ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Novice Saxo VTS Track car - Donny style

120d M Sport
Not WHP, no, assumed BHP at the fly was what you were referring to as that's what most people quote.

12mpg still sounds like BS though, got a mate with a cammed and throttle bodied GTI and it still does nowhere near as low as that. Has had most parts and sensors replaced on the engine that said.

Last edited:

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Update:

Successfully attended Blyton Park for the 2nd time at the weekend.

Major thanks to the old man who rebuilt the GTI-6 calipers for me, only to find that it was the master cylinder that was causing the dodgy brakes pulling to one side :dapprove: Thats what you get sometimes when buying second hand off Ebay. Had to revert back to the original MC, no bad thing really.

With the brakes restored there was the slight issue of the rear caliper bleed nipple which was documented earlier in this thread. As we were unsure about their being air still in the system (And at this point we hadn't diagnosed the MC) then the old man thought just getting a new nipple would work if we could extract the old. After falling out with the wife (again) I left him to it, but to no avail :( Luckily a friend of a friend had a spare caliper and less than 24 hours before the track day we had it replaced and bled - great success.

Poly windows have arrived - but didn't get chance to fit them for this outing.

photo%5B1%5D.jpg

Anyway, the track day was great. 5 of us took cars and it was a great day out comparing performance and driving ability. I'm pleased to say that the saxo felt as strong as ever - now with a new radiator, the temps stayed low. With upgraded brakes I had to re-learn the braking points but KenH on the forum had us down at over a second quicker than our last time out. I also managed to remove a bit more weight from inside (on 10kg or so) and the weight + power gained from the stainless steel 4-2-1 was also of benefit.

photo%5B1%5D.jpg

And so here are some photos from the day:

blyton2.jpg

blyton3.jpg

Check out them front brakes :approve:

blyton4.jpg

Nearly 3-wheeling again, will need to sort that.

blyton5.jpg

Dan spent most of his time on 3 wheels tbf - the clio cup went pretty well though.

blyton6.jpg

Len had new suspension but still couldn't get past the fancy colour 182.

blyton7.jpg

Dave's 205 was a bit poorly and he only had limited runs after having to change the fuel pump.

ramgoyne1.jpg

The other Dan in the group had issues with his saxo - basically running mis-matched front dampers caused instability in corners and he is steering into the slide here.

ramgoyne2.jpg

but in the end, the yellow beast said no.

Great fun though.

Next things are to get the stud and nut conversion sorted. Unfortunately saxo's run two types of nuts depending on the rims you use. My road wheels use flat seated, where as the TD 1.2's run tapered. So thats another £30 on wheel nuts just spent so I have two sets FFS. Obviously there are the windows to install as well as removing the window motors and associated switches.
The gearbox oil will also be changed - as this hasn't been done.
Got all the stuff, just don't have the free time at the moment.

My long term aim has now changed. I am 90% set on doing a bit of home aero in an attempt to stop me spending silly money on parts. There isn't much wrong with the saxo in its current form and it is every much as quick and fun as a clio - but where do you stop?! It has already started to become a money pit and by modding the engine even further, I think I'm going to make it more unreliable. SO... I'm going to spend a few months just prototyping a few aero ideas.

Spare front bumper, spare rear bumper and spoiler will be the next purchases so i can attempt to create my design, which will encompass:

- Front air dam
- 100mm splitter, potentially angled on the under tray to act as a front difuser
- Fog blanks (or angled ducting direct to brakes)
- smoothed bumper recesses (duct tape ftw)
- removed plastic grill (lower) exposing radiator and engine bay to more flow
- rear bonnet raisers to direct exiting engine air flow onto windscreeen flow
- potential single wiper conversion (touring car cente stop lolz)
- raised 20 degree rear spoiler
- Gurney flap on trailing edge of spoiler
- potentially cut away the rear bumper recess which is acting as a parachute!

All ideas, but something I'm keen to experiment with - rather than throwing money at throttle boddies and cams etc.

We'll see... not used a jigsaw in years!

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Ps that manifold looks nice! Did you not consider heat wrapping?

Considered, but then read about some of them cracking? So didn't bother. As its only a toyosport job (not exactly renowned for quality - albeit this one does look nice and well put together) I was a bit worried tbh.

Could still do it now though? just be a bit fiddly!?

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Considered, but then read about some of them cracking? So didn't bother. As its only a toyosport job (not exactly renowned for quality - albeit this one does look nice and well put together) I was a bit worried tbh.

Yeah, proper fiddly. I've never bothered on mine.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Doncaster _K9 said:
blyton6.jpg

Len had new suspension but still couldn't get past the fancy colour 182.
QUOTE]
More like wouldn't let me past, for 5 laps I think it was in the end!

This aero lark should be excellent. I'd like to see a double DRS using a street sign and some tumble dryer tubing.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Bloody brillaint mate, cant beleive where you have got to with it now!

Whats it like on the straights compared to the 1*2's now, should imagine as quick, if not slightly quicker? ;)

Dunno about straight line pace. Len and I were similar but a cup pulled past me. So not sure!

It's going to a whole new level now mate.

120d M Sport

Mani does look sweet! Do you find it makes a nice (albeit subtle!) difference?

Never bothered with heat wrapping mine and never had any issues with hot temps in the bay or components withering away lol. Wrappings a faff and looks messy IMO.

When heat wrapping falls in bits, which it inevitably will do over time, it goes into little fibres and any oil or water leaks there are it will stick to it. It is a b*****d to clean off as well.

For what gains? It's not a one sided head is it.

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
Cracking wee project mate, always had a soft spot for these + 106 GTIs, hilariously good fun to drive and quick!

120d M Sport
Not really dude. I guess I make that many changes between track days, its hard to gauge what each bit has done!

I didn't think mine did at first either, swear it seemed more sluggish after fitting at first!

Then after a few hundred miles, it felt like the car 'learnt' it, as stupid as that sounds and then it started to feel like it was really flying through the revs sweetly. Might just have been in my head though but nice to think every little helps!

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Got in about an hour ago from fitting the stud and nut conversion. What a faff.
The fckin spigots had melted to the hub (plastic ftl) and how the fck do you know when to stop tightening! Had to get the spirit level out to see if they lined up about right.

Stuck a bit of loctite on them too, but ran out of day light and so only one side is done! Slow progress.

52988bc1-8bec-3912.jpg

In terms of the aero plans, plywood, a spare bumper and spare rear spoiler have been purchased so I can prepare my designs...

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
LOL at how do you know when to stop tightening! Measure depth of thread, wind in that far, done.

I got 80mm threads and had 60mm extended bolts before. I got to the 60mm and the fookers kept going. I've just put my faith in the loctite. What's the worst that can happen?

Caldwell a week today :) nom nom, tasty Armco.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Probably because your hubs are drilled all the way through. If nothing's catching and you've gone in as deep as the hub is you're fine.

When I die, my parents will hold you responsible.

Heard about dan. Omg.

If you kept screwing too far they will touch the hub and the wheel won't turn. I'd definitely measure it, they might not be locked but they could be a mm off touching.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
If you kept screwing too far they will touch the hub and the wheel won't turn. I'd definitely measure it, they might not be locked but they could be a mm off touching.

They're not that far in dude! I was just wondering how far you should go - I've done it to the collar but wasn't ultimately sure if that was good enough. Lolz.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Lol.

Spare spoiler, bumper and the plywood has arrived. Just need the ally.

Patience.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
52848afd-7491-a86e.jpg

I did a track evening last Wednesday at Cadwell.

It rained (lots). A tree fell on the track, a car hit the barriers and then another car set fire. I did about 15 laps in total, I reckon.

As the dry line appeared, I switched from road tyres to the track wheels with 888's. Upon I cross threaded a front bolt and when I tried to undo it, it took the fookin' stud out. Running with 3 wheel nuts - hey ho.

Ordered a new stud and nut.

A new door is due to arrive today - to finally wave goodbye to the trampoline scar. For £20, I couldn't resist.

140.jpg

Poly windows will then commence :)

I have also got a new set of plates, seen as though the old ones look crap.

Next plans are to try and afford 6 months tax, to keep the track days going this year!

Last edited:

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Are you going to be running tuft tests?!

I missed your wise crack Mr Roberts. But alas - no, I will not be running tuft tests because I don't have a decent camera!

We may laugh but Nige runs tufts on his Golf Aero - he recently was at Blyton I do believe and has aided me measurements, supplies and experience in order to get the splitter going. I am still waiting on the ally - which looks like it'll be a few weeks.

flow2.jpg

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Still going strong I see.

Let me know if your doing any more trackdays and I will try to come along and give abuse and what not!!