ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One lady owner slight damage Clio mk3

Clio mk3 1.5td,Scooby,206
Well i bought this as a none recorded from a chap who's daughter had driven it a bit to quickly round a bend and ended up parking the other side of a hedge in a ditch on its side after a light roll.
The car drove back the 65 miles very well but raised a few brows....

Image080.jpg

Image082.jpg

Image081.jpg

Image085.jpg

Image083.jpg

Image084.jpg

As you can see from the pics it needs a few panels...

Both front wings
Drivers door
Grill
Headlight
High level brake light
Tyre
Backbox
Pass seat as airbag deployed
Bonnet
Also some work on rear quarter,roof,top rear side windows

The car is a 51 plate Dynamic diesel so is £33 a year to tax and 65mpg, this is why i don't mind sorting it out.

First stop is Ebay to look for panels in the right colour lol.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Needs a new rear quarter mate not just some work on it lol! Nice little project though. Hope you paid sub £100 :D

Lol no need for a quarter just needs panel beating. These cars look like they are galvo so putting a new quarter on would mean a none galvo panel or a second hand one.

If i could buy 51 plate DCi clios that are not recorded for a couple of hundred quid then i would.
These tend to go for around 2k in good condition so seeing as this stands me at about a quarter of that means i'm pretty happy with it as a project seeing as it has eight months tax and test.

Quick update.

I've replaced the following up to now-

Rear seat belt
Rear spoiler
Front wheel
Drivers side door
Front grill
Front bumper plastic inserts
Headlight
Pass side front wing (in the post)
Repaired pass seat with new airbag

car.jpg

Next up will be to get the front end on when the wings turn up (thanks to forum member 'Mk3').

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Lol no need for a quarter just needs panel beating. These cars look like they are galvo so putting a new quarter on would mean a none galvo panel or a second hand one.

That needs a new rear quarter! No panel beater would get that dent out! Unless you plan on investing in filler shares?

I owned a bodyshop for years and know 100% that the rear quarter can be done without a new none galvo one welding in.
I do not own a bodyshop now days but am self employed in the motor trade and so parts have cost very little and time is my own, so hence i'm not worried about the damage or time/trouble involved in repairs.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
thats scrap metal!

will cost more than its worth to repair by far,

i sure as hell hope you paid sub £100 for that!

I owned a bodyshop for years and know 100% that the rear quarter can be done without a new none galvo one welding in.

Of the breaker variety who think beating something roughly back to shape then applying an inch thick layer of filler is an acceptable repair or a legitimate, quality bodyshop?

Titanium 182
Who's gonna be the one laughing when he's got it all finished? I have faith in him, I want to see how good the finish will be when it's done!

Does look like a hell of a lot of work, though!

Always love Forums for a project thread, its always the case that some people draw an opinion of how good other peoples work won't be without even knowing the person or skills involved.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Always love Forums for a project thread, its always the case that some people draw an opinion of how good other peoples work won't be without even knowing the person or skills involved.

Lets be honest, if you're going to repair that rear quarter, most of the repair will be filler, wont it?

You know he's not going to answer that question. He's going to go with the route of "I know best" and brush it aside with bravado. I've seen the work of plenty of "bodyshops" over the years and tbh very few of them are any good. Most are a bunch of bodging, filler wielding monkeys.

Well seeing as i'm being put in a corner marked 'bad person for fixing a car' i will take photos of the rear quarter repair in stages while its being done.

I simply do not understand why a lot of peeps would cut out a galvo rear quarter on a mono style shell and then either weld in a new none galvo quarter or use a chopped second hand quarter. No matter how well it done the strength is not as good as factory and rust always forms after a few years.
Maybe i should not of done a projects thread on this car as its seems most peeps up to now class it as to big a job.
Shame that, seeing as in past years i did hot rods & prestige cars.

White clique
will it go for 2k with a history of being in an accident, or will the new buyer not know about it? Or are you keeping it?

The car is intended as a run around. Come such time as it does get sold then yes its not recorded and will of been repaired so why should it go for peanuts?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
I dont doubt you skill at all, i doubt your sence.

You havn't said how much you bought the car for yet?? despite being asked,

so how much will the repairs cost?? perhaps around 1.5K for a half decent job including the painting.

so you will have paid 1.5K + however much you bought the car for, + however much you value your time at,

for a car thats been in a smash and will likely have miss matched paint.

why not just buy a 51 plate DCI clio?!

Who's gonna be the one laughing when he's got it all finished?
the person who saved time and money and bought one that hadnt been rolled perhaps??

alien green rs133
take my project into account, i had a clio on the road @ 17 worth 3k easily and it cost me 2k... haters can nob off tbh the lads doing it, if anything give him a pat on the back.

clio 172
looks like he is going to do i good job on this .post some pics when its done buddy.

sounds like you no what your talking about i wouldnt worry about what enybody has to say tbh lol ino i wouldnt care.good luck

Titanium 182
the person who saved time and money and bought one that hadnt been rolled perhaps??

I'd tend to agree with you there, I certainly wouldn't endeavor into such a task, but that's because I don't have the skills to repair the car. If he's sourcing parts cheap and the car was a good buy in the first place (which, admittedly, we still don't know) then all in he's got himself a run around for a fraction of the price.

Even if the finish isn't perfect, it's a runaround - he never said he was looking to enter it into councours!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
if it genuinly saves money, (including the value youve put on your own time doing it)
then id support it

or even if it was a rare car being restored for a hobby,

but its a clio DCI, that has a lot of damage, and has been rolled!
seems like a waste of time and money imo

G51 BEN
He said good examples go for £2000 and it owes him a quarter of that.... so.... bare with me....... ermmm..... bought it at £500 at a guess?

And to be honest he says he has owned a bodyshop previously, so clearly enjoys tinkering with cars and I doubt he is doing this as a full time job solely in order to make a profit.
I say fair play to the lad and I look forward to seeing the end product mate....

He is doing what others wouldnt, and I dont see how that is a bad thing, it just shows that he is prepared to put the time and effort into something he enjoys doing so why not???

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ahh didnt notice that lol,

means he has to do the repairs VERY cheap to break even!

if he is doing it for a hobby, then go for it, could have picked a better car to restore, but who am i to judge.
its a waste of money but most hobbies are.

but if he is doing this to save money...............hmm

Wow, you're a brave man fixing that quarter panel, there's no way in hell we'd ever fix that, would be replaced 100%. Suppose it's OK for your own car as you've no one else to keep happy with the repairs.

The reason we'd replace it is that much filler on a panel WILL crack/sink eventually, there's no if about it, no matter how well it's done.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Will be interesting to see how you get on, and if you prove the crowd against you wrong.

Good luck with it.

White clique
ahh didnt notice that lol,

means he has to do the repairs VERY cheap to break even!

if he is doing it for a hobby, then go for it, could have picked a better car to restore, but who am i to judge.
its a waste of money but most hobbies are.

but if he is doing this to save money...............hmm

he works in the trade to get all parts trade price. He then intends to use it himself as a run around so fair play. With the intent of selling on at a later date.

regardless of how well it is repaired, i'd still be pissed if i bought a car that wasnt recorded but i later found out had been rolled.