ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Off to look at a clio this afternoon!!! Need some advice

soon: 172 Cup
Off to see a Clio 172 Cup tonight at a dealership!

19, 000 Miles, 1 Owner, FSH etc etc etc

Now what shall i look for without getting it onto a ramp? Head Gasket, exhaust etc are common ones to look but are there any inside secrets :)

Cheers all x

Lionel Richie
head gasket is very uncommon!

exhaust WILL fall off

wheels WILL be curbed (original tyres were contisports 195/45 16)

check steering wheel thumb grips, they fall apart

rear windows will leak probably

engine mounts will die at some point

I am uprating the Engine Mounts to K-Tec ones (unless you do them cheaper Yozza :) ) as soon as i get the car.

Will this solve the front side knocking noise that is also common.

Will check seal on rear window.

Lionel Richie
Saxo03 said:
I am uprating the Engine Mounts to K-Tec ones (unless you do them cheaper Yozza :) ) as soon as i get the car.

Will this solve the front side knocking noise that is also common.

Will check seal on rear window.

i wouldn't class two poly bushes as uprated engine mounts!!!

we're doing all 4 properly

hi there hope you get it ace cars if you go for test drive have the car is third between 40-50 and then drop it to second and lift the clutch and excellerate hard this is a good test if the drive shafts are going mine did this if will sound like a knocking sound if it is really bad it will do it when you go in reverse good luck mate

Meg on pistonheads £6995
1) crouch down by front fogs and look along bodywork both sides - everything should be in perfect line (well up to reno standards!)

2) even panels gaps - £1 coin size is normal - much more or less and could hasve been bent

3) crouch down at centre of rear of car approx 10ft + away - look under - wheels should be symeterical i.e. front two should appear same distance inside corresponding rear wheel - bodged crash repairs could lead to one being out of line.

4) HPi - RAC do a basic check for free on internet (even if garage say that they have done one) - there is a mobile phone check for £3.00, but can't remember the 5 figure no. number 86...?

5) look closely at all panels for finish - should all be high quality but slightly 'orange' peel like most Reno.

6) lift door handles and look under - BEST giveaway of re-spray cos NEVER removed first

7) once warm, slow to 40 in top, then floor it - should pick up slowly with no clutch slip - revs will rocket and nothing will happen if slipping

8) don't be too keen - if you say you'll 'think about it' it surprising what can get thrown in - I just pushed for £500 off screen price, a full service include pads front and back, a tank of diesel and six months tax on my wifes new '04' plate car!

Black Kro, shall print this off and take it with me fella. Your a star!

They are asking £6,995, but i am wanting to P/X my car with it to get the money down!

Want £3k for my car otherwise i am walking as dont want to take out anymore than a 4k Loan!

I am so proud you 1.000th post was in here Timmay.

Kro, i am considering turning gay, will you marry me haha. The cheapest Loan i have got is £120 Pm over 4 years at 20.9% interest :O

thats a point, i know the managing director of Northern Rock haha (well the old man and dear do! discount :D)

He is a Rich b*****d as well!

Yeah, as the guy said above keep walking away. I walked away fully twice (they came running after both times), in the end I knocked off over a grand (if you include everything, RRP, warrenty etc). Pretend like you're just thinking about upgrading but you're happy to keep your current car.

Basically, make them sweat and do all the work. And don't be afraid to be cheeky. If it's 6k ask for 4.5k and see what their reaction is. You'll never get that, but show them you want a bargain and you're prepared to haggle it out.

cheers 172!

I am a cheeky chappy!

Just got back, salesman was a prick until money was mentioned (suprise suprise). I want a £3k trade in on my car or its no go! so if they dont offer that then i am sure another Cup will pop up when i have sold mine :), thing is i have to get my car sprayed as someone decided to be artistic with a key and it looks horrible!

Don't trade sell it privately, they'll never give what it's worth privately. Even if you did a 7-day auction on eBay, you'd probably get more.

Clio 172 mk2
172.com said:
Yeah, as the guy said above keep walking away. I walked away fully twice (they came running after both times), in the end I knocked off over a grand (if you include everything, RRP, warrenty etc). Pretend like you're just thinking about upgrading but you're happy to keep your current car.

Basically, make them sweat and do all the work. And don't be afraid to be cheeky. If it's 6k ask for 4.5k and see what their reaction is. You'll never get that, but show them you want a bargain and you're prepared to haggle it out.

Agree...drive a hard bargain

Good luck:D

Saxo03 said:
Off to see a Clio 172 Cup tonight at a dealership!

19, 000 Miles, 1 Owner, FSH etc etc etc

Now what shall i look for without getting it onto a ramp? Head Gasket, exhaust etc are common ones to look but are there any inside secrets :)

Cheers all x

did u get it then ????

afraid not :(

WEnt within 3 days of being on the forecourt, someone bought it for 8k i heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when it was in autotrader for 7k! (the car salesman was a complete nob though!)

I am looking at FF's now unless a particularly mint cup falls into my lap for a good price!

RS Clio 200
there is one in my local renault dealership up for 8k.... has been there for a long time, and was up for 9k....im sure you can knock victoria down a bit.

again, can't have a modified one as such otherwise anally raped by insurance! would love that car but the mods will mean i will pay near on half its value a year in insurance haha!