ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nurburgring 24 trip - advice

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
So im going to the 24h race in may, i want to take a capable 1 camera and lens solution that wont cost the earth and will give me a decent motorsport shots and general snaps ( its a stag do). I appreciate that this is a tall ask, would i best hiring something?

What's your rough budget?

At £200ish a bridge is probably your best bet, Fuji HS30EXR for example gets excellent reviews and has all the zoom you need.

If it has to be a DSLR you could easily put together a second-hand kit for £300-400, e.g. On MPB Photographic you could buy a Canon 400D, Canon 18-55 and 70-300 for just over £300 which would cover all your bases.

RS6 C7
You can borrow my Nikon if you want mate, It's a D3100 which is a starter DSLR but still gives some great photo's. !

I don't really know how to use it so don't ask me to help in that department!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've already got a d40 and an 18-70mm, but the d40 just isnt quick enough, although i have managed some decent shots with it.

Ive been looking back to the days when i owned a d90 and a sigma 100-300mm f4, but i cant really justify spending that sort of money for one trip.

Oil Burner
I may see you there!

It depends how serious you are about getting good photos.
The general advice for 24hr races like n'ring and LeMans is to not bother! Just enjoy it.

However if you're ok with some faffing, buy some used gear and sell it again straight afterwards. You should only loose postage.

But seriously consider renting.

As a minimum you want a half capable (prosumer) body and a 70-200 2.8. Although having never shot the circuit i can say how much use 200mm will be. I suspect it will be well short - but you may well want the 2.8 later in the evening, so its really the only practical option.
You may also want a wide lens, 10-22 Canon or 10-20 Sigma would be perfect for the light trail shots (also going to need a tripod).

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'd look at maybe getting a one trick pony lens like an 18-200 mate, and just sticking it on the D40. IMO it's really the only way you're going to get an SLR to cover most situations if you're only planning on taking one lens.

I'd look at maybe getting a one trick pony lens like an 18-200 mate, and just sticking it on the D40. IMO it's really the only way you're going to get an SLR to cover most situations if you're only planning on taking one lens.
Yeah, this is bang on really.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
yeah i used to own the 18-200mm VR and it was a useful lens. I want to enjoy it, but i'd kick myself if i had nothing to take decent photos on.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
It's a tricky one mate. If it was me, I'd buy a 2nd hand D90 and a 50mm 1.8, and possibly rent a fast zoom lens (70-200 f/2.8?) and UWA.

Only reason I'd say not to take the D40 with the above is that it's USELESS in low light. Like, anything above ISO800 ruined by the grain.