ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Only one reason to have the 197

You can't afford an R26. This was started over on Renaultsport by **, What do the forum members on Cliosport think. His argument was that you settled for the 197 because the more expensive R26 was over budget. It suffered from Boxter syndrome as he put it, You only buy one because you can't afford it's more expensive big brother.

But the R26 is a totally different car.. might as well say that Fiesta ST owners just cant afford an RS..

talking a few grand, the difference between a 911 and a boxster is five figures.

His point was I think, That for the sake of a few grand you could have the much better R26 and therefore you must have settled for the inferior 197 because you couldn't afford one.

His point was I think, That for the sake of a few grand you could have the much better R26 and therefore you mush have settled for the inferior 197 because you couldn't afford one.

But not everyone likes the same things, so you can't say that really. I prefer the look of the 197 over the Megane, and that'd be enough to sway me. I want neither though.

Say argument with the Cayman and 911.

Cayman, speaking from a dynamic point of view is a much better car than the 911 and is cheaper.

Id say the 197 looks about a million times better than the megane. It can't loose the stigma of being a fat arsed hatch.

You can't afford an R26. This was started over on Renaultsport by **, What do the forum members on Cliosport think. His argument was that you settled for the 197 because the more expensive R26 was over budget. It suffered from Boxter syndrome as he put it, You only buy one because you can't afford it's more expensive big brother.

Yawn z z z z

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
clio cup is what £12.5k, where can i buy an new R26 for £14.5?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
heh, I'd never have a meggy, that huge a**e really puts me off, I like the 197 a lot :D

Golf R
There is a few quid difference between what i paid for my R27 (LY, all options bar folding mirrors) and Sh33n paid for his R26 (Standard colour, xenons and spare wheel)... cost wasn't a factor for me - i cancelled an order for the R26 and got an R27

Mini Cooper S sport
Id say the 197 looks about a million times better than the megane. It can't loose the stigma of being a fat arsed hatch.

Oh good, you won't mind if I get a white one with black wheels then ;)

The topic's b****cks though, some people want a Clio, some want a Megane. If someone (ie me) wanted an R26, I'd wait til I could afford one which is what I'm doing.

Why would anyone get a 197 when it wasn't the car they really wanted, the the price difference isn't that huge? You can get a 2nd hand R26 for the price of a new R27 anyway.

White full fat 197, white wheels, climate, tinted windows, xenons, recaros, cup pack folding mirrors and cup spoiler = sex.
I bet I order that spec next year when I change lol.

Given the choice I'd take a 197 over a Megane. Not as fast, but tbh I dont really give a ****, it looks better and I like NA engines more... plus I can just throw on whatever mods I have on the 172... like an Omex and ITB's :)

Given the choice I'd take a 197 over a Megane. Not as fast, but tbh I dont really give a ****, it looks better and I like NA engines more... plus I can just throw on whatever mods I have on the 172... like an Omex and ITB's :)

The most sensible thing I've seen you type in ages.

E90
Its got a proper driving position is a good reason, as opposed to being perched on a 200 litre oil drum with the pedals in the passenger footwell set up of the old clio.

cock mobile.
There is a few quid difference between what i paid for my R27 (LY, all options bar folding mirrors) and Sh33n paid for his R26 (Standard colour, xenons and spare wheel)... cost wasn't a factor for me - i cancelled an order for the R26 and got an R27

Indeed, didn't we both pay £20k? lol.

The paint choice is what made it so close in price.

Fully specced R26 (inc id paint, lux) is a good 2k more however over an R27 and an R27 is itself more expensive than a Cup.

Still though R26 FTW ;)

meg1.6
I really dont like the ass end on the meg, so id take the clio... im only getting a clio cos i cant afford a DB9 :p

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
What a stupid argument. If it was true, 197 owners would all just buy 6 month old R26s... Hell, you can buy 225s with the cup pack for nicely under £10k now.

Dan

Golf R
insurance = the same
running costs = very close to each
tax = the same

if you're not too fussy option wise you can get either for a very identical price

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I don't think it's all about the price for everyone - just cos you have the cash for the Meggy doesn't mean you want to spend it on it. For example, when I was shopping for my Vee, I looked at Mk1 and Mk2s, and decided that I actually preferred the Mk1 - I know very few people agree with me - and I didn't want to spend the extra on the Mk2 even though I was lucky enough to be in the position to be able to choose. At the end of the day, for some people it'll come down the coin, for others it's just a preference. In this case I'd rather have the Clio at the moment as I don't need the extra carrying space of the Meg, and I prefer the feel of smaller cars to chuck around. In 5 years, I might need a bigger car and then circumstances would dictate I'd choose the Meg.

My take on it :) Feel free to slate me and tell me I should've bought a Mk2 V6 hehe.

Dan