ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Novice Saxo VTS Track car - Donny style

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
And we were doing so well!!!!! Arrrrgggh.

Went for a spin after resolving most of the niggles and could smell burning rubber or plastic. And the suspected clutch noise was getting worse! It didn't seem to matter whether the clutch was in or out either!

Popped the bonnet with the engine running and saw the crank shaft pulley on the pi$$! It was all over the place and had pushed the alternator belt into the plastic crank casing. It was happily sawing it in half as we stood there in silence.

At least it wasn't the clutch! Whoop.

Bad news is I need a new crank pulley damper wheel thing.

aba5areg.jpg

I think it has a rubber centre which has perished. So the inner wheel is just spinning and the outer one is doing what it wants.
At least it didn't happen on track.
It's been noisy when Starting since I got the car from Matt.

Another job to do!

Ahh I had the same problem on one of mine mate, did you go for the aluminium replacement or just OEM?

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Ahh I had the same problem on one of mine mate, did you go for the aluminium replacement or just OEM?

Just a cheapo job. Kinda regretting it now, as it squeals like our lass.

I saw that kam racing sell an ally setup which helps gear down the alty. Was tempted but it's mega bucks.
Should have just got the solid one from gmc though... Live and learn.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Yeah the GMC was the one I was going to buy, but then luckily a lad was splitting a VTS engine on Saxperience and I got one of there.

Phase1 172
Love the build mate , however . You are living proof that track cars are so addictive . It started out well , then came the 888's , by that time I new it was only a matter of how long till the bodies and cams were purchased .. No such thing as a budget track build lol sterling job tho mate.. Love it

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Yo.

Tax, insurance and MOT all due on the track **** - so I was starting to lose faith. Until the burger van arrived!

saxo2.jpg

The old man was chatting to the local scrap man in the pub and he said he'd put a trailer aside for us.
I doubt I'll be pulling any cars (or making any burgers) for a while - but the old man has seen some potential and for £100 it was worth a shot.
He reckons he'll cut away the remainder of the aluminium body (weigh it back in) and then cut and replace a few cross members so a car would sit level with the axle - rather than sky high as it would if some ramps were added as it is.
Underneath it looks strong and I haven't got a pot to pi$$ in at the moment, so not really got anything to lose.

With a trailer on the horizon and another charity track event close - I decided to get a tow bar fitted to the daily. £200 and they did it at my workplace, which I thought was quite good. No pics of that - its just a tow bar after all.

I went halves on some replica seats with a local mong - sitting on nails is more comfortable than those Cobra Monaco's, so for £90 with sidemounts and an OMP frame, it was worth a go.

The ball and chain gave it a test.

saxo1.jpg

But I felt as if I was sitting too high and so then sold the old seat + the OMP frame and got a custom low frame from the saxp forum.

saxo3.jpg

And now I know how Len_beach feels whenever he drives.

The frame didn't come with holes to mount the seat on, so I measured up and had a bash and drilling through steel. After shattering a drill bit, I decided to give that a rest and enlisted the old man to use the proper equipment. So I now need some decent drill bits.

Next was the thermostat.

saxo5.jpg

For those who know me, the cooling system on this car is really pissing me off.
The last track event was marred by a fluctuating temp gauge/air lock and pissing water out when it felt like it. I purchased an 82 degree thermostat from 106 parts and bled the system on the drive.
At first, the gauge was fluctuating, so I used a 2 litre coke bottle to expand the range of the header bottle and bled the highest point first. Then the 2nd bleed nipple on the thermo housing, finishing with the bleed on the radiator. There was no fluctuating and the thermo opened on cue - and so did the fan. Hopefully that has cured it.

The final task was the fibreglass bonnet that I won on EBay many moons ago. I'd partly fitted it a month back, so had to finish off the aerocatches and washer jets.
As with anything I do, it didn't go smoothly.
I'd test fitted the catches and the threaded bar, quite close to the headlights - but as they weren't fitted when I did the trial, I thought everything was ok.
Until I later realised the headlights wouldn't go back in position as the bar was in the way. Had to get the grinder out (again).

Not sure if I mentioned earlier, but the EBay muffin who sold me the bonnet neglected to mention it was a fcking bad boy one. I feel like we're going back to the max power era... but what can you do.

saxo4.jpg

The long term plan is to get the roof plated, so I'd wrap the bonnet and roof to be the same colour/design.

I'm a bit worried about cooling - so tempted to take the number plate off and get happy with the grinder. I've seen some saxp owners also making the lower part of the bumper a 'wide mouth'.

But for now, it runs - so I should make the next track day, if I can borrow a mates trailer.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
You killed this off yet mate? Ha

LOL, no I'm afraid not pal.

Its currently on axle stands in the garage awaiting some wrench time. I did another track day in it after the last pictures posted above, in 2013 and then retired it. Put some GAZ Gold dampers on the rear on the last outing and they were f*cking MEGA!
TBF I was getting a bit hacked off with the spluttering out of corners and a vibration I couldn't solve... Think I've now got to the bottom of the problems over winter.

The spluttering is fuel starvation in the corners. That was pretty easy to figure out.
The vibration I've tracked to the hubs being super heated underbraking - the grease in there is either non-existant or just plain sh*t. I think its nipping up the driveshaft and giving me a wobble. When my old boy drives it, he's a bit steadier on the brakes and it isn't as bad for him - so heat transfer must be causing that. We've ruled out the discs and pads + joints + bushes etc.
Thinking of just starting again with new drive shafts etc.

Anywho, its partially stripped down and I've also got the following to fit:

- New lower custom springs from Faulkners (current ones are a little too high but still got the same lb rating at 250)
- S1 Rallye 1.3 Gearbox (cant wait to get this in)
- New clutch
- Lightened fly wheel (came with the box)
- 2litre Swirlpot

Just need to source an inline pump, but we're a few stages away from even considering that.

So in answer to your question Matthew - SHE LIVES ON. sorta.

*Oh and my old man plated the roof.. so thats done too* - will put some pics up soon.

Last edited:

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I've still got this and its now (unfortunately a tad late) ready for a track day in 2014!

Completed recently:

- Engine and box out for strip down
- Wire wheeled the entire front end pretty much, cut out the rot and plated up.

Before:

IMG_20140522_160541.jpg

After:

IMG_20140524_150820.jpg

The bumper hanger 'wings' had to be replaced - you can see them in the picture above (with the sticker on).

Plate welded in (same at other side):

IMG_20140524_150758.jpg

Common place for rot, unfortunately, but its done now.

- Removed PAS + the steering ram (gym membership required now)

New fork bush, made by my good mate

IMG_20140526_192203.jpg

Had some more custom springs made up from Faulkner, as the last set were a bit too tall (but perfect lb rating).

- New wheel bearings
- New ball joints
- New top mounts
- Bit of paint on the struts
- Removed ABS - T-pieced
- New track rod ends

IMG_20140530_190705.jpg

Also my mate machined that solid crank pulley seen on the floor below, so that's gone on as well.

IMG_20140613_163403.jpg

Series 1 Rallye 1.3 Gearbox installed with lightened flywheel and relatively new clutch.

My pal welded up a clutch arm too - so its now double the thickness (after being donated by RickyP)
Not sure you can see it too well in this picture.

IMG_20140613_144211.jpg

- New gear link rods purchased from KAM racing to compliment it

You might also see the water pipe above with two jubilee clips attached? That was what ran for the heater matrix, so joined that up and added a restrictor.

JP4 covers installed, they were a free gift.

IMG_20140613_172721.jpg

I trimmed the loom down and with assistance put the engine and box back in.

IMG_20140718_074825.jpg

Started to put it back together with:

- New top hose to thermostat (taken from 106 gti which didn't run the oil/water heat exchanger)
- Mocal oil cooler
- 406 Brembo calipers
- Baker-BM engine mount (already had the gearbox group N one)
- New drivers side drive shaft (found the vibration!! it was the carrier bearing on this shaft)
- New high-temp grease deployed in both shafts

IMG_20140818_143044.jpg

Oil cooler as mentioned.

IMG_20140818_143235.jpg

Not much under there now.

IMG_20140818_132141.jpg

Brembos - DS3000 pads

IMG_20140818_143512.jpg

To finish off (For this year at least... and before track day next month):

- Swirlpot + pump. Pump has arrived from JJC, so will be plumbed in tomorrow.
- The bonnet. I can't stand that fibre glass one. Think the old one will be put back on.

It lives on! This is the only blog I've done on it, so as boring as it is... I'll crack on.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Wow great progress mate!!

You think it will be ready for the Blyton track day in September?

Yeah should be mate, not much to finish it off now, it runs etc, so just modifications really.

Amazing to think its the same car you took me out in! hope you and Mrs are well.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
It's come along way that's for sure!

We are fine mate thanks. You booking on for the track day then?

Be my first time out, so I thought Blyton was the best place to start!

It is a good starter track (and pretty good anyway) so would recommend.
Looking like weds 10th sept and maybe another at the end of the month.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Car is now being stripped 😧 It was great fun, for a couple of years and became massively addictive.
If anyone wants a shell - then let me know.
Thread is now dead.