ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noticable difference between a 172 Cup and a FF

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
we always get the non abs post on here. lol. and i wouldnt mind having it to be honest but....

to be fair, knowing i haven't got it makes me drive more cautiosly in general and especially in the soaking wet. i think twice before undertaking any manouver and the only place i feel can really go for it is on a track or airfield ( in my opinion, for myself it has made me a better driver as i dont take the risks i used to)

as for the other luxuries. i couldnt care less myself.

B

Bucko

So, after 4 pages of generally off topic banter, i've worked out that in everyday driving the 0.3 secs is not noticable.

I'm happy i chose the FF rather than the Cup, mainly because of the so called 'luxury' of not killing a child as it runs out into the road after his football, but also because of the seats. The climate control really doesn't bother me though, i'd rather just wind the window down.

I completely understand that everyone on here is biased towards their own car but it doesn't mean you can't appreciate the other models. I would love a cup if I was into trackdays and i do love Mondial blue.

Bucko

Nippy white cup
Down to personal preference, but anyone saying ABS is irrelevant is a tool. I know all CSer's can drive like Michael Scumacher, whilst earning there CS wage, but ABS has been one of the biggest safety advances over the last 30 years. On, no, but wait, it's worse on gravel and snow, which I drive maybe 2 days a year? FFS don't be so defensive, just a car.
(PS love the quote about false sense of security, I love driving round, tailgaiting the car infront, singing about how ABS makes me invincible. Utter s**t)

100% agree.

I love my Cup and would never swap it for an FF, not fussed about A/C, Xenons or Leather, but I would feel a hell of a lot safer knowing I had ABS. As much as I like to imagine I'm blessed with McRae levels of skill behind the wheel, I know that in the split second it takes for someone to jump out in front of me whilst i'm tooling along, my instant reaction would be to stamp the brake pedal through the floor, lock up and let fate decide the outcome.

Bit irrelevant to the original question I spose but just wanted to add my 2 pennies worth.

P.S. Cups look the best;)

Thats the thing tho...the idea is to pick the right moment to 'tool' along. There is no denying that ABS is a superb idea but if you only have time to slam on then tbh you are either diving too fast/too close or you wouldn't have time to brake and swerve out of danger which is the main point of ABS imo. You won't stop much quicker than without abs but at least with abs you can still steer

just my opinion and no I don't think I am the worlds best driver...just maybe more sensible than some out there

Chris

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
100% agree.

I love my Cup and would never swap it for an FF, not fussed about A/C, Xenons or Leather, but I would feel a hell of a lot safer knowing I had ABS. As much as I like to imagine I'm blessed with McRae levels of skill behind the wheel, I know that in the split second it takes for someone to jump out in front of me whilst i'm tooling along, my instant reaction would be to stamp the brake pedal through the floor, lock up and let fate decide the outcome.

Bit irrelevant to the original question I spose but just wanted to add my 2 pennies worth.

Thats the thing tho...the idea is to pick the right moment to 'tool' along. There is no denying that ABS is a superb idea but if you only have time to slam on then tbh you are either diving too fast/too close or you wouldn't have time to brake and swerve out of danger which is the main point of ABS imo. You won't stop much quicker than without abs but at least with abs you can still steer

just my opinion and no I don't think I am the worlds best driver...just maybe more sensible than some out there

Chris
Very true, ideally shouldn't have to slam the anchors on.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
On the ABS subject

ABS has saved me hitting a deer once. I was doing 60 along a r-road, damp surface and as I go around a long swiping bend a stag walks out in front of me. I hit the breaks and steer around it. Had a similar instance 5 year before in my XR2i and it was a pump the break session and a wheel on a bank before I had full control again.

To most of the population ABS will defiantly helps prevent t accidents as I have seen many instances on my travels (especially on the M-way) with people locking up and rear ending people, but to the more experienced / drive-focused driver (such as most on here) ABS isn’t such a issue/need.

It also helps in aquaplaning situations which I have also seen / experienced.

id rather have a FF than a cup (i have not driven a cup i'll admit) as after having little runs with cups they have pulled a maybe 1/2 meter but had no more speed in bends in my experience.

MCS R56
Being able to lock the brakes will soon be a thing of the past. Cup owners should enjoy the privilege when they can.

Personally, I try to do it every day.

The driver should be the one controlling, not the car!

BMW bus

Chris

Just to clarify, I dont drive everywhere like a complete @srehole or anything, but there is the odd occasion where I give it a bit of a blast.
I just meant that yes, in theory we shouldnt need ABS as we should all be driving sensibly etc etc etc, but sometimes things happen which you cannot foresee, and ABS would be a nice thing to have on those occasions (thats my opinion anyway)

Anyhoo, as has been stated previously, I probably drive a lot slower these days due to the fact I know I havent got ABS, so in a weird way it has probably made me a safer driver - especially in the wet

MCS R56

Just to clarify, I dont drive everywhere like a complete @srehole or anything, but there is the odd occasion where I give it a bit of a blast.
I just meant that yes, in theory we shouldnt need ABS as we should all be driving sensibly etc etc etc, but sometimes things happen which you cannot foresee, and ABS would be a nice thing to have on those occasions (thats my opinion anyway)

Anyhoo, as has been stated previously, I probably drive a lot slower these days due to the fact I know I havent got ABS, so in a weird way it has probably made me a safer driver - especially in the wet

It's the old theory of, if we had bombs attached to the front of our cars that detonate upon impact, we would all drive a lot better and safer. The more safe cars become, the less the effort and skill requirement.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
On the roads, it'd be so close that it was down to the driver. A well driven one of either could get away from the other driven badly.

Being able to lock the brakes will soon be a thing of the past. Cup owners should enjoy the privilege when they can.

Ummm except that the 172 Cup has FBW accellerator so theres not direct connection between the right foot and the throttle!! The ECU controls the throttle so you're never fully in control!:rasp:

100% agree.

Why cant everyone else have this attitude!

Christ there is negligible advantages to having a cup other than you'll be 2k richer.

If you can live without the luxuries and dont mind not having ABS give it a go but otherwise it makes little to no sense what so ever to go for a Cup over a FF....

In your opinion.

Negligible advantages? What shite.

Which is more fun and exciting to drive? What do I care most about?

How about not having those awful 5 spokes? ;)

MCS R56

Ummm except that the 172 Cup has FBW accellerator so theres not direct connection between the right foot and the throttle!! The ECU controls the throttle so you're never fully in control!:rasp:

May be so but the car is not intervening under throttle. When the ABS kicks in or traction control the car is stepping in. Not really the same.

A4 oil burner !!!
I have had my cup for over 4 years now and love it to bits !

I test drove numerous FF 172's and a couple of cups before buying mine and my cup felt to me so much more like a hot hatch should. Perhaps this was the lack of sound proofing and firmer ride but that sense of rawness was a major factor in determining where my hard earned went.

The FF's brakes were hard to get used to and the ABS judder kicked in far to intrusively for my liking.

A year later i test drove the 182 trophy to see what all the hype was about and i was impressed with the ride quality and speed through tight corners etc. It didnt feel any quicker (straight line), on the contrary, but you felt you could stay off the brakes a little longer perhaps due to the (false) security of having ABS.

Now my cup has H&R's and better brakes so i have become accustomed to its braking traits.

Saying that i didnt go too mad around Cadwell but in the words of Yozza i let the inner hooligan out around Bedford Autodrome!!!

Two other reasons for buying my cup :

The literature at the time stated that it would depreciate better then the FF.

I also still have the what car issue where they had a 172 Cup vs mini cooper S road test.

The test driver said something like "If the mini had around 170 horses under the bonnet this clio feels like it has 200 !!! "

I never looked back !!

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
cup felt to me so much more like a hot hatch should

That sums it up about right for me after driving a ff and my cup. I nearly even swapped my cup a couple of weeks age for the bro-in laws traded in 182 (In mitsubishi weston anyone on here bought it?) but decided to spend some readies on the old cup feels to me a little more eager and willing. Maybe i've just got a good one.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
I have had my cup for over 4 years now and love it to bits !

I test drove numerous FF 172's and a couple of cups before buying mine and my cup felt to me so much more like a hot hatch should.

That sums it up about right for me after driving a ff and my cup. I nearly even swapped my cup a couple of weeks age for the bro-in laws traded in 182 (In mitsubishi weston anyone on here bought it?) but decided to spend some readies on the old cup feels to me a little more eager and willing. Maybe i've just got a good one.

clio sport 2.0 16V 2002
Please I would like order some lightparts from clio cup.But without VIN number of cup my renault dealer cannot this book :(
PLS pmd

Black Gold with cup packs
You have already proved you are tight for cash because the normal 172's are a fair bit cheaper than the cups!

Lol...I could have saved three grand buying a cup over the FF when I bought mine from new.

You checked the prices of 172cups recently? In comparision to a normal 172 there is a difference. A low mileage mint 172 cup I have seen some sell for £6000-£6500. Alot of 182's are going for that. Prior to buying my mint 172cup for £6100, I could have had a mint low mileage RB 182cup for £6500 05 registered 26k on the clock.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Just an another note - I've found since I've owned a car with A/C I wouldn't even look at a car without now. Rightly or wrongly - it's just so, so much nicer in summer/warm day. Especially on motorways where having the window open is just too damn loud and buffety - takes away any vague possibility of having a conversation heh. But then a mate of mine has a CTR without A/C, and he doesn't see it as a priority but does away say when he gets in mine when it's warm that he wishes he had A/C as it feel so good when you get out of the sun, into a car where that A/C has been on for 10 minutes hehe!

The trip we just did, details in the road driving stories, all 3 of us agreed it would have been impossible without A/C. It was 40c stationary at some points, and we drove for like 10 hours. I genuinely beleive you'd be proper putting your health/safety at risk - it was that warm when we got into the car having left it parked for half an hour, when I jumped in it made me feel a bit iffy/faint heh! At the very worst you'd have been incredibly uncomfortable - and had an awful trip. We were drinking constantly, even with the air full on, I imagine without you probably wouldn't be able to drink enough to deafeat the heat heh! Without the AC, you'd have been that hot you wouldn't be able to concentrate on the roads, I'm sure of it, I really can't find words for how warm it was in the car before the aircon did it's work...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Opening doors, windows, boot, and whacking the non-aircon blower to the coolest max for 10 minutes before climbing in FTW

That's what I do.

I still can't see the fascination...the thought of spending 10 hours closed in with two others with no fresh air turns my stomach.

Airconned air has a smell and taste to it...alright for a period...but give me warm fresh air any day.

Nippy white cup
Just an another note - I've found since I've owned a car with A/C I wouldn't even look at a car without now. Rightly or wrongly - it's just so, so much nicer in summer/warm day. Especially on motorways where having the window open is just too damn loud and buffety - takes away any vague possibility of having a conversation heh. But then a mate of mine has a CTR without A/C, and he doesn't see it as a priority but does away say when he gets in mine when it's warm that he wishes he had A/C as it feel so good when you get out of the sun, into a car where that A/C has been on for 10 minutes hehe!

The trip we just did, details in the road driving stories, all 3 of us agreed it would have been impossible without A/C. It was 40c stationary at some points, and we drove for like 10 hours. I genuinely beleive you'd be proper putting your health/safety at risk - it was that warm when we got into the car having left it parked for half an hour, when I jumped in it made me feel a bit iffy/faint heh! At the very worst you'd have been incredibly uncomfortable - and had an awful trip. We were drinking constantly, even with the air full on, I imagine without you probably wouldn't be able to drink enough to deafeat the heat heh! Without the AC, you'd have been that hot you wouldn't be able to concentrate on the roads, I'm sure of it, I really can't find words for how warm it was in the car before the aircon did it's work...

I can see your point but unless Scarborough is a lot warmer than Blackburn then I could probably count days in the high 30's on the fingers on Jeremy Beadles stump! Overseas is a different story...much drier heat and as this post shows, some people can't do without it and others aren't fussed. I have a 182 and a Cup and although it is nice to have the aircon in hot weather I still wouldn't change having my windows down and blasting along in the cup ;)

Chris

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Oh absolutely, I'm just saying, if you're ever likely to do a trip like that heh!

Dan

200 cup & 106 GTi
Just get a trophy!

More fun on back roads, probably most english roads with the sachs dampers really doing their work. It's lighter than an FF(approx halfway between cup and FF apparently...), it is the most comfy to sit in, the FF seats aren't that supportive i find, has the visual mods of the cup, still has air con and ABS. Best of both worlds.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its the same weight as a 182 cup,so thats 20kgs lighter than a standard 182?

Ph1
Never been in a position to use the ABS on the road in 106 thousand miles of driving in the ph1 and if a danger situation did happen the chances of actually being quick enough to react, weigh up the situation and then swerve round all in 0.0000001 of a second to avoid the object, the whole point of ABS, would be very very slim.