the oil to change tomorrow and she's good. Had a good look over it last week on the ramp and all seems good. Hopefully get the pads done and the rear brakes cleaner up in the next week too and she's ready for the ring

05C49087-FAE4-4957-9633-A27536ED3473_zps2cnqv8mj.jpg

Megane r26
Well progress been a little slow, been getting ready for me holidays and new job at work coupled with loads of work on other peoples cars but I have a small update

C333725B-EEA0-4F87-889C-F9131501919B_zpsztujvufb.jpg

Finally got me paperwork off the DVLA to put me reg on the car, now it feels like me own haha

Also just booked me first proper open pit lane track day at Donnington Park in October. Really looking forward to it hopefully I can make some good improvements with me driving style and highlight areas of improvement for the meg

Megane r26
So today I decided seeing as I finally had a bit of spare time I'd fit the bits that were gathering dust behind the sofa.

These were

Ferodo DS1.11 race front pads
Me Pink brake pins
And oil and filter

First things first I thought I'd crack on with the brakes. Now I've fell victim to these w**k pins before on a few 197's which resulting in me angle grinder coming out but I knew these hadn't been done that long before I bought the car.

So I did the passenger side first and a good whack on each pin and they shot out! Then I removed the pads and gave the calipers a good clean

Old pads and pins out

FA35E713-00D0-4E9A-81CC-88D10D52DFD9_zpstqvrmgao.jpg

New pads :)

A7C02E77-175A-4487-BDEE-FF3CB2A16C98_zpspp61ivyo.jpg

New pins that use an R clip to secure instead of a w**k piece of what looks like lead

C8211EF6-9AFD-43D5-84CE-5CEBD56D9F1C_zpstmyg78a5.jpg

I fitted these and then moved onto changing the oil in prep for it's first trackday next month.

FF89E2D5-FF02-48F1-B046-8897EC10B1EB_zpstb86jei7.jpg

Genuine oil and filter was used supplied from Adam. Just been following the bedding in procedure on way home so hopefully I'll be able to give the brakes some stick soon but they already feel great over standard

Megane r26
Shed!! What bedding in procedure did you do mate? (Serious question btw - I know unusual for me!)

It's a shed alright but it's a rather fast one;)

Ferodo stated in the instructions that came with it 25-30 brake applications at 50% pedal pressure slowly bringing the vehicle to a stop, was handy as I was driving to derby through repton which has humps haha

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's a shed alright but it's a rather fast one;)

Ferodo stated in the instructions that came with it 25-30 brake applications at 50% pedal pressure slowly bringing the vehicle to a stop, was handy as I was driving to derby through repton which has humps haha
It made for a good van as well! Lol!

Ah right ok. I usually do 10 hard applications from 30-10 then up it to 60-10 for the same amount of applications. Once I've done that it's drive normal and not touch the brakes to let them cool down a bit and hey presto, brakes bedded in!!

Megane r26
It made for a good van as well! Lol!

Ah right ok. I usually do 10 hard applications from 30-10 then up it to 60-10 for the same amount of applications. Once I've done that it's drive normal and not touch the brakes to let them cool down a bit and hey presto, brakes bedded in!!

Yeah I was thinking of getting it sign written tbh "MEARS TURBO REMOVALS" haha

Yeah I normally do some firm applications leaving them time cool in between and then just take it steady for a few miles but I thought I'd follow the instructions this time haha

Megane r26
Well weekend just gone I decided to attend the West Mids Cliosport.net drive out meet to Barmouth in Wales and the Infamous evo triangle.

Was really looking forward to this as it's the first time I've had chance to take the Meg for a good leg stretch since bringing it back from Ascot when I bought it.

Needless to say it performed faultlessly all day as expected and the car really did impress me how composed it was when pushing on and making progress.

Anyway here's a couple of pics, one courtesy of steBurns

6B8234C8-655A-4EA4-8E3B-9B86BD505FE3_zpsh3qhb20i.jpg

6F7F0AE6-C22C-4F31-8A8E-E5B489132733_zpsjafeiisb.jpg

Enjoy

Swift Sport
Good to see you're happy with it, Dan!

It seemed to waft along with ease through Wales, and I'm certain it was a more relaxing journey than mine!

It's still on my list of car I'd like to own... One day maybe!

Megane r26
Good to see you're happy with it, Dan!

It seemed to waft along with ease through Wales, and I'm certain it was a more relaxing journey than mine!

It's still on my list of car I'd like to own... One day maybe!

Yeah I'd say that's the main benefit of them over a clio, the extra low down power means you can be a bit lazy with it and still make progress.

Looking forward to tinkering with it though as mapping them etc really transforms them into a bit of an animal.

Hey that ignis still help its own that's for sure and for a 1.5 it certainly shuffles

Megane r26
So I went down to Pfc expo today at donnington park, seemed rude not too seeing as it's only 10 minutes away.

Had a great day and parked on the CS stand and top marks to the guys that organised the stand as it was in a good location and good show of cars and of course good refreshments (which the missus seemed rather happy about).

Now I've been having a bit of a dilemma with what route to go down with exhaust for the Meg, do I go 3inch and risk it being tad on the loud side or do I stick to 2.75?

Well after speaking with @Gray who informed me scorpion were making a new system and I did a bit of digging but didn't quite find the info I wanted.

Well today the scorpion guys and the Whybee guys (distributor) were there and answered all my questions and even had a demo car there.

Now the system with downpipe/decat 3 inch with one silencer retails at £645 which seems to be going rate for all other systems.

Well the inevitable happened and took one away with me, for a steal at 420! The demo car was ever so quiet with the same system even at 4500 so that made my mind up
61CDD19C-BBB6-4DF0-B6C0-1B9E48DE7C42_zpsk8i0ajd9.jpg