ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil coolers 4 172’s

im about to fit an oil cooler to my phase 1 172 and would like to know if anyone has done this already and what pitfalls are heading my way. have ordered the sandwich plate from DT(with stat) and about to order a cooler matrix (235mm wide x 10 row).

anybody got any help,clues or general info let me know.

Ermm I think theres a oil cooler on the 172s already. I think theres a oil/water heat exchange system inside the standard rad. The standard cooling system is more than enough to keep the 172 cool. Over cooling it would do more damage than good.

Cheers,

Chun.

cheers guys.

man-chun,where do you reckon this exchanger is? have had a good look and cant see one.

anyone got any ideas.

have already bought the sandwich plate so im semi committed.

but surely with a thermostat in the system is better than bad.

capt your opinion.i live in perth western aus, where 40 deg c is more common than not.

grant.

I think Capt or BenR will know of its exact location. But I thought it was actually inside the rad itself so you wont be able to see it :). If you want to have a oil cooler make sure it doesnt come on till your oil is pretty hot. Again Capt or BenR will know more about this than me.

Cheers,

Chun.

Man-chun had a bloody good look and still cant find it(evan had the front bumper off about a month ago)all thats there are the air con exchanger and the rad.(by what you describe sounds like the radiator and combined intercooler on my discovery).

and yes the sandwich plate has a thermostat built in that opens somewhere around 80 deg(i think).so its a closed system on start up.

Grant