ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Off to the Nürburgring... Which Oil should I use?

Ph1 172, E36 328
Off to the Ring on Friday and am thinking of changing the oil before I go. Will be averaging 80-100mph all the way there n back plus maybe the occasional 140+. Then there's the hard driving on the ring. Last year I used 10w-40 but was wondering if I should use it again or maybe go for some 5w-40 Castrol Edge FST (top of their range) that I have in the garage. Although I have only done about 2-3000 miles since last change last June and its still golden ish on the dipstick so maybe I don't need to change the oil?!?!
Any thought out there?!?!?
Cheers

Golf GTD Mk7
Why would you use anything other than 5w40? Designed to be used with the car irrespective of how you drive

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
As above, I drove my 92k 1.6 focus at Vmax for over 10 miles yesterday, and that has cheapest oil i could find in it.

Slightly irrelevant but hay.

Clio 197 f1
since we are on a oil topic and sorry for the thread hijack but what oil do you lot use? i was running low once and the only place open was halfords i ended up with mobil new life fully synthetic 0w-40? is that ok to use? i notice u lot are saying 5w - 40 the halfords book said it was ok to put in the clio and i didn't want to put there own s**t in it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
spent about 30 miles at over 100MPH, 10 of those were at Vmax, had to slow occasionally for traffic.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
More the fact my car is s**t, has s**t oil and has not expoded (yet) after prolonged high speed runs on cheap Halfords oil.

Cup In bits
Lol at some comments in here, You can put whatever oil you want really. A fully ester based oil is probably the best or something with a higher heat rating would give peace of mind like 5w-50 10w-50

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I use 5W-40 synthetic shell oil for road and track. As long as the oil is changed when it needs it then there shouldn't be any problem.

Ph1 172, E36 328
What about something like Shell Helix Motorsport 10w-60 Race Engine Oil... It's what K-Tec list?!?!

BMW M135i
Just use a decent 5w40, Fuchs Titan Race (was Race Pro S) would be a good shout or Motul 300V. Ran both in my megane with gets far hotter than a 1*2 ever does.

Ph1 172, E36 328
It's just I have 5ltrs of the castrol in my garage which cost me £60. Was for the M3 but im
Selling it so its spare.