ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overheating, squeaking engine and juddering steering. What has gone wrong?

Been searching the forum but can't seem to figure out what has gone wrong on my 2005 182FF. Recently changed my alternator after it died and all seemed to be going just fine for about a week then today I took her for a spin and I'm sure I felt something go under the car and then could hear a squeaking coming from the engine. Then noticed my temperature was maxed out and when I tried to turn the steering wheel it made an even louder squeaking nose and the steering judders quite strongly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Perfect timing as I've arranged for it to be viewed tomorrow as I'm selling it but that seems unlikely now!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Definitely sounds belt related - both belts too, as the water pump is on the timing belt and the power steering is on the aux belt.
Does the car still run/idle?

182 clio
Been searching the forum but can't seem to figure out what has gone wrong on my 2005 182FF. Recently changed my alternator after it died and all seemed to be going just fine for about a week then today I took her for a spin and I'm sure I felt something go under the car and then could hear a squeaking coming from the engine. Then noticed my temperature was maxed out and when I tried to turn the steering wheel it made an even louder squeaking nose and the steering judders quite strongly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Perfect timing as I've arranged for it to be viewed tomorrow as I'm selling it but that seems unlikely now!

Water pump is on the aux belt.
Check aux belt for its tension my guess is it will have failed or be slack.

182 clio

182 clio
Auxiliary/Accessory Belt & Pulley
- Tensioner Mounting Bolt: 62N·m ± 6N·m
- Tensioner Spring Mounting Bolt: 21N·m ± 2N·m
- Pulley Bolt: 32N·m ± 3N·m