ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noticable difference between a 172 Cup and a FF

B

Bucko

Hi guys,

When I was trying to decide what car to buy, the thing that did it in the end was the fact that the Cup was only 0.3secs quicker to 60mph and i was willing to sacrifice those 0.3secs for the extras that the full fat version offers.

Having never driven a Cup, i've just started wandering today about what difference that speed makes, what it feels like.

6.7secs vs 7.0 secs...is the Cup really noticably quicker?

Bucko

172 cup
On the road you'll probably never 'feel' the difference. I bought my cup because the wheels alone make it look a hell of alot better!

B

Bucko

Yeah, i'm only really talking about everyday driving, not track stuff. Good news so far, i was starting to think that i should be ashamed of owning the slowest Renaultsport Clio.

I actually think th wheels on my FF look better, and i love the half leather seats compared to the cloth trim of the Cup.

I'm still happy about my decision...so far anyway (depends on further comments)

Mondeo TDCI 130
Clio cup :
power to weight : 171BHP / ton
0-60 : 6.5 sec.

Standard 172 :
Power to weight : 156BHP / ton
0-60 : 7.1 sec.

Nippy white cup
I think book figures don't give you the full story tbh...there is more to the Cup than just .3 secs or whatever to 60. The typical variety of engines can make or break the car but with identical engines/drivers/conditions the Cup will be fast...good FF against a cack Cup and the outcome is obviously different but there doesn't seem to be as many 'weak' cups as there are 172s

Chris

B

Bucko

Clio cup :
power to weight : 171BHP / ton
0-60 : 6.5 sec.

Standard 172 :
Power to weight : 156BHP / ton
0-60 : 7.1 sec.

Where did these figures come from? I thought it was just a 100kg difference?

clio 172 cup
handling is better on the cup due to wider track etc
better alloys
looks better in blue
seats can always be changed
i read it on autoexpress r sumwhere the 90kg saving on the cup makes it *feel* faster through the revs, ive put 90kg of weight into my cup before to see the difference, it felt slower at low revs because the clio hasnt got the torque to pull loads of weight.

VaVa
89kg. Cup 1021 v's 1110. And the 7.1 time is actually 0-100 kph or 62 mph.

The biggest difference the weight made imho is how much more nimble the car feels imho. It just feels more on it's toes and a bit twitchier.

B

Bucko

Where did these figures come from? I thought it was just a 100kg difference?

Renault press release brochure that came with the car!

Didn't mean to sound harsh there, i was just interested where the stats were from because i don't know anything about the power/weight ratios of the two cars.

The stats i got were from the facts and figures section of Parkers.co.uk...probably not the best site but it's good for a quick reference when comparing different cars

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Imagine a 172 driving it's self, that about the same weight difference.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Bucko,

If you want to LIVE with the car, then you've made the right choice.

The amount of times come c*nt has pulled out of a side road/roundabout in front of me and I've needed to use the ABS, I'm happy I bought a FF. Or even on the odd occasion that I've misjudged something.:eek:

And I do drive responsibly, so its not because of hooning about.:rolleyes:

Cup is a superb car though, and on track where you dont need the luxuries, you cant go wrong.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Renault press release brochure that came with the car!

Didn't mean to sound harsh there, i was just interested where the stats were from because i don't know anything about the power/weight ratios of the two cars.

The stats i got were from the facts and figures section of Parkers.co.uk...probably not the best site but it's good for a quick reference when comparing different cars

No worries dude, yeah i got a brochure thingy, has the 172 / cup / V^, all about there history, back is full of stats, MPG etc etc!! Not saying its gospel like!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Thought there was only a 172 or 172 cup, no FF technically.

Interesting read, as I've been considering both as well.

How does the Cup compare with a phase 1 172 though, since they're about the same weight aren't they?

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Dont wind up DrRollo. He's FF police.:rasp:

Its either 'Cup' or 'Full Fat' as they have been colloquially known on here.

If its Standard with cup packs its cupped, not full fat.

ie.

FF - standard 172/182
Cup - 172/182 Cup
Cupped - standard 182 with cup pack

Seats and all that mean f**k all to me.
If i wanted Luxury i would of brought a Jag
Can pick an x-type up for around 6 G 7 same price has a 182 ff or whatever
Proper full leater seats tv in dash oak dials Y'all know the drill..

I wouldnt buy a 172 cup though
missing ABS makes a effing big difference completley.
172 on the moterway at around a 1 er feels like it can
fall of the road at any time. a 182 cup just feels so much stronger
and pulls more at that speed

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Utter s**t. Not that I'd know (2x 172's, 1x182cup, 1xTrophy). Well done;).

Focus RS Mk1
im happy with my full fat, yes it may be a little slower, but with fuel prices the way they are at the moment who's really driving that fast to care about who's car is quicker...

all im concerned about right now is that im hitting 40mpg easily and not having to fork out hundreds of pounds in fuel each month just for the sake of driving a little calmer and slower...

I drove my mates cup 172 and his defo felt nippier through the revs, it felt much twitchier and had a lot more torque steer...

although in my own opinion the full fat felt a little more planted and stable...more solid too. i prefered my full fat over the cup but no doubt about it the cup was defo a quicker car...

the cup was eibach prolines, my full fat is on coilovers...so maybe mine feels a lot stiffer...

That's a lot of b****cks in one post. Good work lol

Utter s**t. Not that I'd know (2x 172's, 1x182cup, 1xTrophy). Well done;).

LOL!!!!!

LY R26
Only Clios Ive driven are a completely standard 182 and my 172 Cup,

My 172 Cup is quicker,
but sometimes I think I made the wrong decision and should of gone for leather and luxuries...
more stuff to go wrong though, I guess.

BMW E46 330i Touring
My Cup feels quicker than my old Ph1, a lot more planted and purposeful and torque steer is much more evident.

The ph1 felt rawer in the lower revs, but I think that is probably more to do with the engine being looser compared to my Cup.

MCS R56

Yeah, okay. I wonder how Renault managed that with the 182?

The 182 pulls no more than the 172. Half the 182's don't even make close to 180bhp, so I'm not sure how it pulls more or even feels stronger!

clio rs
cup is alot faster but abs is very much needed, forget the other stuff, iv driven both cars, and i own a cup, i wont go back to the 172ff, as the cup feels alot more fun....

ClioSport 172
I got the FF cause I wanted the fancy extras. Ok it may be a tad slower than the cups, but how often am I going to actually care about that!

Ok a little bit last night cause I raced my mates 182 cup & got handed my ass in my hand, but normally its fast enough to beat most cars!

I like the fancy extras, its nice on a day to day basis & just driving normally, thats why I went for a FF

clio rs
when racing in my cup & i go head-on with another very fast car, u feel good that u bought the cup, knowing if u bought the 172ff u wud have lost. Its those few seconds that make all worth it.

loosing a race in a cup, u wud have to be a pretty s**t driver.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Thats an impressive amount of drivel in one post.

I don't think i've ever felt like i was going to "fall off the road at any time" when driving at considerable motorway speed. :S