ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NUTS AND BOLTS

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Another place to try for bolts is Williams fasteners, although they have a £2 minimum pick line. To cover this I just buy 2 quids worth of each and save them.

FrogJam Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
Cheers. I’ll have a look at Williams.

I’ve been looking at Orbital Fasteners seem a decent price and can order single bolts.

Same here, never going to be exposed to the elements very much and always going to be check but still must be worth getting the zinc plated ones if it means they won’t rust at all. Can’t see a big difference in price either.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Yeah, black are just oxide coated, they'll rust very quickly indeed outdoors or anywhere that has humidity. Buy zinc plated/bzp.

Shop4fasteners are decent for odds and sods.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
I tend to steer away from any off the shelf zinc coated bolts for any highly loaded bolts.. they are normally not de-embrittled, which leads to the Zincing process reducing the grade of the fixing.. Hence why no OEM or top end Motorsport team use them

406 V6, Race Buggy
Black oxide bolts won't last a weekend before they're corroded on mine.
OEM's use 10.9's instead of 12.9s if they can because they don't suffer as much from stress corrosion cracking, but they're still all zinc plated.

I put these bolts on the subframe support arm from this picture about 7 months ago, acf does wonders. I give the tres and shocks a coating every so often too.

IMG_0785.JPG

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Black oxide bolts won't last a weekend before they're corroded on mine.
OEM's use 10.9's instead of 12.9s if they can because they don't suffer as much from stress corrosion cracking, but they're still all zinc plated.

True, OEMs only use 10.9s, but thats mainly because they have to cater for prologued life at very high temps or sub zero temperatures.. and yes they use a type of zinc coating.. where I’ve worked it’s always been a Zinc-flake technology tho, which does not incur any risk of hydrogen embrittlement once parts are coated... BZP however which is the common zinc plated bolt coating found off the shelf does..

You can get plating company’s that will zinc plate your std bolts and perform a de embrittlement process too. Anthony @ACS_Motorsport had that done to all his bolts if I remember rightly.

406 V6, Race Buggy
It's basically just a degass at elevated temperatures, all 12.9/14.9 bolts should have gone through it from the factory anyway, anything under that doesn't matter as it's not an issue, almost any plating place will do that for you on high tensile steel - I have loads of bolts re-plated, anything higher than a 10.9 they will tumble instead of acid dip before plating, just in case - and then hold them in an oven afterwards to let the hydrogen migrate out.
That's not an issue when buying new bolts because they shouldn't have required a dip to start with anyway. The risk of it being any issue on an over the counter bolt these days is almost nil unless you're using a 12.9 or 14.9 bolt in a highly corrosive/acidic environment.

And if you are, chances are your black oxide bolt will be so full of corrosion by then it'll also have issues. Black oxide is for internal and decorative use, to save a few pence per unit on production runs where it doesn't matter, or where you have very high tolerance threads/mating shoulders tbh.
There's no point buying them for 99.9% of people on here are using them for in their cars, just get zinc plated bolts and enjoy not swearing at rusted fasteners a year down the road.

Last edited:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I tend to steer away from any off the shelf zinc coated bolts for any highly loaded bolts.. they are normally not de-embrittled, which leads to the Zincing process reducing the grade of the fixing.. Hence why no OEM or top end Motorsport team use them

Answered much better and more knowledgeably than I would of, ha

I put these bolts on the subframe support arm from this picture about 7 months ago, acf does wonders. I give the tres and shocks a coating every so often too.

Never heard of the stuff but researching now, best place to buy/bulk buy?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I used ACF-50 on the self coloured socket cap bolts on my bucket seat sidemounts, they had started to get surface rust after only a week into being fitted!

Just wiped a bit over the head and they still look like new.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I used ACF-50 on the self coloured socket cap bolts on my bucket seat sidemounts, they had started to get surface rust after only a week into being fitted! Just wiped a bit over the head and they still look like new.

My whole car has been sat in my garage for months and not had an issue.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Spray the heads with clear coat? Gonna try this, leave a bolt in the rain to see if it holds up

Could work, but as soon as you need to use a socket on the bolt it'll chip away the clear coat whereas acf would probably remain untouched with it being a surface coating that bonds.

406 V6, Race Buggy
ACF50 will soak into the black oxide because it's porous - part of the reason it's not recommended to use outdoors without regular maintainance as it holds water and corrodes - black oxided guns used to be strip and re-oiled every single time they were used outdoors for example as even your fingerprints are acidic enough to take the thin layer of oil off they retain (black oxide is incredibly thin which is why it's used for high precision parts where rust/weather is no issue).
Clear coat will do the same if it's thin enough, but you'd have to soak the bolts to remove the dewatering oil that's already added to a BO finish from the factory.

Having said that, both the oxide and the lacquer layer would be so thin it'd be easily damaged as soon as you touch it with tools anyway, which is why oil is normally used on oxide finishes instead because it can creep back over any scratches/damage.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Great thread and a massive help to me as I'm about to replace my Clio 182 Rear Beam Axle with a refurbished one. I also found it helped having the OEM part numbers at hand so I could match the QTF part numbers on Cromwells website.

This isn't the full list only the bolts, nuts and washers i needed. Might help others so worth adding i think.

Chassis to Rear Beam Mount

7703015200 - Bolt M10 x 1.5 x 130 - QFT6001058Q - QTY 6 - 60Nm
7703034247 - Nut M10 - QFT6404745K - QTY 6

Rear Beam Bush Retaining Bolt

7703002732 - Bolt M10 x 1.5 x 110 - QFT6001056N - QTY 2 - 60Nm
7703034251 - Nut M10 - QFT6404745K - QTY 2

Stub Axle to Beam

6000073589 - Bolt M10 x 1.5 x 70 - QFT6042098G - QTY 6 - 57Nm
6000073588 - Bolt M8 X 1.25 x 70 - QFT6042083R - QTY 2 - 29Nm
7703034251 - Nut M10 - QFT6404745K - QTY 6
7703035041 - Nut M8 - QFT6404744J - QTY 2

Rear Damper to Beam

7703602229 - Bolt M12 x 1.75 x 80 - QFT6001083R - QTY 2 - 105Nm
7703034248 - Nut M12 - QFT6404745L - QTY 2 -

Washers - if required

M12 - QFT6455426G
M10 - QFT6455425F
M8 - QFT6455424E

Last edited:
Great thread, very useful.
There's a bolt I'm after that I can't see listed, but maybe I'm just not looking properly!

The 182 offside driveshaft has a jointed 'carrier' that bolts to the engine block with three bolts.
I've lost one. (Dickhead!)
They are an odd bolt as they have an unthreaded shoulder under the head, which is slightly larger diameter than the thread itself.
I've e-mailed @renaultpartsdirect and am waiting for a reply, but just spotted this thread and thought maybe @Tomotek might know the part number.

I can post pics tomorrow if that helps

Many thanks,
Andy

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Great thread, very useful.
There's a bolt I'm after that I can't see listed, but maybe I'm just not looking properly!

The 182 offside driveshaft has a jointed 'carrier' that bolts to the engine block with three bolts.
I've lost one. (Dickhead!)
They are an odd bolt as they have an unthreaded shoulder under the head, which is slightly larger diameter than the thread itself.
I've e-mailed @renaultpartsdirect and am waiting for a reply, but just spotted this thread and thought maybe @Tomotek might know the part number.

I can post pics tomorrow if that helps

Many thanks,
Andy
I know the bolts as I had to replace mine. I had a chew on locating them as they don’t list them on the parts catalog next to the shaft - see screenshot.

I’m sure they were an M8 1.25 x 25 mm flanged bolt - 7703602193, but see what Renault or Tomotek come back with.

4C994FE4-42A5-4A1D-BDF7-C9C06A727D86.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Ignore that post above. I think you’re referring to something different lol

Go to Partsouq , stick your Chassis number in or model code If you don’t have chassis number to hand - 182 FF with Cup packs are CB22 - then select engine, transmission etc and you’ll find detailed illustrations with part numbers for your car 😁

Last edited:
Go to Partsouq , stick your Chassis number in or model code If you don’t have chassis number to hand - 182 FF with Cup packs are CB22 - then select engine, transmission etc and you’ll find detailed illustrations with part numbers for your car 😁

What a great site, many thanks for that.......although I'm still struggling!

The nearest thing I can find is this
1603993707691.png

The bolt I need looks like 7 (see photo below), but it has a very weird description 'SCR-RELAY-BRG MTG', and when you click on the part number it says nothing found!
The other bolts, 9 and 6, sound right M8 and 25mm long, but don't have the enlarged shoulder under the head which matches the holes in the driveshaft carrier.
If I use a straight M8 bolt it will be loose in the hole, as the 'shoulder' is 10mm diameter.

This is a picture of the bolt:
The thread is M8, not sure of the pitch, but probably 125
The overall shank length is 28mm
The threaded length is 20mm
The enlarged part of the shank is 10mm diameter and 8mm long.
Question is, where can I get one, or maybe ten just to be safe!
20201029_071851_resized.jpg

HELP PLEASE!!!!
I can post pics of the driveshaft, carrier and holes in the block if that's any help.
Ta, Andy

@banhama
Have a search on google not on that site. Id give these people a ring first to make sure, or just call renault.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
What a great site, many thanks for that.......although I'm still struggling!

The nearest thing I can find is this
View attachment 1503470

The bolt I need looks like 7 (see photo below), but it has a very weird description 'SCR-RELAY-BRG MTG', and when you click on the part number it says nothing found!
The other bolts, 9 and 6, sound right M8 and 25mm long, but don't have the enlarged shoulder under the head which matches the holes in the driveshaft carrier.
If I use a straight M8 bolt it will be loose in the hole, as the 'shoulder' is 10mm diameter.

This is a picture of the bolt:
The thread is M8, not sure of the pitch, but probably 125
The overall shank length is 28mm
The threaded length is 20mm
The enlarged part of the shank is 10mm diameter and 8mm long.
Question is, where can I get one, or maybe ten just to be safe!
View attachment 1503471

HELP PLEASE!!!!
I can post pics of the driveshaft, carrier and holes in the block if that's any help.
Ta, Andy
I’ve got some of those you can have. Drop me an email at jonwright@mac.com and I’ll send you some 👍

No problem, did you check with them? I called them a while back and they said they couldnt get the part anymore. It was a bit more niche than bolts though
Foolishly I didn't heed your advice, and just ordered them online!
No communication as yet to say if they are on the way, so I might have to do some chasing