ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OK i want this sorted FFS !

MKIII 138
it was an issue in the MKII172 but not as much due to TC and extra weight. But in the Cup there is no traction and its lighter, i simply cannot put my foot down in 1st then change to 2nd without Serious engine banging or something. ok so if its cool or damp as soon as you start to spin you have to lift off completley then slowly build up speed again arrrg ! a car that can theorectically do 0-60 in under 6.5 seconds cant do it in 10 in anything other than ultra dry conditions with hot tyres.
problem is you can hear it outside the car and its embarasing as it sounds like your cars knackered (which it is from factory).

pretty disgracefull that reno have not noticed this.

what do i need to stop the banging noise ?? i want to be able to wheel spin till my hearts content, dont care if i go anywhere i just wanna give it hell throught 1st and 2nd as i never use its topend power anyways as id be risking my licence. at some point i want to do my first drage run 1/4 mile in the cup how do you guys not get engine banging when your draging your cars.. obviously controlling wheel spin but a certain ammount is ok.

please tell me the fix for this as i love the car and i loved my previous 172, in two years time il probably get a 182 and then after that a new RS but if i cant sort this for the next total 3 yrs of driving the 'old' 172,182 sports then iam affraid il have to sell the car :( :( :( :( :(

Clio 197
What sort of tyres are you running?

(my 182 can spin quite happily, without knocking).

From what I understand, the noise occurs when the wheels skip (trying to get traction)?

Wheelspin is wasteful and makes you look like an idiot (no offence).

Learn some car control it is a skill to get a powerful front wheel drive car away from a standing start cleanly. The traction control system on the 182 is poor and as you say there isnt one on a cup so if you really want to use first and second flat out then buy a racelogic traction control system you can floor the accelerator as much as you want the wheels will never spin, wet or dry.

It is not the cars fault its the driver.

MKIII 138
cant belive your stupid responses. i just knew that what you would say. driver control isnt the problem i can launch fine in the dry and i can probably spank most people at driving fast also.

In laymans terms im talking about the known fault with the current Clio where severe banging occurs when the wheels spin. it can happen in any gear if the surface isnt perfect. its a fault not driver control FFS

i have been in amny cars that have spun up and not knocked at all if they did it was hardly perceptable.
last nite i put my foot down just beyond half way it was dry, it was 11 deg and it knocked and it didnt stop until traction at 30mph !!!

this topic has been discused before, i want to know the fix not be told that i cant use my full car potencial :D

MKIII 138
Rip3z said:
What they were saying is - why are you making the wheels spin?

and what im saying is what has it got to do with them i want an answer to the problem not a patronising critque on my driving skills. wheel spin is inevitable when launching you dont even have to do a standing start you can be rolling and then open up and it happens. it blights your performance and makes your 172bhp clio sound like an old banger.

also im wanting to do the inlet manifold, full exhaust, indcution, remap etc.. for 190-200hp its not a problem thats going away until i get a fix.

It is a problem I have come across before in lots of cars, especially hire cars I get from work as not my tyres or petrol. One of my previous cars, 205 GTi, had no traction control and no ABS it did not take me long to learn some caution in slippery conditions!

My point was wheelspin is bad whether it bangs or not! At the point the wheels spin you lose forward motion and steering you are out of control which is not a good thing on the road. Personally if it is wet or slippery I back off.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Well I suppose it's up to you what you do with your car, but you gotta realise that a lot of people are reluctant to help someone who goes around wheelspinning all the time.

Just saying what I see, I know nothing about 172's,

cock mobile.
meggerman said:
cant belive your stupid responses. i just knew that what you would say. driver control isnt the problem i can launch fine in the dry and i can probably spank most people at driving fast also.

LOL!

So are you saying there is actually a problem with your car? Or is it that you just can't control it?

I don't think I quite understand what the problem is? You can't just mash the car in first or second and expect it not to fight back, there is a lot of power going to those two wheels!

Nippy white cup
engine/gb mounts m8...I have been back to renault on several occasions to try and get it sorted. Sometimes they will sort it for a good 4/5 months but sometimes a couple of weeks and it rears it`s ugly head again.

Chris

MKIII 138
sure you may have a point but i firmly belive this is much more of an issue with the current clio, its been discussed lots of times before but finally ive had enough and i wanted someone to tell me the fix, i know there is a fix btw i just dont know what it is.

its ok to say other cars will do it in the wet. what im saying is my car a 1005kg (no back seats) FWD 172BHP Clio Cup will do this in all but the best conditions.. so it could be midly damp it will spin and it wont grip it will bang which will make it spin which will make it bang etc.. so basically 90% of the time its wet in this country which means i cannot give 1st stick from a junction if i need to leap out in an emergancy if 1st goes then so will 2nd until traction is reached.

it WILL happend in DRY conditions in lower temps also which again is most of the year.

MKIII 138
Chris n`nic thanks very much that what i wanted to know. i knew your car was rapid and would suffer.

so is there any 'uprated' that will not perish. if your car tuned up and you drag it also 4.5 months isnt too bad a stock car would manage 8 months. an uprated mount would last 1-2 years.

this is a job for GDI or Yozza to sort out as every MK1,MK2 clio 172,182 owner on this forum will have the same problem money to be made that i will glady spend to sort this out.

KTEC sell an uprated mount.

I have had my engine mount changed by Renault. I knew it had gone by a slight knock when getting on and off the accellerator in first gear at low speed. Not by the fact that when I floored it away from every junction in first and second gear I nearly ended up with the engine in my lap!

PS Try not to give us R Sport drivers to much of a bad name with your Racing Driver let loose on the road driving technique.

MKIII 138
sh33n said:
Is the car under warranty still?

Take a visit to Renault!

yea its still under warenty and its just had the gearbox mounts done as that was a knocking/sliding noise.
thing is i can take it but i wont get a straight answer will I !? they wont really know and they will change a random mout etc.. and it will just happen again.

such a shame it wrecks my 0-60 there is knowway that a cliosport can do close to its supposed 6.5 secs when this happens unless its completley dry and warm and your tyres are heated up.

gonna have to get rid, shame as i had big plans :(

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
its axle stamp (stomp) or whatever its called...

its where the wheels spin and then jump and the banging is the suspension and engine etc jumping all over the place..

with better shocks, its does not do it so much....

i will give it some more thought...

MKIII 138
Andy GDI said:
its axle stamp (stomp) or whatever its called...

its where the wheels spin and then jump and the banging is the suspension and engine etc jumping all over the place..

with better shocks, its does not do it so much....

i will give it some more thought...

good old andy top bloke :D
if you could sort something out then i will be the first to test it on my car and il pay also.

looking forward to any answers you can come up with ! :)

Clio 197
I still can't understand why your car does it, and mine doesn't?

Something can't be right?

PS I had a 2.0 Beetle for a while... wheelspinning in that was awful - the whole front used to jump up and down.

Megane225FF
I've never had the banging that you complain about, but I used to have the wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear.. I found that changing my tyres to Uniroyal rainsport improved traction no end..

MKIII 138
look... its been accepted that this is a know fault that can occur on the current clio RS. lets leave it at that, i trust andy will look into this and that iam not the only one with this problem, certainley chris n `nic I am sure would be interested in this fix.

also.. no my dampers arent shot, my last 172 did 40k miles and was fine as i drove carefully in actual fact the dampers did go and this again is a known weakness with the 172,182 that the rear dampers can leak hence why i put konis on and yes it did help a bit but it didnt eradicate the problem. i dont drive like a manaic i have a clean licence for 8 yrs !!! i have never crashed, i do on some occasions give it hell as its a performance car and needs to be due to VVT to be in high revs to get that performance kick so how the hell would i get a proper launch without high revs i.e 4k rpm and sliding clutch out (no just droppping) it sill happens ??
so you lot drive around like grannies in micra`s i have a 140mph supermini i use it accordingly when there is no one around on rare occasions for a breif out of a junction upto sixty launch or a 30 second overtake upto 90 then straight back to the limits. i probably drive safer than 99% of people on uk roads i am a deffensive driver.
also someone said dont be giving RS drivers a bad name.. well if i did it would be too late because i owned a 172 RS before your 182 was even thought about.

cant quite belive that knowone has experienced this apart from chris n nic and andy.

I get it too I think.

Has to be either the engine mount or gearbox mount in my case as It has not always been like it.

VaVa
There was thread that was about 20 pages long about this very thing. Nearll all RS clios experience it - it's the engine banging on the subframe. I think the reason it's so prevalent on the Clio is the extreme lack of space in the engine bay. The engine hasn't got to move far to foul on anything.

There was supposedly going to be a letter written to RUK to formally complain about this problem. As far as I know nothing ever came of it - It was in the winter time and then as the weather got better and the roads got drier the complaints subsided. No doubt we'll get a few more over the coming months as well as the usual tales of " I've put my Cup in a ditch"

meggerman just to clarify a few points.
This is not specifically a 172/182 problem as I said before it has happened in most cars I have driven, if provoked.
I have experienced this problem in my 182 but would prefer to use a bit of throttle control. If you drive the car and its wet you should be able to get a feel for how much grip you have quite quickly and drive accordingly.
In your original post it sort of seemed you drove like a bit of a lunatic trying to blame the car for problems caused by excessive use of the throttle. If I misread this apologies I was just trying to give a bit of advice.

happens on every car i've driven as MarkM says then engine mount problem is obvious when not wheelspinning to high heaven.

Lionel Richie
axle tramp as above

decent tyres and decent syspension seem to improve things

Yozzasport are having new engine mounts made, but these will be basically grpA spec, so pretty much solid mounts, not really ideal for a road car (final spec is still being decided) but again they'll under go testing and i'll report back

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
My 182 used to make a bang when lifting off the throttle in first but it fixed itself lol....clearly an engine or gearbox mount causing the noise in that case but yours sounds like axel tramp as Andy/fred said.

What tyres are you running? Mines on pe2's and probably lighter than a cup and i very rarely have traction problems tbh.

Decent tyres and new mounts should sort it :)

Last edited:
  MKIII 138
Fred2001Dynamic said:
axle tramp as above

decent tyres and decent syspension seem to improve things

Yozzasport are having new engine mounts made, but these will be basically grpA spec, so pretty much solid mounts, not really ideal for a road car (final spec is still being decided) but again they'll under go testing and i'll report back

cool, thats good to hear. i dont as mentioned drive like a loony (no offence loony) but even if i did it my business and for the law to rightly penelise me for. thanks for the advise il try not to use the performance of my car in wet,ice, damp, cool condidtions (sigh)

also as has been mentioned yes i agree it happens on other cars but its much worse on the Clio RS and letter have been sent to RUK about this so its not any idiotic driving on my behalf, **** tyres, naff suspension etc... its a genuine problem.

thanks to all who answered, i look forward to your findings Andy + Fred, please PM me or Post when you have a proper fix for this.

An orange one
just spotted this topic and my cup has exactly the same problem, mine does it wet or dry, in 1st its terrbile..and in 2nd over 5k revs it bangs like mad too..this is very..very..very annoying..really puts me off my car, renault claim its my downpipe banging the chassis..but if the whole engine is hitting something i for one will not put up with it, id rather sell the thing! its embarrasing when you have passengers and puts you off driving hard :(:(

i would also like to know a cure/fix as im willing to try anything!!

MKIII 138
ColinG said:
just spotted this topic and my cup has exactly the same problem, mine does it wet or dry, in 1st its terrbile..and in 2nd over 5k revs it bangs like mad too..this is very..very..very annoying..really puts me off my car, renault claim its my downpipe banging the chassis..but if the whole engine is hitting something i for one will not put up with it, id rather sell the thing! its embarrasing when you have passengers and puts you off driving hard :(:(

i would also like to know a cure/fix as im willing to try anything!!

^^^
agree completley, people actually panic slightly when it happens as they think the car will explode or something and its not reasuring having to tell them "ohh dont worry i came fuk`d from the factory all renos are like this"

i need a proper fix. now i had my gearbox mount replaced on warenty it knocked in lower gears when the gas was applied. this has now stopped, i must stress this is not the gearbox but as it drives brillaintly and pulls so much faster quicker than the 172 i had, thats half the problem, on the cup the response is quicker and on mine there isnt a big kick at 5000rpm it pull from low revs smoothly upto the red line ??? maybe it was mapped that way who knows.
so basically in the cup the accelaration kick in so sharp that when the wheels lose grip you dont have time to back off if you do it stutters as you apply gas to see if you have grip and lift off when you reliase you havent.

really very very fukin annoying and as ive said the car is a peach, it drives shaper and easier (physically) than my 172MKII the seats seem lower, the steering wheel isnt as pronounced and its perfect.. but i just cant put any power down without stupid banging completley rubbish imo.

E91 M Sport
omar said:
I still can't understand why your car does it, and mine doesn't?

Something can't be right?

I've had this in every FWD and RWD car I've owned. They don't always do it, but you'd think a RWD wouldn't jump up and down, but they do. Just ease off the throttle a bit! (or only plant your foot in the wet!)

R35 GTR
I get this too, only started happening in last couple of weeks, I thought it was just tyres, but I think we should all get together and get something in writing from an expert.

Any body gonna volunteer? I want to go to renault and not have them feed me bull cos I dont know alot about the car, I'd like to go and get some sort of fix.

MKIII 138
Dave3141 said:
I get this too, only started happening in last couple of weeks, I thought it was just tyres, but I think we should all get together and get something in writing from an expert.

Any body gonna volunteer? I want to go to renault and not have them feed me bull cos I dont know alot about the car, I'd like to go and get some sort of fix.

great idea but its been touted before and knowone does anything, as i keep saying its is a genuine problem even though all cars do it maybe some of the newer 182 owners on here are having trouble accepting this inbuilt crapness in thier car, the 172/182 does it in a manner that you think the engine is gonna come out and it makes you put less power down than if you let the wheels spin until they gripped.

im up for trying to take my car into renault under warenty and seeing if any of the more experienced Technicians mite know something.

until then GDI, yozza can hopefully come up with a solution to this problem.

Nippy white cup
Scott172 did a big post and asked anyone with problems to put their names down on the post....tumbleweed blowing past was pretty much it! Mine did it when coming on cam (obviously the movement in the engine) and sounded awful...my current mounts seem ok so fingers crossed it should be fine...although I haven`t had it on the strip so that should do it! lol

Chris

Is everyone talking about the same thing here?

Engine mount is a common fault done on most cars under warrenty it usually is noticeable at low speed coming on off the accellerator as a quiet knock (I think of exhaust manifold against heat shield) I have had this done.

"Axle tramp" I assume is the front of the car bouncing under v hard acceleration (wheelspin) which causes the suspension to wind up and release suddenly which the dampers can not cope with (someone correct me if I am wrong) this causes an almighty crash or bang. As said above this happens on all cars. The more powerful and lightweight the more pronounced this affect will be this is not a mount issue this is just a release of alot of force generated by the car.

MKIII 138
well can we be at least in agreance that its not brought on by wrekless driving and is a genuine fault which needs resolving. i was hoping to keep the cup and tune properly so as to have a project/hobby car and ones that can keep pace with the latest range of turbo cars.

An orange one
meggerman, im having exactly the same problem, when my car had its 12k service, i told them about it and they replaced the downpipe on warranty, this improved it slightly but not in 1st gear where it bangs like a ***** in wet or dry.

as for all the people that say dont put your foot down hard, ive heard time and time again and in various magazines that the best way to launch a FWD car is to have the wheels spinning slightly faster than forward speed. and even then..it shouldnt do it in 2nd in bone dry over 5k revs :(:(

Would those uprated lower engine mounts from Ktec fix/help this problem?
Is the cause of a lot of the knocking and banging from up front because of the standard RS mounts?
Rob.