ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Old CS Debate - 172 or 182

T

Tom1D

My clio is now destined to be traded in. Served me well but at £1500 quids worth of stuff needed to be done on the old shed its not worth it so I have decided to raid the rainy day fund and get a new one.

So im sure previous threads have been done on this but im too lazy to find them (for which im sorry) which one should I have an why. Both must be FF as I want Xenons and climate control. I have seen a mint low mileage 172 in monaco blue which looks the dogs and a mint black gold 182. Obviously i can afford the more expensive 182 but is it worth it?

Reasons for and against please... no idle chit chat stating i should drive a 182 with no clear argument behind your answers.

Many Thanks :D

TOM1D

172 is better IMO, just looks better and is more discreet without the twin bazooka's sticking out of the back, nicer range or colours too IMO again

performance wise theres no difference

M2 Competition
Guessing the 182 will be a newer car and will cost more... your answer lies there really.

Id go for the 182 if you have the option, but you need to justify to yourself if its worth the extra money. Id say it is... but its your money :)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
having recently bought one I drove lots of sports and realised getting the best example was more important - in the end I got an 02 172 with 33k on the clock - every other one I looked at was a shed in comparision.

depends what you want too I guess - if driver aids and cruise control are important to you then go and get a 182 - I didn't like the silver belts in the 182 they got dirty very quickly the black ones in the 172 look much better...

If you don't want to change the wheels and leave it standard then you have to decide which design you prefer too, do you like the 182s exhausts or do you prefer the clean look of the back of the 172...

I'm glad I got the 172 personally - I think it looks a touch more 'elegant' than the 182, the 182 looks a bit hotter but in the wrong colour and wheel choice also looks a bit toyish..

One thing I do want to steal though is that bigger spoiler! ;)

Depends how much you have to spend, get a 172FF ie with all the options (cruise/traction etc) or a 182FF. I would personally go for the one you got the most options on and if that's the 172 get the 182 Cup Spoiler on it.

Driving wise theres very little if anything between them. Its just a matter of the right car coming along with all of the right options or ticks in the box for you.

I'd go for a 172.

me too... 182/172 are exactly the same, no noticeable difference on the road. I prefer the discreet exhaust too, attracts less attention, meaning less racers driving right up your arse.

Save yourself £2000 and get the Monaco 172, its a great colour!

Oh, and don't think I'm bumming the 172, because I drive a 182 lol

RB + LY 182 FF
i have a iceburg 172ff which i love to bits. this is my 2nd ph2 172 i have owned.
my plan is to upgrade end of year/beginning of nx year to a racing blue 182ff. mainly for the colour i have loved the colour since day one ! tho they are the same car basically.

Just waiting for the usual "there is no full fat 172 b****cks"

Hi.. If people dont know the difference between the models then im happy to help them out.

172ff doesnt exist. Never has done. Never will.

Id get a 172.

172 + coilovers + exhaust + alloys = Less than a 182

Plus as Fudgey says, more discreet etc.

Hi.. If people dont know the difference between the models then im happy to help them out.

Id get a 172.

A 182 FF doesn't exist either, except in your head. :clown:

Before I got a 182 I was wary about the rear exhausts (it was one of the least liked parts of the car for me as they seem a bit OTT/attention attracting) but I've grown to quite like them now. I prefer the wider track of the 182 (172s also often look a bit undertyred with 195s on).

The 172 is nice though, but the 182 is the newer car - although condition and mileage is important- it does give more scope to find a cleaner car (ie less so if they stopped making the 172 and never replaced it). What I'm tyring to say is that there probably isn't much between them (exhaust aside) just more of them to choose from!

Turbos.
Flame red is an unbeatable, but i would simply judge it on your budget and what mileage/condition car you can get.

But wasn't the original 172 an "ff" and then there was a 172 Cup, must like a 182 "ff" and 182 Cup?

No.

172 Cup

182 with Cup Packs
182 Cup

FF is only used to describe the 182 with Cup Packs to differentiate between the 182 without them. As it wasnt an option on the 172, its just 172 or 172 Cup.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've owned both. If they were both in equal condition i'd get the 172. Cheaper, no slower, more mpg, better colours. If you're thinking of ever getting coilovers, makes sense to get the cheaper car. The exhaust is also cheaper to replace, which will need doing at some point.

Turbo LY R27
Why do people get so uptight about the whole 172ff thing?:banghead:

Does it really matter? FF is a made up thing anyway.....as is amphasite lol!

180.6Bhp 172 cup (cc)
having recently bought one I drove lots of sports and realised getting the best example was more important - in the end I got an 02 172 with 33k on the clock - every other one I looked at was a shed in comparision.

depends what you want too I guess - if driver aids and cruise control are important to you then go and get a 182 - I didn't like the silver belts in the 182 they got dirty very quickly the black ones in the 172 look much better...

If you don't want to change the wheels and leave it standard then you have to decide which design you prefer too, do you like the 182s exhausts or do you prefer the clean look of the back of the 172...

I'm glad I got the 172 personally - I think it looks a touch more 'elegant' than the 182, the 182 looks a bit hotter but in the wrong colour and wheel choice also looks a bit toyish..

One thing I do want to steal though is that bigger spoiler! ;)

Couldnt agree with this guy more, Its what you like/want try em both and decide

Turbo LY R27
Because its wrong?

Would you like to be called Tom?

Well then if its wrong, then there should be no ff at all really, should be 182, 182 with cup packs and 182 cup.
There is no wrong because its made up.

Call me whatever you like my friend lol:eek:

182 & Porsche 986
i've got a 172, but if i could have afforded the extra insurance i would have just got an 182 purely because it's newer.

Well then if its wrong, then there should be no ff at all really, should be 182, 182 with cup packs and 182 cup.
There is no wrong because its made up.

Call me whatever you like my friend lol:eek:

lol, I know. Technically you're right. Its just a CS made up term.

E92 M3
i like the black gold colour better

the seats are nicer in the 182 i think

and i realy like the exhausts and its a newer car

if it was me i would buy the 182 and will be when i can afford it

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
i've got a 172, but if i could have afforded the extra insurance i would have just got an 182 purely because it's newer.

Same insurance group. Only the 172cup and the trophy are more expensive to insure.

Mini Cooper S sport
Having had a 172 and a 182, I'd go for the 182. They're newer and I like the twin exhausts and the bigger spoiler & amphasite alloys (if it's FF haha).

I also prefer the 182 colours, although flame red 172s are very nice. I certainly wouldn't complain about having my RB 182 back.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Id get a 172.

Wow . We managed to get to post # 12 before we went off topic :approve:

Personally , having owned a FF 172 and a FF 182 i'd go for the FF 182 if your budget allows .

They are basically the same car , same performance .... just with a few minor cosmetic changes to the 182 .

Where the standard FF 182 excels over the standard FF 172 imo is the handling . The FF 182 feels more planted and seems to offer better grip which i assume is down to the slightly lower , stiffer suspension , the slightly wider track , wider tyres and also not forgetting the tyres themselves , Michelin Pilot Exaltos .

FF 182 :rasp: everytime for me !!

I'd personally go for a 172, mainly because you can still find mint examples with all the toys you want, and making sure that you find one with the belts done recently so you dont have to worry about spending out more cash. Will probably save you a considerabe amount of cash that way instead of finding a half decent 182 which is still more expensive. Age and mileage means nothing on clios, ive got a 52 Clio 172 Cup with 85k miles on it, and in very good condition (so im told!) and with a smooth powerful engine.

Mountune Tractor
182 for me all day long.
When I had a 172 I was jealous every time I saw a 182 because of the twin zorsts, spoilers and wheels.
My personal opinion of course.

Clio 172 cup
172 has a spare wheel (apart from cups) 182s don't

182s are still halfway + through there depreciation so the 172 would be the better choice.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
my 172 pawns my 182 in the way it drives TBH, 172 flows, 182 just doesn't. Hard to describe.

Some would say this is a massdebate