ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ouch!

My plan for friday was to fully clean interior, exterior and engine bay, paint calipers and new headlights. Started off really well got a nice shine out of the exterior of the car and was all going well. Hadn't cleaned the wheels yet as i was going to do that whilst the calliper paint dried.

Unfortunatly have little experience with jacks etc, i was silly enough to jack the front end up on BOTH sides with std renault jacks. all went reasonably ok until i went to put a wheel back onto the drivers side and the jack on the passenger side collapsed inwards bending part of the shell and the jack itself. for a good 30minutes the car was resting on the passenger side bent jack.

eventually got a mate to rescue me with a hydraulic type jack lifting it from under the engine bay. Took it to renault to asses damage and its very minimal and hopefully will only effect when selling.

Some pictures:

DSC00333.gif

DSC00334.gif

DSC00335.gif

Any thoughts?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
never jack a car up on both sides at the same time using crappy Renault jacks
Come to think of it, never use Renault jacks.

TBH, I don't think anyone will notice it come sale time. Invest £50 in a jack & some axle stands & go out to the the yard and count those chickens.

Aye, i take full blame for it as you can tell. I was just being inpatient, taking time is also a key! Best place to get some axel stands and a new jack from them?

Titanium 182
Halfrauds got a deal on ATM buy a trolley jack for like £25 and get 2 two tonne axel stands with it (i think thats what it is ?)

i think u get a creeper and some chocks aswell but its around £40 aint it?

ive done that thank fully i had the wheels still on.
any damage to the disks?

Titanium 182
Tbh axle stands and trolley jacks are all pretty much the same, mine are no name ones from mackro lol

£20 for a jack and two stands, never failed me.

i think u get a creeper and some chocks aswell but its around £40 aint it?

ive done that thank fully i had the wheels still on.
any damage to the disks?

well, the passenger side disk never hit the ground thats why ive got 2 bits of wood under it just to make sure if the bent jack gave in.
Drivers side did hit the floor but i checked it and all seems pretty sound. got renault to check it out and they said it was all fine. besides the obvious miss-shaped arch.

HALFORDS... um? quality any decent? I'm warey of halfrauds now as i worked there for 2years, the things you see :eek:
You worked there for two years & don't know how to jack up a car properly ??

Says a lot for their staff tbh.

I worked on bikehut ;).

Titanium 182
well, the passenger side disk never hit the ground thats why ive got 2 bits of wood under it just to make sure if the bent jack gave in.
Drivers side did hit the floor but i checked it and all seems pretty sound. got renault to check it out and they said it was all fine. besides the obvious miss-shaped arch.

HALFORDS... um? quality any decent? I'm warey of halfrauds now as i worked there for 2years, the things you see :eek:
You worked there for two years & don't know how to jack up a car properly ??

Says a lot for their staff tbh.

I worked on bikehut ;).

Because those that can't pass GCSE's work at halfords,
and those who can't install wiperblades at halfords work on bikehut. :eek:

Halfrauds staff are very bad at their job in general really, in fact I think that the training is either very poor or as I suspect, non existent.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Halfrauds staff are very bad at their job in general really, in fact I think that the training is either very poor or as I suspect, non existent.
Can't agree more.

I'd be happy to wake up tomorrow & see that Halfords have turned to dust overnight.

C

clvs2222

haha, i did the same thing a while back. renault jack one side. peugeot the other side. very back idea.

i went out and bought a hydalic jack from machine mart. payed £60 for it but its very good. hasnt moved a mm since iv had it an use it all the time for repairs, cleaning etc

Can't agree more.

I'd be happy to wake up tomorrow & see that Halfords have turned to dust overnight.
For sure, be bad on the staff though apart from that i'd be happy if they went under. One of the worst shops ever tbh.

Titanium 182
Can't agree more.

For sure, be bad on the staff though apart from that i'd be happy if they went under. One of the worst shops ever tbh.

They can be handy if you need something quick just not if you want them to do anything involving making contact with your car.

Oh and if you want a fwuffy steering wheel cover there perfect,

Right up your alley that i imagine Cat :eek:
xx

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

They can be handy if you need something quick just not if you want them to do anything involving making contact with your car.

xx
If you need anything that requires even a modicum of common sense Aluco, try ASK in Kippax. It's a few miles from you but the bum bandits behind the counter know their stuff.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I always use wooden axle blocks (there 45 years old) And there fantastic for any job that require the car to be up for any length of time!

C

Cupster

Someone will be upset wit hthe red paint on the drive?

Unfortunate, lesson hard learn't i'm afraid!

Titanium 182

xx
If you need anything that requires even a modicum of common sense Aluco, try ASK in Kippax. It's a few miles from you but the bum bandits behind the counter know their stuff.

Heard about that place from someone at work who lives in kippax. Cheers i'll have a look sometime :approve:

clio 172
Just made a simular mistake today, I used the guide and placed a piece of wood on my trolley jack to spread the weight, which then slipped and pressed into the area to the dide of the box section causing a slight crack and for a fair amount of under seal to be removed and I am sure I can feel the lump in the passenger foot well.

This is more annoying then anything, as I also flattened the standard mounting point on one side.--- I am slowly destroying my car!!! No longer a mint example.
I have some ramps which I have borrowed which I can use to change oil etc, has to be easier.. (no doubt I will drive of them causing some damage)
Question - If you jack the front as per the guide the whole of the side of the car goes up, and if you did both sides the car would pivot in the air from back to front? can't be safe, ive not tried it as I have ruined my car enough today.

clio 172
too be honest...fook the car. you wanna be glad you werent paintin the caliper when it happened..could of been an amputation

mk4 golf gttdi180
i jacked my jeep up with a high lift jack (these go very high like 4ft) and only had 1 weel of but there not stable jacks being slim and it fell on its disks very lucky sod i was i could of lost a leg or injured at the least always use an axel stand now:D

clio 172
it only takes you being under there getting the sump plug out and your *cockny accent* 'brown bread'