ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One Clio to Rule them All...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  williams and trophy
but thats not just for hatches is it?? come on now.....

all round ability is where its at. its the reason you bought the trophy....as u keep reminding us..... and the willy beats it hands down, fairly equal in terms of drivability,but it took reno 10 years to get anywhere near the willy, and the trophy imho is very close but still lacks the driver input.... and the williams just oozes sooooooooo much more class.

the looks, the driving position, the comfort, the pedigree. its all about the williams

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
No, but there were several hatches above it, which was my point.

Being:

The 205 GTi
Clio V6
Trophy
R26R

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols are all williams drivers so biased?

It's cringe worthy tbh.

williams and trophy
lol....iv driven all those except the r26r. and id say the williams is a more involing, drivers car, i.e no 'aids' like the trophy/v6/r26 the 205 granted doesnt have them, and is a hoot to drive, so is deserving to be in the list, albeit not above the williams.

and you forget, evo had a long termer trophy at the time and wanted an r26r.......biased much??

williams drivers arent overly biased. they are just honest. and dont need the 'aids' to be able to drive.

funny how the evo writers also change their minds.... i mean in the drivers car shootouts of years gone by, the williams came up trumps, above the aforementioned cars, but yet is almost forgotten about in issues a year later. whats that all about??

A ANIMAL
i.e no 'aids' like the trophy/v6/r26 ?

To be fair mate, the driver aids in the trophy are f**king useless.

The trophy is a much better car than the williams. I have driven both at length on track. BUT - the Williams was the original 2L clio, without which the later models would not have been as good as they are.

And your view is highly blinkered. just my opinion

williams and trophy
blinkered in what sense??

it won rallys, it won the hearts of the general public. it set a precedent at reno regaining their history of hot hatches, on which they tried to build on. it took them 10 years to get anywhere near equaling it .

all driver aids are fukkin useless.......thats the point, they are a hindrance on ANY drivers car, unless of course, the driver cant drive. then they come into their own.

just look at how many cups are totalled cos inept drivers rely on abs etc.

MCS R56
This thread is no different to all "which is best" threads And I'm not sure how the Williams' drivers are "not biased" but just honest?! That's funny!

A ANIMAL
Have you read your posts regarding the willy? sounds like you have made love to one. thats all im saying.

The driver aids arguement is irrelivent imo. They don't make the car any better or worse. How can you argue the willy is better than the Trophy?? in what way?

williams and trophy
the 17/82s are a step backwards in terms of what a hot hatch is all about. as are the mk4/5/6 golfs etc etc.

williams and trophy
more reliable???

iv had my williams for 8 years. i havent had 1 serious prob with it. the car is 16 years old, i have the full history, its never had any major probs. i go to it, put the key in, it starts. theres no aqueeks, rattles, groans, theres no over rated over priced suspension componants giving up the ghost after a couple years abuse

more refined

how??? the williams seats are probably the comfiest seats you will sit in in a car, the dash tels you everything you need to know about the condition of the important things, oil temp/pressure etc etc. the cabin is a nice place to be, quiet, warm. granted the trophy cabin can be also, when theres no rattles etc.

outpace it......lol.......i think not. not in my experience anyway

Joe, I wouldn't bother. He's been the same for years. You'll never make him realise things have moved on.

I didn't buy a Williams because they look so dated. That was 5 years ago. Some people realise that it was a good car and maybe for you deluded fan boys it still is, but to most, they want a car that isn't older than them, with spiders in the mirrors and more rust than the titanic.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
I'm going to get another Williams, was thinking of making an offer on 0002, but dont think it would be worth much as it's been in a front end smash and badly repaired... overspray and replacement engine isn't good either

SC Ph1 172 and M140i
i care, and so do you or you wouldnt of read it, replied or started crying! :rasp:

Of course YOU care you are probably the same person:rasp:

Oh yeah course I cried I am a girl what do you expect.

He just bores the hell out of me to be honest all I see when he posts is BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I can appreciate all Clio's for different reasons in fact all Renaults to be honest old and new. I am just really glad I own a genuine non crash damaged Williams ;)

This thread is pure gold lol.

The Williams is too old for most people on here to remember or appreciate, but whatever your preference they are still only Clio's and standard they get boring after a while.

Black 172 PH2
All Williams owners are driving gods according to this thread, as Williams have no driver aids and thats the big problem with modern the hot hatch?

I own a 172, i just flip a switch and magically ESP/TC is switched off, nothing to get in the way.
Based on the arguments on here that makes it instantly as good as a Williams ;)

Dont get me wrong, i love the Williams. but there are some serious willy fanboys on here.

We have one of each, steering is the main thing on the Williams that makes it more fun, even if my 172 does have well over 100bhp more lol

williams and trophy
All Williams owners are driving gods according to this thread, as Williams have no driver aids and thats the big problem with modern the hot hatch?

I own a 172, i just flip a switch and magically ESP/TC is switched off, nothing to get in the way.

Dont get me wrong, i love the Williams. but there are some serious willy fanboys on here.

errr no not really....cos not ALL williams es have no aids. the later ones do have abs. and its shite. which is why i only have 'proper' ones. no numbers after the williams stickers on mine, and none wanted/needed.

as above, most on here will be too young to really appreciate what the williams was/is about, and how it moved the game forward in terms of hot hatches. how many times have the 17/82s shown up the 4wd wrc monsters on the rally courses around the world??? and i dont mean the privateer teams, i mean full on works teams.

how much of the motoring press hark back to compare the new 'king' of hot hatches against the old school 'king' 17/82??? errrrr none, they pick the williams every time.

yes i love my williams' and for good reason. if youv seen my track day vids, ul see the 172s, 182s, 197s, spiders, meg 225s,v6s, scoobs, porkas etc etc get passed by the supposed old rusty spider infested car.

the only trophy thats managed to stay with me was 1 driven by the fiesta cup challenge car champion, on slicks. where the willy was on michelin pe2s, and even he struggled. and i aint no race driver god or series champion. speaks volumes for the car imho, and even he admitted that he couldnt keep up apart from the slower corners where the slicks helped immensely. put the same tyres on the williams and hed have had no chance.

i see all you with an opinion are allowed to have that opinion. but the williams owners arent allowed to have or put forward their opinion without being accused of being biased/stuck in the dark ages etc etc.

some things never change on this site....and iv been here long enough to notice. lol

williams and trophy

except abs and no...it has hardly any 'feel' to the steering, is heavy, uncomfortable, and doesnt handle all that great

Lets face it it should read

Joint First: Renault Clio Williams, Renault Clio 172 ph1, Reanult Clio 172 Cup, Renault Clio 197 in all forms, Renault Clio 200 in all forms
Sixth: Everything else

Black 172 PH2
2Live, i can see you love your Williams.
I like them as well.

Thing i get from you though is that the Williams is the best car ever made, everything else is crap.
Thats just not the case.

Theres no doubt the Williams is a peach of a car. and i agree it moved the game on in the 90's.
I don't understand how you can completely love the Williams, but detest the 1*2's?
As the 1*2s and 197/200 are good cars as well, as the Williams they have/are class leaders for people in the know.

A ANIMAL
Joe, I wouldn't bother. He's been the same for years. You'll never make him realise things have moved on.

I didn't buy a Williams because they look so dated. That was 5 years ago. Some people realise that it was a good car and maybe for you deluded fan boys it still is, but to most, they want a car that isn't older than them, with spiders in the mirrors and more rust than the titanic.

Clearly, Dan.

and 2live - i appreciate the williams as a true icon, no doubt an excellent car. But to say a trained racing driver on slicks could not keep up with your williams is just dreaming. Unless your willy is tuned to f**k??

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I loved my Williams, it was a great car. On several fronts it is better than the Trophy. However, I find the Trophy as an overall better car. The handaling is better. It's quicker in a straight line (and the Williams of mine had a decat, exhaust and chip). I also find the Trophy inspires more confidence. It also feels alot more solid as there are less creaks, rattles and fluctuations in it.

Williams plus points are seating position and steering wheel. It to me still does look and feel special as well, more so than the Trophy.

I don't think it's any less involving than the Williams but it has been a year since I sold it. Also, I do agree the TC is very interfering on the Trophy when you thrash it but I just turn it off, as there is that option.

One thing that did get to me, which was due to that crash was how unsafe the Willliams is. Any impact and the car seemps to crumple badly. There's been loads on WC after crashes and you can see they take damage really badly. Although that Trophy I was in rolled 4 times it still looked ok.

I don't mind coming to a weighted decision and balancing things and giving each credit.

Last edited:
  williams and trophy
2Live, i can see you love your Williams.
I like them as well.

Thing i get from you though is that the Williams is the best car ever made, everything else is crap.
Thats just not the case.

Theres no doubt the Williams is a peach of a car. and i agree it moved the game on in the 90's.
I don't understand how you can completely love the Williams, but detest the 1*2's?
As the 1*2s and 197/200 are good cars as well, as the Williams they have/are class leaders for people in the know.

lol....i dont hate the 17/82s ...they are fairly decent cars. but they just didnt move the game on like the legendary williams did, to class is as best hot hatch would be a massive travesty to the motoring world. the driving position is crap, but livable with, the steering weight is non existant, but again, livable with ..... aids is livable with , but also not something you would want.

i also dont think the williams is the best car ever made....i think the proper mini takes that accolade ;)....it was so far advanced in its time that without the mini the fwd hatch would probably never exist today. an iconic car that was produced for 40 years, the likes of that we will never ever see again. i mean look at the 1st mini to roll off the production line, and look at the last, the differences were very very minor. again something we will never see in our lifetime

if the 17/82s were more powerful, better handling, comfier, id give them credit for it.....but they arent....theres only 1 i drive that does actually put a smile on my face, but thats because its fairly well modded. altho when i get out i seem to have 1/2 the poorly made steering wheel stuck to my hands. the 1st point of contact, not a very robust design, something that hasnt happened in the williams. they are cheaply made, as with the rest of the car. then theres the 197s, rusting, etc alreay....not a good sign. the 200...still has its problems. as do most other new cars.

williams and trophy
Clearly, Dan.

and 2live - i appreciate the williams as a true icon, no doubt an excellent car. But to say a trained racing driver on slicks could not keep up with your williams is just dreaming. Unless your willy is tuned to f**k??

the williams in question was running tired coilies, an 1800 valver head and a remapped ecu, mapped for when it had the cams fitted. which would be roughly running around std bhp/torque for a williams. if youd read my post properly i never said he couldnt keep up....i said he struggled....he was the 1 that said he couldnt keep up....he was quicker in some places due to the tyres, and i was quicker in other areas. i have the vids to prove somewhere......

Last edited:
i think you will find that I own my cars, not the government. not my mum, no1 but me. to do with as i please.

If it's registered with the DVLA, you have equitable use, but the government own it.

To submit (bend to the will of) an application (begging letter) of registration (to hand legal ownership to).

Legal definitions in brackets for you.

Oh dear, looks like the government own your cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.