ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil smells of fuel?

Mini Cooper S
Done a search couldn't really find any answers. The 182 was off the road for just over 12 months but was started/moved a 100 yards most days. Since then I've had the belts replaced etc etc before I put it back on the road and flushed the oil as it had stood and not moved much for a while (oil smelled of fuel then) I just put the smell down to it being sat for so long. I've been driving it since with no problems until today! Just a quick look over the car checked the oil and the smell was back not as bad as the first time but the oil was thin. No mayo on the cap or smoke from the exhaust. As I'm no mechanic I was just wondering if something serious was going on? Was thinking just to give it a good service? Any help is appreciated.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
never letting it get hot and regularly moving it was probably worse than just leaving it to sit, but never mind it's done now. a good service and check over for full sensor functionality, and flush the contamintaed oil out (do 2 oil changes in 200 miles)

What kind of mpg have you been getting?

Mini Cooper S
Cheers for the quick reply Dan. The engine light did come on got it checked and came back as the first lambda sensor. It's disappeared since!? Getting decent mpg mind was around 40 on the motorway and generally around the 33-38 mixed driving. Think I'll give it a full oil flush and plug change and get a new sensor ordered. Then I'll do what you said and change again in 200. The car is running great haha!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
codes tell you about 5%. Live data is how you see sensor function, but as a code came up I'd be very confident it's faulty even though the light went.

Mini Cooper S
Sorry if I sound thick haha but how do you check live data? What are the prices for the sensors?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I plug in my snap-on diagnostic tool and look as the screen ;)

Lambda from me is £72.50. Best off just going to eurocarparts if you're DIY fitting it

Mini Cooper S
Haha simple as that!! Think I'm just a bit too far away though!! Tunst off here is the man near me that's who had the diagnostic equipment not sure what kind but it's a fancy piece of kit!! I'm going to pop to his later and hope he will do a quick flush for me!! Maybe if I ask him nicely enough ;) Christ they aren't cheap!! Don't think we have a eurocarparts close by :(