ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Our Ring Trip

What an awesome weekend. Thanks Kelv for letting me tag along!

I'll post a few photos below but for the full story check out my Album on Photobucket:

http://s1034.photobucket.com/user/v800mjh/library/Nurburgring%20Trip%202013

Nurburg0310134_zpsc8c2df76.jpg

Nurburg04101325_zpse0ae9ecc.jpg

Nurburg04101342_zpsd81e0315.jpg

Nurburg04101331_zps337c694f.jpg

Nurburg04101348_zpsa1643c40.jpg

Nurburg04101355_zps01232bee.jpg

Nurburg051013125_zps40e6c0a8.jpg

Nurburg04101336_zpsa6baf414.jpg

Nurburg04101334_zps53b78d84.jpg

Nurburg04101354_zps0d26d6d9.jpg

Nurburg04101343_zps3e9ff904.jpg

Nurburg04101345_zps48b520b3.jpg

Nurburg04101328_zpsf9f1a60b.jpg

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Cool trip, shame about the weather :(

I really like that 360 stradele

It was a shame about the weather but probably better for a first timer as everything was slowed down naturally. Rather than by me lol.

The place was littered with awesome machinery as you can imagine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Still staying at Eddie's place I see, really cool guy :)

Looks like a great trip, does kelv like the new car?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It was a shame about the weather but probably better for a first timer as everything was slowed down naturally. Rather than by me lol.

My mrs much prefers it there in the rain for that reason, it can be a bit intimidating in the dry when you are trying to learn the track, especially on the closed circuit trackdays rather than tourist days, the pace on those can be very fast, Im normally one of the quicker ones on a tourist day but on those I was getting passed left right and centre!

Yeah Edgar was a very nice guy. Cute place he has too.

As far as I'm aware Kelv is very happy with the car. He wasn't too keen on the tyres though, Ad08s I think they were.

He took me round for a very fast lap and the 197 performed very well.

Yeah the speed some of the cars approach you and pass you in literally insane. I was pottering around though but don't think it would have made much of a difference. Normally GT3s or M3s.

I also noticed how much advantage you get from just knowing what the next corner is. Even small local hatchbacks were flying past me, obviously because they knew how much speed the next corner would allow you to carry, where as I was slowing down on most of them preparing for a hairpin.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah he was a very nice guy. Cute place he has too.

As far as I'm aware he loves it. He wasn't too keen on the tyres though, Ad08s I think they were.

He took me round for a very fast lap and the 197 performed very well.

Yeah the speed some of the cars approach you and pass you in literally insane. I was pottering around though but don't think it would have made much of a difference. Normally GT3s or M3s.

On a tourist day if you can get to about 9:30 or so its a good place to be for not getting passed too often. (you'll still get passed as some people do sub 8 on those days, but not many and only likely to be a few that manage to catch you as you are all spaced apart a bit when you start)
If you go round at 11 or 12 mins in the dry like a lot of people do when learning, its nuts the amount of cars that squeeze past you and its easy to get intimidated and end up going slower as a result and making it even worse.

On a tourist day if you can get to about 9:30 or so its a good place to be for not getting passed too often. (you'll still get passed as some people do sub 8 on those days, but not many and only likely to be a few that manage to catch you as you are all spaced apart a bit when you start)
If you go round at 11 or 12 mins in the dry like a lot of people do when learning, its nuts the amount of cars that squeeze past you and its easy to get intimidated and end up going slower as a result and making it even worse.

Think I was probably going round in the 13s LOL

Then because there are so many fast cars whizzing past, you've obviously got to be careful to stay off the racing line. Which also makes it harder to learn.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Think I was probably going round in the 13s LOL

Then because there are so many fast cars whizzing past, you've obviously got to be careful to stay off the racing line. Which also makes it harder to learn.

Yes this is the problem you need to get upto a pace where you can keep up with traffic before you can really learn it.

I was lucky in that my first laps were in a 350bhp Cossie so even my first ever lap was a 10:16, as although I was rubbish at the lines like anyone seeing the place for the first time, the pace on the straights kept letting me pull away from people enough to not get overtaken too much in the bends.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
When are you going? PM me chap.

Dont know yet, they dont release the dates till about February or so normally.

Ideally would like to do a DN day including Spa as well if possible and dates for that are released even later.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You should've said you were staying at Edgar's! Lol! He knows me very very well! Really nice guy and always willing to help out. I get to use one of his garages when I stay there as well.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You should've said you were staying at Edgar's! Lol! He knows me very very well! Really nice guy and always willing to help out. I get to use one of his garages when I stay there as well.

I believe that Kelv has been staying there for years, he was there when I stayed at edgars, the Evo lads I used to go with know him well too, although personally Ive only stayed there a couple of times.

Its a small world :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I believe that Kelv has been staying there for years, he was there when I stayed at edgars, the Evo lads I used to go with know him well too, although personally Ive only stayed there a couple of times.

Its a small world :)

Yes very small world! My name is/was on his dry wipe board for my 8:31 lap. He asked me to email him the link to the video as well so he could have a watch! Lol! I wouldn't and will not stay anywhere else tbh.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes very small world! My name is/was on his dry wipe board for my 8:31 lap. He asked me to email him the link to the video as well so he could have a watch! Lol! I wouldn't and will not stay anywhere else tbh.

Ive stayed at about half a dozen different places now and TBH they are all really good.
I dont really mind where I stay over there as had good experiences everywhere, but Eddie is a particularly nice guy.

Although he kicks you all off the wifi if he is racing, its quite funny his hobby is racing the ring but not in real life, lol.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ive stayed at about half a dozen different places now and TBH they are all really good.
I dont really mind where I stay over there as had good experiences everywhere, but Eddie is a particularly nice guy.

Although he kicks you all off the wifi if he is racing, its quite funny his hobby is racing the ring but not in real life, lol.
I've lost count of how many times I've offered him a passenger lap and he's declined! Lol!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
[video=youtube_share;kx9lfZgwWt0]http://youtu.be/kx9lfZgwWt0[/video]
Hardly surprising, the locals know its the english trying for laptimes who crash more than anyone else!
You seen the video of the Dutch guy in his evo 8/9?? He basically gets out the car and opens the bonnet on breidscheid with his back to the oncoming traffic!!!! Pee narse.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dont know yet, they dont release the dates till about February or so normally.

Ideally would like to do a DN day including Spa as well if possible and dates for that are released even later.
Or the renaultsport spa day might be a good one to stop at on the way home instead. Date not yet released. Fancy that mate?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
^^^^I'm considering the renaultsport day at spa next year. It's a w**k time of the year though weather wise!!

Was mid april last year IIRC as I was working in india so couldnt make it.

Bit of a lottery for rain but at least it wont be likely to be snowing, lol.

I dont mind the rain though TBH on trackdays