ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil types for a 172 - Solaris DPF 5w-30

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Spent £600 with Renault to fix a dodgy auxiliary belt which took out my cambelt - lifted head etc...

Oil provided by Renauly was Solaris DPF which prides itself on particulate filters er aint that Diesel talk? Second time I asked again (same dealer) for 172 oil and got Evolution SXR which is a 5w-40 oil.

Question is;

Is Solaris oil OK for a 172 - any issues? Do I need to drain it out (done over 1000 miles on it before I got the Evolution from Renault)

Can I mix Evolution without worry - believe both are fully synthetic oils.

ITB'd MK1
5-30 is a bit light really, i'd expect the engine to be a bit noisy when warm. 5w40 is the correct grade for the engine. Personally i'd change it

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Re: Oil types for a 172 - Solaris DPF 5w-30 - Whoops oh Renault

your right! This is the reply I have just got from Renault.

here we go;

----Original Message-----
Sent: 02 June 2009 17:16
To: Kirk, Nick J
Subject: RE: Fw: Oil

Dear Mr Kirk

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding your Renault Clio 172.

I understand from your recent email that you have provided me with your vehicle details so that I can endeavour to estabilish the correct grade of oil for your Renault Clio 172.

I can confirm that the specific oil grade for your Renault Clio 172 is 5W-40. The brand of oil used is entirely your own choice however Renault does recommend Elf oils in our vehicles to give maximum performance.

Having contacted City Motors Bristol on your behalf to advise of the above and to ask for them to drain your oil, they have advised me that there systems show your last visit to them as being in 2006, therefore restricting them in what they can do for you due to the long period of time since last contact.

As you are concerned about the affect this difference in oil may have on your vehicle, I would advise that you contact your local Renault dealership to have the oil drained and replaced with the recommended 5W-40.

I hope that this information answers your questions. If you would like to take this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Services department on 0800 072 33 72 where a Customer Support Manager will be more than happy to assist you further. Alternatively if you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact myself or one of my colleagues at Renault Information Services on 0800 52 51 50.

Regards

Ruth Conway
Customer Services Consultant
Renault Information Services
www.renault.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 02/06/2009 09:06:43
To: renaultuk@postroom.com
Subject: Fw: Oil
nick.kirk@rolls-royce.com
Mr Kirk
----- Original Message -----
To: "RenaultUK" <Customer.Services@renault.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 8:21 AM
Subject: RE: Oil

> Dear Ruth - thanks for the reply I have appended the answers to you email
> below.
>
> The oil was selected and provided by City Motors for the car. Bit
> nervous - expected a reply something like 'Solaris is recomended for a
> 172?' If its too thin please tell me immediately to stop driving the car
> if there is any chance of damage - I need to do over 500 miles this
> weekend.
>
> I would like in writing that either the oil is OK or not please.
>
> I have spent over £600 rebuilding the car after an auxialary belt failed
> (dealer fitted) at 22k miles which in the Cliosport community is a known
> weakness (if Id only known before) and I dont want anymore surprises.
>
> regards,
>
> Nick