ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overclocked, but is it running too hot??

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Guys, machine is built and running nicely... However I think it might be running hot.

Overcooxked my q6600 from 2.2ghz @ 1066fsb to 3.2ghz @ 1600fsb (lowered multiplier to 8)

Idle is 55c load gets up to 70c what do you guys think? Too hot? Or acceptable?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
case is a nzxt hush case with two 120mm fans one at front one at back.

CPU cooler is a zalman 9700 nt fitted with as5

Think I should try re applying paste and refitting the cooler?

On prime95 for about 30mins max was 71c

What you think?

2014 Focus Titanium
Is it the B3 or the G0 stepping version?

My G0 version runs at maximum 55deg full load and about 28deg idle at 3.2ghz. you could have some cooling issues, 70c does seem a bit excessive, what volts are you running at? I would possibly try upping the multiplier to 9 and have the FSB at 356 ish, then it should run at standard FSB volts and around 1.4v for the core.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
haven't changed the volts. Although oddly in ntune (didn't use this for the overclock but installed it to look around) the volts have red dots by them on fsb and memory, should I reduce their voltage you think?

CPUz said g0 I think...

172 Cup
haven't changed the volts. Although oddly in ntune (didn't use this for the overclock but installed it to look around) the volts have red dots by them on fsb and memory, should I reduce their voltage you think?

CPUz said g0 I think...

CPUZ doesn't show the actual stepping code.

172 Cup
how do I find that out mate? I used coretemp to get my temperatures

Where did you buy the CPU from and when?

Most retailers have been shipping G0's for a while now.

As for the temps it's best to use more than one monitoring tool as the temps can differ from one to another.

2014 Focus Titanium
CPUZ does show the stepping code. This is how I found out ebuyer had sent me the B3 when I had ordered the g0, i then got a replacement and CPUZ changed to g0 stepping as soon as i put it in.

I use Everest Ultimate for temperatures, but afaik Coretemp is also fine.

172 Cup
CPUZ does show the stepping code. This is how I found out ebuyer had sent me the B3 when I had ordered the g0, i then got a replacement and CPUZ changed to g0 stepping as soon as i put it in.

I use Everest Ultimate for temperatures, but afaik Coretemp is also fine.

CPUZ shows "stepping" and "revision". It does not show the actual stepping code, batch or week number.

Saying that you're correct and it should identify a G0 by the revision field.

I did some research when mine was reprting 55c 'idle' in the BIOS. I have a different CPU but it seems this isn't all that unusual. I'm not too worried about it personally, as I'm guessing the PC would become unstable and crash if the temps were actually too high?

I had mine running at 3.33Ghz with similar temperatures to yours david, but have since gone back to stock, as nothing I'm playing really needs anymore power, with the possible of exception of Crysis of course :D

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
All I did was follow the guide the overclockers guy told me for applying the as5. He told me to effectively draw a line across the chip and the paste would spread out on its own.

Do you guys think I should try it again?

oh and griff I'll post the temps using that prog tonight

Iceburg 172FF
I usually apply a small amount in the middle then spread carefully out to the sides with the edge of a credit card until its even and smooth. Idle around 30 and max under load is around 55/56. 70+ does seem a bit hot although its quite a high overclock.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
I just want to be running optimally!

I mean, if I turn voltages down, could it cause an issue? Just worried about them being marked as red in ntune...

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
did the Zalman not come with its own heatsink compound? Mine did and I just applied a thin coat covering the whole surface of the chip (you paint it on pretty much)

Monaro VXR
did the Zalman not come with its own heatsink compound? Mine did and I just applied a thin coat covering the whole surface of the chip (you paint it on pretty much)

The included stuff is usually naff. Just changing to AS5 can drop up to 5c off the temps.

In answer to the question no 70c in coretemp is not that bad for an overclocked quad core. Most of them get higher than that at load on the stock cooler. However it should be lower. Reseat the heatsink and see how it is. And give it the thinnest possible coat of AS5 you can.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

The included stuff is usually naff. Just changing to AS5 can drop up to 5c off the temps.

In answer to the question no 70c in coretemp is not that bad for an overclocked quad core. Most of them get higher than that at load on the stock cooler. However it should be lower. Reseat the heatsink and see how it is. And give it the thinnest possible coat of AS5 you can.

well mine is running pretty low temps considering its oc'd by 1.2Ghz.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
well either way you look at it, mines running hot. will post up results later i imagine.

whats the best way of testing temps? running prime95? how long does it take to bed in and get accurate temps etc you think?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
heard coretemp was better because it gives you temps of all the cores seperately. but i'll give it a shot gfor sure.

any of you know why windows reports my cpu as Q6600 @ 2.4ghz? instead of the oc'd value?

172 Cup
heard coretemp was better because it gives you temps of all the cores seperately. but i'll give it a shot gfor sure.

any of you know why windows reports my cpu as Q6600 @ 2.4ghz? instead of the oc'd value?

XP or Vista?

Monaro VXR

well mine is running pretty low temps considering its oc'd by 1.2Ghz.

Isn't yours a dual core? They run a fair bit cooler than the quads.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
vista is what i'm running.

cpuz.jpg

this is what i'm worried about...the red dots

ntune.jpg

Last edited:
  172 Cup
The name/description of the cpu is hard coded as "Q6600 @ 2.40GHz". If you go into "System" you'll see it actually says something like "Q600 @ 2.40GHz 3.20GHz".

Edit - Like..

vistacpu.jpg

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
woooaa in windows properties it says Q6600@ 2.4ghz 3.6ghz how can vpuz and the bios both be reporting differnet? well confused.

also tat doesn't work under vista64 :(

A4 Avant
Too much paste is as bad as not enough!!

Even on an overclocked quad core 70 deg has gotta be too hot surely?

woooaa in windows properties it says Q6600@ 2.4ghz 3.6ghz how can vpuz and the bios both be reporting differnet? well confused.

You're software overclocking though? I'm unsure how it works but I can't see the BIOS reporting higher speeds unless you've OCed it in there. I'd imagine the higher speed won't come into play until the drivers are loaded? I'm unsure if this is correct but I'd like to know.

Monaro VXR

Reset the comp. And press F8 when it is loading after the bios is finished buggering about and keep pressing it. A screen will appear with a few new options one is something like disable driver signing or something like that.

Pick that and TAT may run in Vista 64. But you have to do that each time you want to use it. Not sure if it works for TAT or not it does work for coretemp though. So use that if you can't get TAT to work.

Also memory voltage is quite high. 2.3v should not be needed Looks like you are running 1066mhz memory. So 2.1v should be more than enough at standard clocks.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
70C is abit high tbh for 24/7, i was hitting 72C @ 4.0Ghz but I had to pump 1.6v into my Q6600 G0 to get it stable there, im happy at 3.85Ghz with around 60C on 4 x 100% load @ only 1.51v :)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
ok i've lowered the voltages on fsb and memory, they've now gone yellow in the ntune software

BTW i DIDNT OC FROM NTUNE! i done it from the bios, i just looked a ntune while i was monitoring stuff.

Last night i replace the heatsink 3 times!!! Got temps down a little idles at 45-50 and on load can go about to about 68 so marginally better, the other two attemps were much worse, so either i've done it wrong 4 times or this is normal?