ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil filter change affect warranty

CTR

Got my oil and filter changed today at 3000 miles (switched to Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in case anyones interested!) - picked up the oil and filter myself and got a local independent garage to change them for the very reasonable price of 10 quid + VAT.

However, a mate has since suggested that I mightve invalidated the warranty by using non-Renault parts / labour. Is this right?!

Have searched for other posts but the most similar I could see was on brake pads - the conclusion was that the pads are a consumable and thus could be replaced by anyone without affecting warranty (as with tyres). Do people think the same would apply with an oil filter.....? :confused:

Oil fiter is a consumable item, so i would have thought that the warranty would be fine personally.

Someone please correct me if im wrong though :)

for the sake of £7 i would of bought the proper renault filter. you spent thousands on a new car so why try and save a couple of quid on a filter? how much was you halfrauds filter????

So change it back no sweat warranty still good :D

But TheRonin is rite............why spend 1000s on the car and save peanuts on a filter.................wierd :confused:

Cya Stu

CTR

F*ck. Hadnt even crossed my mind it would matter. Wasnt even trying to save money there! Just got the Halfords one cos it was convenient.

Guess I could just get a Renault filter, stick that in and the dealer would never know the difference. Or am I being stupid?

CTR

Thank f*ck for that. Bearing in mind that Im a bit special and have no idea what happens under the bonnet, can the oil filter be changed without changing the oil, or will I need to drain it first?!

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

im pretty sure that all oil filters made to the same (oem spec) as the original genuine filter specifications or higher wouldnt think it would matter tbh

Dave

Quote: Originally posted by stu182 on 26 July 2005

Thank f*ck for that. Bearing in mind that Im a bit special and have no idea what happens under the bonnet, can the oil filter be changed without changing the oil, or will I need to drain it first?!

All us Stus must be the same then eh :D

But yeah you can change the filter without draining the oil.............if you like you could try filling it before you mount it!

Cya Stu

tiTTy & SV650

hmmm i wouldnt bother changing it, leave it on for 6k miles, itll void the warranty on ur oil filter... what brand is it? probably the same manufacturer as renault anyway.

CTR

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 26 July 2005

hmmm i wouldnt bother changing it, leave it on for 6k miles, itll void the warranty on ur oil filter... what brand is it? probably the same manufacturer as renault anyway.
Have thought about doing that - not to save myself money, but to save myself the effort - as I was planning another change at 6k (ie. 10 or 12 weeks away). But I guess its well worth the inconvenience if it saves me hundreds or thousands of pounds in work that should be covered by warranty. Cos lets face it - its a Renault. It will break down sometime!

Intrigued to know what the warranty actually says though - I guess theres a bit of paper or booklet or something you get when you buy the car that details whats covered by warranty, whats not, and what you can do to invalidate it! Anyone care to help me out before I start tearing my house to pieces looking for something that may not exist?!

And LOL at Stu - do you ever feel like youre having blonde days?! :confused:

Civic Type-R

Quote: Originally posted by stusV6 on 26 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by stu182 on 26 July 2005

All us Stus must be the same then eh :D

:D:oops:

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

LOOK!
Dont worry about the warrenty.
Too many people spend time making sure that everything is done by the book.
When i first got my car i was told by my local dealer (a francise-not part of Renault UK)that ALL servicing of the car had to be done by them or else. Well ive recently found out that its a load of crap.
So for example-

If the dodgy engine mount fault thing for the 172 is solved by you deciding to go elsewhere to get a more reinforced one will they still say that its invalidated your warrenty???

Alot of garages try to con you so dont take any notice-all they care about is taking off you your hard earnt cash ;)

Id say its pretty much the same as putting a exhaust or filter on your car.

tiTTy & SV650

stu182, do the next 3k miles, if in that time u have to take ur car to reno, and they will be under the car then change the filter before u take it in, if not fahgettaboudit - its sooooo insignificant. All made in same factory anyway. Im sure my local mechanic told me its fine to use OEM quality filters anyway.

I sure wouldnt goto any effort to replace it just now.

Skoda Fabia vRS

Renault use Purflux filters which aint sold in many places at all, none of the 5 factors i can source parts from at work can get them

i always use Renault filters, very good quality

and look online for oil filter tests, their can be quite a difference in flow and filtration between brands