ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil leak 172 cup

Banana
My car is currently in getting it's 24k service, and I've just had a phone call from the mechanic saying there is a really bad oil leak coming from the back of the engine and dripping onto the manifold. I asked if it was the rocker cover gasket, he said no, its the crank-case and it is a big job to fix (timing reset etc). Anyone ever heard of this or am I being fed with Bullshit?

Banana
No, that's the weird thing. He asked if I could smell burning oil in the cabin, I said no to which he replied I must have because oil on the manifold would've stunk. I've had no puddles under the car, and the level was fine last week at the RR day.

JW

ITB 172 Cup & 197 FF
If you are sure it wasnt leaking before they got there hands on it maybe it was them that caused it?

Banana
I'm starting to suspect this myself, although I have been taking my cars to this garage for years with no problems. They do have a couple of pikey-looking plook-faced apprentices now though.
Is it true that F4R's dont have a rocker cover gasket? He said you use some sort of paste that you get from reno?

CB600FS
Is it true that F4R's dont have a rocker cover gasket? He said you use some sort of paste that you get from reno?

Yeah thats true - if hes mentioned that hes obviously a bit clued up. Ask him more about whereabouts its leaking.

ValverInBits
hows that work then? how can it have no rockercover gasket? does the rocker cover just fit really well??

CB600FS
hows that work then? how can it have no rockercover gasket? does the rocker cover just fit really well??

Sealant mate stick it on and when the bits of metal are trapped together and theres no air, its dries up solid. Not very good though most of the 172/182s leaked from the factory.

Technically its actually the cam carrier aswell.

182/Bora V5/S1 RS Turbo

Sealant mate stick it on and when the bits of metal are trapped together and theres no air, its dries up solid. Not very good though most of the 172/182s leaked from the factory.

Ive serviced mine today and noticed the exact same leak when i had it on the ramp. I did find the oil filler cap was not on correct but all the stories ive heard its the cam carrier and its a massive job. i wouldnt mind if it was due a cam belt ffs but its only low milage. im proper pi**ed off:mad:

CB600FS

Ive serviced mine today and noticed the exact same leak when i had it on the ramp. I did find the oil filler cap was not on correct but all the stories ive heard its the cam carrier and its a massive job. i wouldnt mind if it was due a cam belt ffs but its only low milage. im proper pi**ed off:mad:

If your really lucky sometimes it can come up round where the bolt head is, if thats the case, remove just that bolt, gob loads of sealant around the bolt, and re-tighten.

If your doing a 72K (and the inlets off, cambelts off anyway) its probably an extra half hour/hour job to re-seal the cam carrier. Most people wait till then.

182/Bora V5/S1 RS Turbo

If your really lucky sometimes it can come up round where the bolt head is, if thats the case, remove just that bolt, gob loads of sealant around the bolt, and re-tighten.

If your doing a 72K (and the inlets off, cambelts off anyway) its probably an extra half hour/hour job to re-seal the cam carrier. Most people wait till then.

thing is the manifold is wet with oil. i travel from kent to leeds regular. dont want no fires!!!!!

Banana
^ This is exactly what is happening to mine apparently. My belts are due at the end of the year anyway, so I might as well get the lot done now and save some cash. I've been quoted £260-£300 depending on the price of the belt kit. Is this a good price?

CB600FS
The air circ cover on the top of the cam carrier can leak thats not a cams out job. Thats at the back it might be worth a look if its leaking - same sealant gasket. If the front area of the cam carriers leaking you may aswell wait till the belts/plenums off and do the whole lot.

The Red bit in this photo. (Not my photo/bay - MarkMs)
MarkMEngineBay.jpg