ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Pressure Sensor and Water Temp Sensor wired together? :S

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Right still doing this wire tracing, managed to locate the oil pressure sensor, so i put my multimeter end into the connection for it, and then tried every pin on the main engine loom connection til i found what one it was, then i labeled it.
Then i did the same with the Water Temp Sensor and it traced to the same pin?
Can someone please explain how this works? i dont see how the oil pressure warning light, and the water temp level instrament can be linked together? i traced the wires and the oil pressure one is a single wire for the sensor and it goes straight to the water temp connector? :S

Any ideas?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Youve no doubt traced the common wire to the sensor array.

There will be, depending on vehicle and engine type, 3 wires from the CTS; signal - gauge, signal - ECM, ground.

The signal gauge runs to the passenger side engine bay fusebox where the loom meets the cabin loom and so feeds the dash. The signal ECM goes direct to the ECM pin (i can tell you which if you give me your vehicle type code).

Oil pressure gauge... No MkII has one of these so i assume you mean the oil pressure switch? This is a single wire, normally a ground, that is controlled by a simple on/off switch. When the oil pressure reaches a specific level the switch is triggered which in turn witches the ground/earth to the warning lamp circuit thus illuminating the lamp.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Youve no doubt traced the common wire to the sensor array.

There will be, depending on vehicle and engine type, 3 wires from the CTS; signal - gauge, signal - ECM, ground.

The signal gauge runs to the passenger side engine bay fusebox where the loom meets the cabin loom and so feeds the dash. The signal ECM goes direct to the ECM pin (i can tell you which if you give me your vehicle type code).

Oil pressure gauge... No MkII has one of these so i assume you mean the oil pressure switch? This is a single wire, normally a ground, that is controlled by a simple on/off switch. When the oil pressure reaches a specific level the switch is triggered which in turn witches the ground/earth to the warning lamp circuit thus illuminating the lamp.

This is exactly what i have, but what i cant understand is why does the single wire oil pressure switch wire go straight to the Water temp instrament connection? there for leading to the same pin on the main engine loom connection.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'd have to take a look at the specific schematics for your car to say for sure but i'm guessing that the warning light might double up as a generic "Warning" lamp (??). You're possibly on the wrong pin or you've got a damaged loom section somewhere.

Mick

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Hi Mick.

Basically, if i put one end of the multimeter in the single wire oil pressure warning light connection, and keep touching the pins on the main block, i can find which one it is, if i do the same with the water temp instrament its the same pin, why is this?

The one i think is the water temp instrament is on the front of the head in the bottom right corner, next to the throttle body?
I wouldn't have thought there would be a seperate water temp gauge sensor?

I need to work both of these out as i am putting a completly different engine in and trying to use origional clocks?

Cheers!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Again, without actual schematics i cannot say for sure but when the vehicle is off the oil pressure switch and will be in the "closed" position meaning it is grounded. If youre then also tracing the water temp common line (also a ground ) then the two paths will trace as theyre going to earth.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks Mick, this seems to make some sence.
Do you happen to know any data on the main engine loom to car connection? like what pin does what?

Basically trying to find out which one is the oil pressure warning dash light, and which one is the Water Temp Dash Instrament.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Ive pin mapped quite a few Renaults over the years so yup, im sure i can help you with that. I assume you want to know which clockset plug and pin yes?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Basically i want to know, on the main engine to car loom connection, the big white one, Any information you could give me on it, i have found out what quite a few of the wires do, for example reverse light switch, and power on ignition for the starter, etc, but would like to compare it to the imfo you have, as i also have some left that i need to find?

Ones i am currently looking for are Water temp instrament on the dash, and the oil pressure warning light for the dash, which pin they would be on the main connection block.

Thanks.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I will get back to you with that info then - Is it a MkII Ph2 Clio and what engine is it at present please?