ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Novice Saxo VTS Track car - Donny style

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I love these two tone saxo's - Not many VTS' I heard? only ever see two tone VTR's...

pimp mobile Zafira
You fixed the pheasant yet?
Not yet what with getting money together for the baby and the Ring trip it's kind of been put in the back burner. When I get back from the ring at the end of the month I think I'll start off with getting hold of a Skoda splitter to replace the snappe one.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Now that the next track day is booked - I thought I best pull my finger out.

First up was to finish stripping the doors - then I realised I needed some door pullers. Budget build FTW, I found an old paper bag and cut off the straps. Pikey I know, but it works.

IMG_1329.jpg

I needed to fix my harness bracket. The problem with using the bolt holes for the seatbelts is obviously that there is no bolt hole in the centre of the car to fix the left lower strap to. So I kinda made one, with my old mans assistance. It now allows two mounting points - so will come in handy when I finally sort the passenger seat.

IMG_1330.jpg

Then my mate went and bought a track prep'd saxo for peanuts, with all the mods I want :( wel-jel.

IMG_1340.jpg

I saw a top and bottom strut brace (new) on saxp - so thought why not.

IMG_1368.jpg

And then bought a £28 Obd reader to see what the EML was on for.

IMG_1369.jpg

As suspected, it was on because of the decat and dodgy readings from the o2 sensor when the beast was getting a thrashing on track. Nothing to worry about.

The next fix was to sort the air filter - and I did LOL when its replacement arrived. Its a fake simota job thats just basically a plastic housing for an unknown brand air filter. It also didn't fit and has '206' moulded on the top. I think the idea was sound, but the end product is poo (does sound good though). I did a bit of DIY and got it to fit, for now. Green Cotton on the way.

IMG_1370.jpg

Then came the top brace. Dont think it will do anything, but will be good for drying socks and curing meat at the track side.

IMG_1376.jpg

B&M quickshift fitted - £50 from Tommo from here. Really does improve the change - despite me needing to replace a few OEM linkages further down the selector rods - will try order them this week.

IMG_1377.jpg

Lower brace fitted - may have to be careful with speed bumps and road kill.

IMG_1378.jpg

I then decided to treat myself to a cordless impact wrench. Without a doubt, it is the best powertool I've ever bought - Suprising powerful as well. This will come in handy at the track.

IMG_1380.jpg

The impact gun is needed for a set of track wheels I've bought from the bay. Collected locally, they are 306 Cyclone wheels. Trial fitted one to the front - although track tyres are on the way - they'll be 50 profile, rather than the 55 thats on there at the mo.

IMG_1382.jpg

So I can rock up to the track on my road wheels and switch for slicks :)

The current tyres are 195/55/15 on the cyclones and they'll be removed + binned. The current saxo VTS rims have 195/45/15. But the Toyo's will be 195/50/15. I'm a bit worried that 50 profile might still be too big on the rim - I mean, just look how mad a 55 profile is!

IMG_1383.jpg

I've seen a few on Sax-p running 50 profile lowered 60mm or so - I think I'll just get away with it.

Next steps are to get the grinder on the interior, as there are a few sharps that could cause offence. Obviously track tyres to get fitted. Also would like a ratchet strap so I can secure the track wheels in the boot. I've also got (nearly got) from Deany some 306 GTI calipers, as part of a longer term project of upgrading the brakes.
I need to make a switch plate to mount the window switches where the head unit used to go - but i can do that on a night this week. Waiting on a replacment air filter from Ebayz and last but not least, I would like some driving gloves!

Can't wait for the next track day though :approve:

Last edited:
  clio 172 phase 2
I had cyclones on my saxo mate with 195-50-15 yoko parada spec 2 lowered 50 mm rubbed like mad on the rear had to modify the rear bumper bracket also rubbed on full lock on the front

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I had cyclones on my saxo mate with 195-50-15 yoko parada spec 2 lowered 50 mm rubbed like mad on the rear had to modify the rear bumper bracket also rubbed on full lock on the front

Hmmm.
Full lock it rubs on the 45's so I guess that isn't tooooooo bad.
Was yours a track car?
There isn't anything in the rear and it's higher than the front. I was more worried about the fronts... But now youve got me thinking of the back.
Only one way to find out....

Alien Green 200
I had them calipers for you at topo! Hace to be another time man.

Re: Tyres, some people rub on 50's some dont, mine rubbed just chopped the bumper bracket with a stanley and bashed the metal bit out of the way. Depends on tyre brand on the front, some rub some dont.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I had them calipers for you at topo! Hace to be another time man.

Re: Tyres, some people rub on 50's some dont, mine rubbed just chopped the bumper bracket with a stanley and bashed the metal bit out of the way. Depends on tyre brand on the front, some rub some dont.

Dude, totally forgot about TOPO. the weeks have flown by and I got the dates all mixed up. could have done with a handy PM reminder!!! ;)
I'll still have them though mate. If you're in need of the coin, then feel free to visit and I will hand over some scottish notes and old 50p's to settle the debt.

Tyres have arrived today, fitting next week. Will soon find out!

Alien Green 200
I was busy moving house man! Nah not desperate for coin, whenever you've got some proper English bank notes and 10p's in stock.

Im back in Selby on the 9/10 June if you wanna pop up and get them? Or Leeds anytime, I've moved here now hah.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I was busy moving house man! Nah not desperate for coin, whenever you've got some proper English bank notes and 10p's in stock.

Im back in Selby on the 9/10 June if you wanna pop up and get them? Or Leeds anytime, I've moved here now hah.

Say WHA... where in Leeds are you cheif? Is that with your gert? I could have sworn I saw your car in Garforth (of all places) the other day, parked outside some shops. Bit of a long shot I thought, at the time...

I have diarised the 9th/10th. Drop me a PM with your mobile number please young skip.

Alien Green 200
In Headingley, nah t'other side of town from her, with 3 of my mates. Nah not me in Garforth, haven't been through thee in a long time!

Fantastiche, in process

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I need a sticker or logo or something to cover the dent in the door.
If anyone wants free advertising....

Octavia VRS LE
When i get funds available i will be doing a project similar to this, if you don't mind me asking about how much have you spent on everything so far?

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
When i get funds available i will be doing a project similar to this, if you don't mind me asking about how much have you spent on everything so far?

Just shy of £2,000 I reckon. Not including track day costs.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Will update this properly tomorrow. But the good news is that the saxo survived Blyton park (and was ace - no other word for it).
The bad news is that my non-performance brakes did not survive and alas I must invest in a new set. So plenty to do - donny style. (which is like doggy style but dry humping wearing shell suits).

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Right, an update - a bit late.

From the last update I didn't have the track tyres on the new rims. So that was the first job. Len_beach's brother assisted here and before long, the Cyclones had some semi slick rubber...

IMG_1423.jpg

You can just make out Len's superleggera's which you can pick up with your little finger.

So I installed the wheels on the car and PROBLEM. The rears went on just fine, but the front wouldn't fit on the hub! I checked and checked on various forums to find no answers as to why they wouldn't fit. I shaved the insides a little to see if it was just a load of road poo that was preventing them sitting keen, but no.

The issue is the front driveshafts have been replaced at some point and replaced with non-citroen items, which fit a little further out than normal. As the cyclones don't have a centre hole, the driveshaft was butting up against the inside of the wheel and not fitting. There wasn't enough thread to grind the driveshaft, so the only option was to either (somehow) shave the inside of the wheel(s), buy some spacers or drill a centre hole. Er... my old man forged ahead - after I destroyed my woolworths drill and the end result is a redesign of the wheels - sortov. Budget spec eh?

IMG_1428.jpg

Just LOL at the idea, but it worked. They're only track wheels and I'd left it until the day before the track day to realise they didn't fit - doh.

And here is the finished item (early in the morning ready for setting off to the track:)

- can you see the centre holes....?,

IMG_1430.jpg

More to come, in a sec... Just gotta bath the young un.

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
We were parked in front of you at Blyton (Black civic and a silver PH1). Think you were behind me when I found a new line over the first corner :)

I did wonder what the hole in the wheel was for, thought it was to make it easier to balance the wheels after tyre fitment....

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Baby has been bathed.... here we go again...

So the tyres are on, the new wheels are on - off we go to Blyton Park.

Only other updates before we set off where that the fog lights and arch liner have been removed to help the brakes out a little. Less weight too ;) but other than that, I did most of the work a few weeks back.

My neighbour decided to come too, but his Saxo is a bit poorly, with a knackered rear beam and collapsed front bearing! he still drove it though for the lolz.

IMG_1431.jpg

and here is the other neighbour fixing it for him today..

IMG_1461.jpg

Anyway, we rocked to Blyton with Ben and his Clio as well and had a blast. Blyton is a good setup and its not far from us. Some decent machinery and the rain stayed off for most of the runs.

IMG_1440.jpg

I think that is Len at the wheel of my paxo - but you get the idea. I didn't buy the professional CD for some reason and thus I don't have many track photos. Len does - maybe he will upload some to the thread.... hint hint.

The saxo spent most of its laps on 3 wheels by all accounts. Maybe the front braces have done something, who knows. The main thing to note was how good the 888's are over my standard road tyres (which were in use at Elvington). Of course, Elvington isn't tarmac and thus its hard to do comparisons, plus the fact I've added parts since the last run + lost some weight. But... the car was stuck like glue and there was absolutely nothing between the clio and saxo. I was pretty pleased that I wasn't the slowest car there either.

You should now be able to see the drilled wheel centre!

IMG_1445.jpg

And that brings me nicely onto brakes. 2 track days and about 80 road miles have finished them off. I think, in total, they are 6 weeks old.
There are now scores and ridges across the entire disc on both sides and the pedal is either as solid as a rock with no feel, or washy depending on how hot/cold they get. i can't really complain though, they cost £50 for the front discs and pads - they served the job and 7 or 8 lap runs were enough enjoyment for me on both outings, but now its time to upgrade.

Ready for the bin:

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

Just like all of us, she got a little hot on the day. My face was burnt to sh*t.

IMG_1450.jpg

Just about to leave, with fully loaded cars - lack of fog lamps evident and the grill back on, for those who complained about it last time.

IMG_1447.jpg

Yes that is me. Sexual.
Paying homage to my neighbour Dan, who's gold saxo pictured earlier couldn't make it. I had some stickers made up for him, to mark his entrance into the track world with me and Len.

Good times.

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
Yea, were in the back of one of your pics lol...

Are they standard Gti/vts calipers?
Try some 266mm disks and calipers from a 306 etc...
Had them with standard pads on my old Bianca Rallye, they were spot on!

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Yea, were in the back of one of your pics lol...

Are they standard Gti/vts calipers?
Try some 266mm disks and calipers from a 306 etc...
Had them with standard pads on my old Bianca Rallye, they were spot on!

I justed noticed I'd posted a pic with you in it! Apologies I didn't come over and say hello. My old man turned up and the brother-in-law and nephews and then Ken from the forum! We usually do make a point of chatting to fellow clio owners/people around us. Next time.

The ones on the VTS at the mo are standard jobs. The calipers waiting in my shed are GTI 6 ones - 283mm, but that's for another update as and when I get money and time to sort it out! But I know where you are coming from, even 266mm would be better than the current shat.

How did you get on at Blyton? your first time? I noticed the ARB on the PH1.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
And I also know your neighbour lol, must be Danny Teale, there's no way 2 people could be that ugly! Small bloody world.

Its not that small when Danny is involved. He seems to know everyone and anyone. Maybe thats to do with Snaith being a bit inbred? or just the north.

I don't know you though. You don't seem to know me either. Yet you know the dog jawed warrior that can powder coat pretty much anything including his own eyes.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I drove onto your street last night mate at about 3am.

Saw one cup, a vts, your vts and your 182 - it was a reach French hot hatch hot spot.

The vts on axle stands through the night is really bringing the street down though!

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I drove onto your street last night mate at about 3am.

Saw one cup, a vts, your vts and your 182 - it was a reach French hot hatch hot spot.

The vts on axle stands through the night is really bringing the street down though!

LOL. I am going to check the CCTV to ensure you were doing your job.

I know, the fcking gold one is sorted now. Looked pikey style or what.

after having a look through this thread its making me wanna keep the lil vts i bought as a run around while my cup's off the road.... hmmm decisions decisions lol

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
Yea I don't post much on here, just browse, and didn't know you were on here, so no worries, I was close to asking if you had a pressure gauge, but my mate found one in the glove box lol.

Yea, some people recon the 283mm ones are a bit heavy, and make the suspension a bit crashy, but ive never tried them, so cant comment really.

Yea it was the first outing for the Clio, first track day for both of us although ive been to the ring 3-4 times, but the first time my mates ever driven it lol...

Yea got a white line ARB, Pro line springs and the R888's. Handles really well, better than we can both drive it anyway lol...

You have a good day?

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Yea I don't post much on here, just browse, and didn't know you were on here, so no worries, I was close to asking if you had a pressure gauge, but my mate found one in the glove box lol.

Yea, some people recon the 283mm ones are a bit heavy, and make the suspension a bit crashy, but ive never tried them, so cant comment really.

Yea it was the first outing for the Clio, first track day for both of us although ive been to the ring 3-4 times, but the first time my mates ever driven it lol...

Yea got a white line ARB, Pro line springs and the R888's. Handles really well, better than we can both drive it anyway lol...

You have a good day?

Well, the clio looked capable and it looked in good condition - shame to track it! Are you guys from anywhere close?
Anymore planned?

Yeah the day was great :approve: I don't have a great deal of spare time anymore, so when its doing something just for me - I really try and enjoy myself. Had to have a tin of Red bull toward the end though, its an early start. Also left a bit early to squeeze in a couple of pints of smooth in the local.