ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil leak, smell of burning oil + petrol? + poor running engine and flashing EM Light

2020 Merc E450 Coupe
Well I finally got another 04 clio 182 ff, this time in silver for the price of a bag of chips and obviously it wasn't perfect. Everything is in good condition, apart from the most important part, the engine! So here we go...

From what I can gather from my basic mechanical knowledge, the engine is leaking oil from somewhere, which is causing a lovely smell of burning oil. The engine management light flashes almost immediately after starting to drive and continues to flash. The engine is also running quite bad, but it does start first time like it should, it just sounds like its maybe running on 3 cylinders (and is vibrating quite a bit, making the exhaust jump around). When driven, there is also a big loss in power. I had a faulty injector on my old 182 which caused a similar running engine, although not as bad as this. The car failed its last MOT due to emissions, an oil leak and a 'smell of petrol'. I have smelt a bit of petrol fumes but not as bad as the oil. I've included a few pics to try help anyone solve my problem. From searching on the forum, the oil could be leaking out of the rocker cover gasket but could this also cause the rough engine? I will be getting it plugged in at some point which I know will help but id like some ideas please :) - I've also included a pic of the whole of my engine, am I right in thinking I am missing some bolts as circled? and has someone put black silicone on the engine near the bolts? thanks for any help, its appreciated ;)

1.jpg

vvt solenoid

2.jpg

bolts above vvt solenoid

3.jpg

bolts underneath engine cover

4.jpg

best pic of oil leaking out the back of engine

5.jpg

pic of engine with possible missing bolts?

dan's cast offs.
Re: Oil leak, smell of burning oil + petrol? + poor running engine and flashing EM Li

clean the oil off and then see if it is leaking or if it's just been a sloppy top up;)

only bolt missing is the one on the far left, the two front ones are where the engine cover bolts to and the one at the rear is for a peg.

Clio 172
Re: Oil leak, smell of burning oil + petrol? + poor running engine and flashing EM Li

I would guess the dephaser solenoid seal is away, the oil has filled up the spark plug hole of cylinder 4 and is causing the missfire

2020 Merc E450 Coupe

little update: took some pictures of the back of the engine today, before I start the clean up process tomorrow. Can all this oil be from the vvt solenoid?

8.jpg

7.jpg