ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oily spark plug!

Just been checking the plugs on my valver when I noticed one of them was heavily oiled up! Im talking oil dripping off it! All the rest were in great shape....the manual says this could be because of worn piston rings or valve guides which sounds expensive. Is it wise to get it into the garage asap or is this a warning that something may give up the go further down the line??

Also, on NGK V plugs (2 prongs, 1 either side of the core) do you have to measure the .80mm gap either side?

Ta, Paul.

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

If you havent split any oil down the plug wells when filling it up, it is likely to be the rocker cover gasket. I had this on mine, fitted a new one, problem solved.

James

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

Before you do anything else get the garage to fit a new rocker cover gasket, or do it yourself, its not difficult. The gasket is about £8.

This is a very common problem on the 16v. I would be very surprised if it is anything more serious than this.

James

Clio 182 w/ cup packs

Quote: Originally posted by scotty16v on 06 October 2003

rocker cover would leak oil outwards towards the engine bay?

Yeah but the 16v is twin cam so the middle where the plugs go has gasket around there

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

hold on, hav i got the wrong end of the stick here or hav others? wen u say there was oil on it, u mean on the electrode part that would be normally inside the engine or the porcalean bit on the outside? if its on the elctrode part then the rocker cover gasket is not the cause

The plug wells are deep, when you pull the plugs out, oil sitting in the wells just gets on the cylinder side of the plug.....

clio williams, Ph1 172

The plug wont be oily when its in the engine. just when u unscrew it and pull it up it gets the oil on it. the gaskets leak. get a new one and some of that gasket seat, clean up the rocker cover and the head on the engine and get all the oil out with a rag. refit and it will be fine. i started gettin a bit of trouble with missfiring cos of oil. that cured it tho.

Yes, I mean on the electrode part of the plug! And it wasnt just the odd spot, Ive also noticeed the oil pressure is poo but just thought that was down to a dodgy sender unit! Help!

Piston rings or valve guides?

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport