ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Number plates - drilled or stuck?

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Getting some new plates delivered,
should I get them drilled and screw them on, or stick them on?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I've always stuck mine on, look much cleaner and never had a problem.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I use Velcro strips on mine.
Ever had any problems with them coming off?
Don't think I'll have any need to regularly take them off, although as they're custom plates I might want to remove them cleanly when I sell

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Sticky strips from halfords, or most number plate sellers include them or have them stocked.

Jme34

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Switched from screwed to Velcro this summer, much cleaner and doesn't matter if you don't get the plate dead straight first time. If you have old screw holes get some rubber grommets/bungs and a bit of silicone sealant ...or just stick the Velcro over it!

Clio 182 - RB
I too use the velcro coins from Halfords, great to take them off whilst cleaning the car.

Don't stick them on with double sided tape either! I did this on my old car and when it come to remove my private plates it ripped the paint off [emoji88]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
100% stuck/ velcro'd.
It bothers me every time i see one that Merc dealers always use 4 silver screws per plate, looks fugly!!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
100% stuck/ velcro'd.
It bothers me every time i see one that Merc dealers always use 4 silver screws per plate, looks fugly!!

I hate that as well.

Half the time they aren't even straight either.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Top tip!

If using Velcro coins, put the soft Velcro on the car and the harsh hooky bit on the number plate

Otherwise you'll have it eating your microfibres and wash mitts when you clean it

I have mine the other way round, but then i use a detailing brush to clean that section.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Top tip!

If using Velcro coins, put the soft Velcro on the car and the harsh hooky bit on the number plate

Otherwise you'll have it eating your microfibres and wash mitts when you clean it
I wondered which to put on the car, and just happened to put the soft ones on, what a stroke of luck

2016-11-23 14.32.15.jpg

Anyway, thanks for the help chaps, it's looking good (minus the filthy car), had to reposition the back one slightly and it felt like the bumper would pull off before the velcro unstuck so not worried about them falling off!!!
2016-11-23 14.31.13.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Velcro. I went overboard on the first set of plates I used and nearly ripped the bumper off the car trying to pull them off. You literally need a couple of little strips.