ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ollie's Silver Cup - JMS RS2/Wilwood/2118

Ollie's Silver Cup
Iceberg 172 Cup :)

As a few things will be happening soon, I thought best to stick everything in a single thread. I spent a little while sorting through flickr this morning and finding all the photos needed to diary the car to date; I started a thread a few months back which I planned to update, but it never seemed to happen! :eek:

After spending a while deciding between a 172 cup and 182, I decided on a cup and set about finding one. I came across an iceberg cup online and took a trip to Derby to have a look and take it for a test drive; deposit was left and a couple of days later it was collected :D

3980284539_251518bb29.jpg

Such an enjoyable car, and generally very happy with the condition :) The following week it had a full on service with cam belt kit and, because of the air-con option, an aux belt too. Only thing was that the turinis weren't in the greatest condition, and a couple of small dents, but not a problem getting those sorted.

I was going to spray my front diamond anthracite, but after seeing them available on here, I ordered a carbon front diamond; think they look great on silver cars!

4072187233_851ea839d7.jpg

4072789704_a68c02825c.jpg

At this point, gave the car a serious clean and detail, followed by some photo *****ing :D

4083373024_a12c59bf9f.jpg

4083374848_7454b8f38d.jpg

As the cup splitter was missing when I bought the car, it seemed the perfect excuse to order a carbon replacement :D

4100583155_9f8f53bc82.jpg

4144265862_bd9b4982c3.jpg

4143503745_7aca58c9eb.jpg

As said, the turinis wern't in the best condition and buying the car just in time for the winter weather it was pretty obvious they wouldn't fair too well. There was some curbing from a previous owner, but the biggest problem was the corrosion! :dead:

4227400235_984826688b.jpg

I decided the best solution would be to order some new turinis from the local Renault dealer; can't fault the service, ordered one day, arrived the next :approve: I wasn't sure whether to go for anthracite turinis, but because of the difference in offset and the fact I think they look great in silver, I stuck with the cup version :)

4252087010_09e1276f4d.jpg

4252087814_3e82f2ac83.jpg

Obviously a refurb would have been the cheaper option, but I liked the idea of having a second set of wheels, not to mention the convenience. The new wheels haven't gone on the car yet, as I thought better to wait until the worst of the winter weather has gone :)

Currently in the process of messing around with suspension :approve:

Although they seem to get mixed reviews on here, coming from Fords previously where they are much more highly rated, I thought I'd give the Gaz kit a go. After ordering a few weeks ago, they arrived last Friday.

4352061938_6783d94fef.jpg

4351315145_2670880608.jpg

4352063066_7452b4be41.jpg

4352062730_a7e4d27d09.jpg

4352062410_e1c0db3162.jpg

However, there was a problem, I had been sent a kit with 60mm front hole spacing! :dapprove:

4352555689_beb4bda0aa.jpg

Jumping straight on the phone to the supplier, he had ordered the kit that Gaz listed for a 172 cup!

Gaz were arguing that 172 cup and 182 cup both use the 60mm hole spacing :banghead: They stated that, because as far as they were concerned they had supplied the correct kit and my car must be wrong, I'd have to pay for them to be changed to mounts with 54mm hole spacing! :mad:

Shocked was an understatement tbh!

This went on for a couple of days before on Wednesday I spoke to a guy called Andy at Gaz, who was very helpful! He arranged for a courier to collect the fronts on Thursday, Friday the cases would be changed to those with 54mm hole spacing, and they should be back with me on Monday :D

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Re: Iceberg 172 Cup Project

Glad you got the coilovers sorted mate, car's going to look stunning!

Ollie's Silver Cup

Me too; I thought I was going to have to sell them and order something different!

Looking forward to getting them on now :) They obviously have the rear springs with adjustable platforms, but I didn't get a photo of those

I've just ordered some camber correcting bolts too, as there's no built in camber adjustment on the Gaz units. I'm not planning on going too low, so shouldnt upset the camber too much, but I'd like the option to correct as necessary anyway :)

Ollie's Silver Cup

Cheers! :cool:

I've just discovered I have a slow puncture :( Thought something didn't quite feel right!

I need to order a couple of new tyres next week anyway, so can see if it can be sorted, or if it needs a new one :)

non sport

some really nice photos there mate. i remember reading about your coilies being wrong, glad you got them sorted finally.

n/a

car looks stunning will keep my eye open for it while going through Wigston:approve:

Black Gold Trophy

beautiful car mate, I heard a similar story from someone on here who ordered a set of vmaxx coilovers in the group buy! Shocking what the level of service from some manufacturers is like!

Ollie's Silver Cup

Cheers for the kind comments :D

Forgot to mention stereo stuff. I'm a bit of an audio geek, so had to make sure the Clio had something that sounded pretty good :)

I didn't want to add too much weight, so I've changed the headunit and gone for some quality components up front. Currently it's only running the fronts; the rears will be changed in the near future too though :approve:

Alpine IVA-D106R headunit

4060477557_5cf6bff4b5.jpg

4060476593_f8ec362182.jpg

JL Audio ZR components in the front :cool:

4020097858_16027f9655.jpg

JL Audio wiring throughout

3989993486_fa32a28d14.jpg

They're currently running from an Alpine pdx amplifier, mounted in the boot. When I get around to installing the rear speakers I'll have to change amplifier too, just need to find something that's high quality, but not too heavy :)

4061222400_46286eec72.jpg

4061222966_1654bab00d.jpg

Ollie's Silver Cup

Package was waiting for me when I got home from work this evening :cool:

Front suspension was returned from Gaz today; new cases with 54mm hole spacing mounts :)

4379042079_15eeebc14e.jpg

4379797514_85f9e498a9.jpg

4379798072_a4ee89a47b.jpg

I've put the spring seats, springs, etc back on them now, so all ready to go onto the car once camber correction bolts have arrived :approve:

It seems, based on peoples feedback on here, it's worth looking into solid top mounts too and possibly an adjustable arb; I'll see how it feels once the coilovers are on the car and set up though and then decide from there :D

Ollie's Silver Cup

Quick shot of the fronts back together :D

4389928429_ec8f1f2150.jpg

Camber correcting bolts arrived during the week too

4390698114_c78ca6b9c8.jpg

My pressed metal plates had picked up a few stone chips and dents, which I wasn't happy with :( So, I ordered some from fancy plates; normal size front and rear, then a smaller front for the recess :approve:

4389929249_278712e761.jpg

Ollie's Silver Cup

Orange indicators gone :approve: Replaced with the oily-effect style

Really need to give the headlight units a refurb to get rid of the marking along the top edge; seems to be a common issue?

4392615796_612d4db321.jpg

I've put the new number plates on today too, but it started raining so didn't have time to get a photo! :dapprove:

Ollie's Silver Cup

^^^Looks great mate :cool:

I wish my front end was that tidy :dapprove:

Cheers mate

I was surprised the paint on the front bumpers pretty good, considering the age of the car; got a couple of dents on the bonnet that annoy the hell out of me though! :dead: lol!

172 Cup

thats looking very nice and clean.

the problem with your headlights...are they sort of grazed all over the top? thats what mine are like. Seems its quite common. Need to find someone with a machine polisher :)

Ollie's Silver Cup

Booked a day off work to get coilovers fitted and set up; Wednesday 17th March :D

Ordered new tyres to go on the new turinis and, as I'm getting the knocking, just this moment ordered KTR uprated engine mounts to fix that :approve:

Probably solid top mounts for the suspension next too, and possibly an adjustable arb.

Posted these elsewhere, but a couple of photos from last weekend, just to show 3/4 front plate fitted

4394290561_4dd2d8c59b.jpg

4394291995_c7895b959e.jpg

Ollie's Silver Cup

the problem with your headlights...are they sort of grazed all over the top? thats what mine are like. Seems its quite common. Need to find someone with a machine polisher :)

Yep, looks almost like weathering! lol! Once it's a bit warmer I'll have a go at sorting it :)

Ollie's Silver Cup

Slight issue appeared! Car is pulling slightly to one side with the wheel sitting off-centre and the back's stepping out at times! :(

Had a quick glance under the car and nearside rear shock isn't looking too healthy; covered in oil down the shock :dead: Not really a problem, as my coilovers are be fitted next wednesday so hopefully that will sort the problem. Obviously the tracking will be done then too :)

If that doesn't sort the pulling and off-center steering wheel, I guess I'll need to have a look at track rod ends next?

Ollie's Silver Cup

Package waiting when I arrived home from work this afternoon :D

K-Tec / vibra-technics uprated upper engine and upper gearbox mounts

4424590921_69a2dbc06d.jpg

4425357804_f2a24edcc5.jpg

K-Tec bolt in suspension top mounts, in black

4425358260_3aa5fa8776.jpg

:cool:

Ollie's Silver Cup

Cheers for the comments; looking forward to getting the stuff on :D

Should all be done on Wednesday, the new wheels are going on then too :)

Last edited:

Nice car, got same mounts on me 182, just wish had got my suspension mounts in black! Like the 3/4 Number plate, defo tidys up the front end!

Audi TT 3.2

serious stuff! i need them engine mounts and top mounts in my life!

Ollie's Silver Cup

Cheers :cool:

Completely forgot about the dogbone mount! Been to order poly one today in the hope I can have it before Wednesday, although it's not looking too likely :(

Also had the new tyres mounted on the new turinis today, so they're ready for Wednesday now too! Filled with nitrogen apparently, which although I can't see it making any noticeable difference, was free so can't grumble :)

Fair amount of oil appears to be coming out of the rear shock now! Be good to get everything sorted on Wednesday

TrackCar & F30 330d

Some really cool goodies you have bought there :)

Suspension top mount look much better in black rather in that gold.

Ollie's Silver Cup

Just got back with everything sorted; following a rather large b-road detour on the way home :cool:

Gaz coilovers fitted, along with KTR bolt in top mounts. KTR/Vibratechnics upper engine and gearbox mounts fitted :)

Love it! First impressions, very impressed with the handling. I'm glad I gave the Gaz kit a chance as I'm very happy with how it's feeling :D In terms of damper settings, it's over towards the softer settings at the moment, but I'll give it a couple of weeks to get used to it then maybe have a play again :)

KTR/Vibratechnics upper engine and upper gearbox mount have made a massive difference too; just feels so much more immediate. Read in a couple of threads about people having excessive vibration, etc but getting very little of that. Slightly more vibration when stationary in traffic but by no means excessive and they've obviously still to bed in yet too :) Highly recommend them, especially considering the price! :approve:

Pics to follow soon :D