ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil catch tank inlet & outlet pipes

clio 172 cup
looking at getting an oil catch tank with breather fitted to it. Iv looked at some on ebay and they have an inlet pipe and an outlet pipe with the breather on top, just wondering where youd direct the outlet pipe to on the engine? Or is it to be blocked off so oil just runs into the tank

Exotica/MK1 Astra
my initial question would be why do you want a catch tank? is the engine heavily modified? and if so in what way?

106 GTI
The idea of a catch tank is to catch oil, it dosnt go back into the engine it stays in the tank, the breather allows air to vent out to stop pressure building

rps13
my initial question would be why do you want a catch tank? is the engine heavily modified? and if so in what way?

some people make custom induction setups making the standard breather unuseable.

like my pepper pot catch tank!

and some like them as engine bay cosmetic enhancements.

clio 172 cup
no only lightly modified. but oil in the combustion chamber slowly recks an engine. By catching the oil, all thats being sucked in is air which keeps the throttle body inlet and combustion chamber so much cleaner, which can only be a good thing for a simple mod

clio 172 cup
but powey at modified nationals peterborough i looked a ta 106 gti on itbs an he had an inlet pipe from the engine and a oulet pipe back to the engine with the filter on top, thats what made me wonder

Exotica/MK1 Astra
some people make custom induction setups making the standard breather unuseable.

like my pepper pot catch tank!

and some like them as engine bay cosmetic enhancements.

pmsl, my question was more aimed at does he even need one? I have some "basic" knowledge of engines and if he simpy wants it for appearance then fine, fit one and vent it to atmoshpere or vent it back to the throttle body and use it as a seperator if it's a good one. Otherwise, if the engine is breathing heavily there may be something wrong as already mentions. it is posible to return the seperated oil to the sump or just do away with breathers altogehter and run it in a vacuum, dry sumped. But then it's back to my original question, why do you need one?

With a basically std engine that is functioning correctly there is not real advantage that yu'd ever notice. Add the catch tank for bling if you wish!