ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oh dear god... HU help please...

A Beautiful R32
Firstly, apologies I'm not great on technical things and even crapper on making decisions...

So I've decided to take the plunge and get an IPod ready HU. I've narrowed it down to either Alpine, Pioneer or Panasonic... my fave so far being this one:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4748.html

To save money I'm gonna avoid Halfords and fit it myself once I've bought it on the net. However I have some questions...

1) Stalk Adaptors - can I get them for the above brands and how much (roughly)?

2) IPod adaptors - I'm gonna want to put the IPod connection in the glovebox. How the hell do I do this as I thought the glovebox was completely sealed. Though it looks like the blue plasticky bit will pull off??

3) Can anyone reccomend a good HU for IPods?

Ta, sorry for being a muppet...

Dave

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Pesonally i would go for the alpine mate, i have the cda-9852rr although i dont use it with an ipod it is possible. Also alpine by far have the best sound quality out of your chosen units.

As for putting the connection in the glove box, easiest thing to do would be to put a small slit in the side or back and just pull the wire through.

Stalk adapters can be purchased for this unit i think they are roughly £60 -£70 pounds

BMW 330d :)
ive got my alpine ipod connector in the glovebox, really easy to do as there is a plug at the back which u can push through. whole thing took about 30 mins to install. You might have probs with the remote control for the stereo though. Halfrauds told me it was a dashboard off job and to be honest i didnt want my car to rattle any more than it already does.

Cheers
Fraser

A Beautiful R32
I've been searching around. Apparently the ALPINE-CDE-9850Ri plugs directly into the IPod without the need for the adapter. It also claims to be remote control ready and should work with a basic adapter that plugs into the DISPLAY and costs about £13. The homepage for it is:

http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/english/a2324.det.CDE-9850Ri_CD---MP3---WMA-Receiver.htm

Think I'm gonna order this online tonight from caraudiosecurity.com unless anyone knows of a better store??

Oh, just one thing, am I right in assuming that the Alpine Stereos need no other adaptors or accessories for mk2 clios made in 2004?

Ta,

Dave

gsb

98 Sreg Clio RT
I'd go with the Alpine, I've had 2 now and they have both been excellent. Never heard a bad word against them. Most of the newer alpine units don't need the seperate ipod box, as you said. I had to drill a hole in the back of my glove box, which was actually quite easy, but newer models might well have some sort of easier access.

1.2 8v Rally Clio hehe
Hey my names alli.... i work in halfrauds man...

1) Stalk Adaptors - can I get them for the above brands and how much (roughly)?

stalk adaptor .... 35 pound ....

2) IPod adaptors - I'm gonna want to put the IPod connection in the glovebox. How the hell do I do this as I thought the glovebox was completely sealed. Though it looks like the blue plasticky bit will pull off??

FM Modulator ... 40 quid out halfrauds .... buy a cd player with an aux in... run a 3.5 mm jack plug from your ipod headfone to your aux in.... bout 5 pound for the wire....
3) Can anyone reccomend a good HU for IPods?
Halfords have a minted alpine cd player with ipod connection... so no need for FM modulator or wires.....

£200 bucks ... alpine ipod ;)

Hope this helps you man :D

Better than yours. C*nt.
Good ole' Hellfords expert!

Sod the FM Modulation, don't believe anyone that tries to tell you they sound as good. They don't.

Don't get the one with the Aux In - if it's on the front it's messy as sin, on the back not so much so but you can't change track without messing with the iPod, and I dunno about anyone else but they aren't the easiest of things to use when you're trying to steer - think of patting heat and rubbing tummy, can you draw circles with one hand on your ipod without drawing a circle with the steering wheel into a lamp-post or someone else?!

I like the Alpine Full-Speed stuff. The 9850 you mentioned is good - I've got it's big brother, the 9861Ri, and it's fantastic. Not yet got it in the Clio, need to contact Alpine for a fresh loom as there's no need for an ISO adapter for the Clio and my old Smart needed one, but will do soon and it'll work just as good.

Not had any experience with any other iPod stuff in my time, but the Panasonic H/Us are good if you're on a budget certainly.

If you can go with the 9861Ri's price, do it - you'll not look back. Failing that the 9850 should be good and I'm sure it won't disappoint! Avoid the Alpine bus adapter jobs like the plague - they are very slow in comparison apparently, which considering the Full Speed isn't the fastest in the world (but by no means unmanagable) I suspect it would be infuriating to use.

A Beautiful R32
lol @ Ally... thanks for trying to help bud but we got past that at say... errr post 3?! Plus the 9850ri costs £160 over the net and £200 at Halfords *cough*... plus judging by their in-store knowledge I'll do it myself!!

I've just got to work out how to get the IPod adaptor into the glovebox. Dock connection is all important, don't want to be arsing around with aux/jack connections.

Mike, I have an ITrip, it's f**king crap. lol

What most people don't seem to realise is that Alpine are basically saying that the old problem of non compatability with steering controls does not exist with their new models which are steering remote ready. All you need is an adapter that goes from the display to the stereo, and it does only cost £13!!

So the next question is how do you get the display out??!