ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Catch Tank & JIC Fittings

Range Rover Sport
After a little help if possible.

I'm in two minds to fit an oil catch tank, I've come across numberous threads however nothing regarding JIC/AN fittings?

Now I know JIC/Braided line isn't essential however it is something I'd like to do of at all possible.

Catch tank and fittings I'm sure I'll be able to work out however how would I attach the braided line to the OEM breather at the back of the engine? Is there a JIC fitting I can buy that goes over the OEM breather piece or is it just as simple as making sure the braided line fits over the metal piece at the back of the engine and just securing like the OEM set up is?

Where would the best place be to fit the catch tank. Battery and filter still in the original location.

JIC and AN are essentially the same thing. As long as your using the same taper angle (37deg) between the fittings it will work fine. My oil lines and take off are AN10, yet the cooler is JIC.

AN fittings are 37 degree flare and JIC come in both 37 and 45 degree. AN fittings were developed by the Air Force and Navy (hence AN) and are supposed to be manfactured to tighter tolerances than JIC. The differance has to do with the tolerances of the threads, although the exact differances I don't know. From what I have delt with AN fittings are used in aerospase and racing. JIC is used in industrial applactions.

I have used JIC and AN fittings together many times with no problems. Just make sure they are both 37 degree, or you will have problems. I think most JIC fittings are steel and AN fittings are alum, I have never had a problem here either but a little antiseize might not hurt.

Range Rover Sport
Right ok, even more confused now?

I think it's -10 I need however how would this then attach onto the OEM metal breather piece at the rear of the engine?

For a 'proper' job, you'd get a weld on boss in AN10/JIC -10, and get it TIG'd on. Then you could just screw on to it - a lot of people do this with rocker covers etc, not on F4R's mind. Its a tough one as the push on fitting is already there, and not much option to use any different

Range Rover Sport
So it would be the case of simply pushing the braided line over the OEM type fitting and just securing?

The braid would probably just frey. Ideally you need a weld on fitting to do it properly, which then gives you a thread to screw on to. Otherwise just use rubber hose throughout IMO

Cup In bits
Like this, you get the bosses and weld them on and weld up other holes depending what breather you have, not a massive job.

P1000588.jpg

P1000634.jpg

You can see I have welded the pin hole on the top to stop the oil coming out and also cut off the pressed in steel elbow and and ally welded again that hole. Its marked welded. That's a 172 cup breather plate that's all been chopped down and the AN weld on boss needs to go in that vicinity to work right.

Check out torques uk on eBay, they do all the weld on bosses/fittings/pipe and are now doing very nice tanks like this, you can get them with barbed fittings like mine or you can get AN fittings.

22A49382-02CD-43AF-98ED-3CEF0DCDD98D_zpsjikx4bzz.jpg

You will have to wrap some tape around the barb to fatten out out for the silicone hoses that fits directly into the breather plate as they don't offered a BSP (iirc) to 16mm barb. You will also have to buy a blanking plug as its a two port entry.

321063D6-8BBC-4B30-AAF1-CBC58445CB2C_zpsteesvosy.jpg

I also done mine with some hose finishers to neaten it up although a little tacky it looks good.

0C7B2921-3215-477A-9215-888CCB11DFB1_zpsiwokwa5l.jpg

2C2759B2-D8B2-4A9D-998E-E547BF42BC70_zpsbdtdsutk.jpg

Also to note if you are going to be competing, the blue book states that a 2 litre tank is required. This is my racecar one which was only £60 on eBay which for an alloy tank with an fittings is cheap.

P1000458.jpg

Lancia Integrale
MG cup- I'm watching that catch tank at the moment :) it looks really good for the money! Where did you get the blanking plug from?