ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Novice Saxo VTS Track car - Donny style

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
So I bought Matthew's VTS - which was previously someone's on the 106owners forum's girlfriends or something. I've wanted to do track days for about 5 years, but never had the balls with my own daily use car + funds etc etc. When the baby was born, I thought it would never happen but my wife has suprisingly allowed it to happen (cheers love).

Note: this is track day running on a budget.

Here it is the day I picked it up:

6952821106_6e9e88d8b5_z.jpg

75k, lowered on Gmax springs at the front, torsion bar at the rear. Filter and exhaust also. Few dings and scars but nothing amazing to report. The car is solid underneath, a little cosmetically unclean but no problem.

I basically drove it home and parked it up and today was the only time to start getting a list together (which then turned into doing stuff - as you do)...
First thing was to sort the basics. The car needs to be road worthy and if something isn't right, It just pi$$es me off to the point I have to sort it anyway. I'll be stripping it and keeping all the parts - but before all that I cracked on with the basics I could do in 60 mins.

The nearside headlight was knocking. I had a look and found this:

IMG_1211.jpg

Note: large washer, but still cracked plastic bracket.

IMG_1212.jpg

Home made top bracket FTL.

I've removed the headlight and ordered a new one.

IMG_1221.jpg

Looks like someone has nudged something with the bonnet and thus it's broken the light brackets.

Bit of panel beating:

IMG_1222.jpg

It doesn't rest on the light now at least. One job done.

Next, the ECU cover...

IMG_1213.jpg

It wasn't fitting right and rattling away, so much so its started to rub through some cables.

IMG_1216.jpg

And rubbing on the bulkhead as pictured too.

Cable protection restored and made my own bracket adjustments so it fits snug with no rattles.

IMG_1226.jpg

Next up was the air filter and cam breather...

IMG_1217.jpg

Home made cam breather - oh dear. YES that is wirewool and a bottle top.

Whipped that off and the air filter. Will probably end up saving for a simota intake but have ordered a generic 19mm breather to go on for now.
Cleaned the throttle body whilst I was there too.

The previous owners had a sub, head unit, upgraded tweeters and door speakers. So whipped them all out as well (ebay). Found that the sub's power lead went under the car and in through the bottom of the passenger footwell :S then under the carpet to the boot.
Whilst I was pulling the cables through I found these under the back seat.

IMG_1223.jpg

Technically by removing them I have gained £5 off No7 makeup (at boots) and saved 0.01grams on the track car kerb weight. The car parts receipt shows spark plugs and oil were done in 2011 - so that saves me doing them - will still check the quality later though, before her first outing.

Next up was the bodykit. Its not sitting right on the passenger side arch/side skirt and doesn't sit right on either side rear section of the side skirts.
Took the arch one off to find that all of the clips had broken and that it was actually tie-wrapped on the underside of the car.

IMG_1228.jpg

Ordered the repair kit from Citroen, so they'll sit back nicely.

Guilty items: The metal bracket should actually be on the inside of the kit, but it has corroded and was just vibrating on the wing.

IMG_1231.jpg

This is the driver side rear section of the side skirt. You can just see the white clip, which is broken.

IMG_1233.jpg

That was it for today. Only had an hour.
Parts ordered from Ebay and the first stage will be complete at the weekend.

The next jobs (next week):

- Tracking
- New Brake Fluid
- Check plugs and oil
- Check coolant
- Check exhaust hangers
- New Discs and pads
- Check and tighten gear linkage - a bit of a mixing bowl atm.
- Stage 1 interior removal (+ spare wheel/cage)
- Spend the £5 voucher on some new blusher

That oil filter!!!!

No way that's what was under there, propper job!

In one day of ownership you noticed about 10 things I didn't mange to in 2 months!!!

Get cracking on mate, I want a passenger ride at Elvington still ;)

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
That oil filter!!!!

No way that's what was under there, propper job!

In one day of ownership you noticed about 10 things I didn't mange to in 2 months!!!

Get cracking on mate, I want a passenger ride at Elvington still ;)

I did LOL at the filter mate - thought you'd like it. Even more so when I jacked it up (after parking it on some wood! damn this thing is lowz) and noticed the NSF wing body kit was completely held on by a cable tie pulling it underneath.

Just need to get a full day on it and she'll be ready - just finding the time, what with working and the young un.

You got a helmet? bring it along if so - passenger rides are for taxi's mate, you can take the wheel.

I did LOL at the filter mate - thought you'd like it. Even more so when I jacked it up (after parking it on some wood! damn this thing is lowz) and noticed the NSF wing body kit was completely held on by a cable tie pulling it underneath.

Just need to get a full day on it and she'll be ready - just finding the time, what with working and the young un.

You got a helmet? bring it along if so - passenger rides are for taxi's mate, you can take the wheel.

Cant beleive anyone would use wire wool and a bottle top for a filter though, must be a £5 part!?!

I took it to a place in Huddersfield for the tracking when I got it, they wouldn't do it due to being too low!

The joys of mega, and I do mean mega, handling!!

Yeah got a helmet mate, sounds good to me!! :)

I don't think I would have tracked this one! 3 plug iirc? and Slooow :( I hope to god Marv didn't do those bodges!

Disastra Coupe
I don't think I would have tracked this one! 3 plug iirc? and Slooow :( I hope to god Marv didn't do those bodges!

3 plug isn't a problem unless you're going to start messing with ITB's or boost. He said budget track day car so i doubt either of those are on his agenda.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
3 plug isn't a problem unless you're going to start messing with ITB's or boost. He said budget track day car so i doubt either of those are on his agenda.

Correct bud, donny is the poverty capital of the north, this is a budget spec machine.

330i. E30 Touring.
Whats everyone on about 3 plug?!

The engine loom has three plugs, rather than just one. Came on the later 106 GTi's/VTS'.

Doesn't make a huge difference really if going for new ITB's/mods, but most of the second hand bits kicking about are based around a single plug ECU/Loom..

Yeah this used to be Marvvv's old car, and his girlfriends before he owned it.

I had it, circa 3 months and it ran like a dream.

Its the 1st car I have owned without having any problems to fix (the irony its a 12 year old French tin can too)

M2 Comp
Nice car! Not long sold my Saxo and really miss it at times, will definitely buy one again in the future and do what you're doing!

I have for-sale a genuine B&M quick-shift if you're interested. I never got round to fitting it to mine sadly. I paid £100 for it but would let it go for £60 delivered if you wanted it. Do some resarch on them if you've not already, they are said to be by far the best quick-shift available for the Saxo/106 and really improve gear changes. Sorry if you take this as spam, but I genuinely thought it may be of interest to you....

Good luck with the project :)

Ive just sold my VTS converted VTR today! Single plug with 2 prong engine meant it was quickest of the bunch (jokes). Yeah I was on about the ecu. I should have rephrased that, its not slower just smoother delivery so they feel slower as the speed kind of creeps up on you.

Disastra Coupe
The great thing about VTS' is a lot of folks just think 'bah, it's a chavvy Saxo'... They're bloody quick car's for what they are. Admittedly, they're no rocket ship but they'll stick to the arse of a 172 for a good while! Surprise a lot of bigger cars. You'll love it! :)

Megane r26
Saxos are great, capable little cars. I had a couple before I moved onto to clios an I can't fault them, there cheap an simple to fix (ideal for diy mechanic) an theres loads of performance bolt on bits out there for them. Be keeping an eye on this one

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Cheers for the comments.

Stocked up on a few bits locally today whilst waiting for eBay purchases to arrive.
Spent £80 on new front discs and pads (mintex), brake fluid, engine oil, oil filter. Before anyone states quiche Lorraine or brimbo brakes, donny style prevents me from buying anything decent.

Stripping will commence (the car) on Friday. Tracking too and thus once all the bits arrive to fix the minor issues on the first page and the change of brakes etc and bits bought today, that will do pretty much do for the first outing. Will check over the zorst and coolants on Sunday.

If anyone wants to see me hit some cones, be at elvington on the 5th.

P.s to the dude who offered the short shift, may take that, but will see how she goes first.

Good buy, I had a good long think over this for a while if it was a up a little later I would of had it for sure.

Plans sound good though will make a epic track toy.

Jay, how did you get on with your 106/saxo hunt?

I know you were looking for one the same time as me...

I called it off for a while after speaking to a mortgage advisor. I will have some spare cash floating about soon though so I will be back in the hunt. Plus when I move a 2nd car will be needed.

I called it off for a while after speaking to a mortgage advisor. I will have some spare cash floating about soon though so I will be back in the hunt. Plus when I move a 2nd car will be needed.

Fair enough mate.

We are rolling in a "one car house" now, looking for a nice RB 182, cant find one anywhere though thats a good'un

(Sorry for going off topic Phill) ;)

CBR1000RR Fireblade
There is so much fail in this thread it's unbelievable. I'll leave it at that.

To the OP; this car should be a nice little track car once you have fixed all the faults. If you can find a Saxo that's not rusted or had the rear beam collapse etc they can be bargain track cars. I thought about buying another one, after having 3 already including a 137WHP cammed track car, I did fancy another one. Especially how cheap they are now, you can get a minter for £700.

Fair enough mate.

We are rolling in a "one car house" now, looking for a nice RB 182, cant find one anywhere though thats a good'un

(Sorry for going off topic Phill) ;)

I would love to get back in a RB 182 one day miss mine like mad. Good luck with the search though mate.

120d M Sport
Great car, I used to have a 106 GTI myself and had the same issues with the bodykit coming loose. I'd be tempted to buy a full set of new clips, whip it all off and refit it lol.

First thing I'd be doing with that though is getting it on some decent suspension and having the rear raised a bit. My mate has just had the apex -25mm spring and shock kit fitted to his, cost £200 all in and I am very impressed with it. That might come as a suprise given how poor Apex products are for Clio's, but it genuinely is decent for the money and is well rated!

I said to Matt when he owned it that it could benefit from the rear being raised a bit but that's up to you.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Great car, I used to have a 106 GTI myself and had the same issues with the bodykit coming loose. I'd be tempted to buy a full set of new clips, whip it all off and refit it lol.

First thing I'd be doing with that though is getting it on some decent suspension and having the rear raised a bit. My mate has just had the apex -25mm spring and shock kit fitted to his, cost £200 all in and I am very impressed with it. That might come as a suprise given how poor Apex products are for Clio's, but it genuinely is decent for the money and is well rated!

I said to Matt when he owned it that it could benefit from the rear being raised a bit but that's up to you.

New clips ordered right at the start chief - should be here today :)

I see what you are saying about suspension - but do remember that a) the car has not turned a wheel on track yet and b) the budget.

I have no idea how it handles in its current form, so the first outing will be proving ground. If its cack, then its cack and I have something to save for - but I could through £££'s at it and not notice a difference or even think it needs doing - we'll see. Your experience and knowledge is good to know and I've noted your comments about the springs - so its appreciated.

In terms of the rear, once I've stripped a few bits tomorrow I'll re-assess the lowz. No point doing anything other than prep'ing it to be safe and fun in its current guise. Again, if it needs to come up, it'll be on the list to do after the first run, but I'm currently debating a bit of tuition as I'm sh*t at driving on the road never mind a track.