ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oversteer Issues

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hi guys, in need of some advice please.

I did a trackday on Saturday at Oulton Park and I came off 3x in as many laps.

I know what everyone will say that it was driver error but bear with me. The car just span round on me, gave no warning it was about to do it. The third time a friend of mine was driving and it did the same to him.

After a black flag and a bollocking, fully expected and deserved, I returned to the garage to cry and feel ashamed. After I manned up we had a look around the car, nothing loose or broken, all tires were at 30psi, they are filled with Nitrogen so I didn't check pressures throughout day.

The day was greasy but I've drove in similar conditions before and never experienced this. The only difference I can say is that I had a brand new pair of Nankangs new trackday tires on the front and Parada Spec 2's on the rear, all at 30psi.

Had it tracked, rear has -1.5 camber, toe is -15ish both sides. Ran this on previous days with no issues.

I run K-Tec coilovers, I know not the best, but previously had no issues, along with a Whiteline ARB set on soft.

All I'm wanting to know is what could cause the issue, a few people on the day commented it could be the Paradas on the back being too soft, i.e sidewall.

Swapped tires front to back and it was perfect the rest of the day which makes me think it was most likely the Paradas. Can anyone who can read through all this nonsense and waffle give me any advice?

Thanks in advance.

mk1 Octavia VRS
I'd go with it being caused by your tyres. Mid range road tyres on the back with trackday/ultra performance tyres on the front would have a tendency to oversteer. The stiffer rear end from the coilovers and ARB would probably make it more twitchy too.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Lots of grip at the front, less grip on the rear.

Obvious conclusion is oversteer.

Reverse for understeer.

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks guys. I was hoping it was something as simple as this. I'll get 2 new tires ordered. Big thank you. :cheers:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Its probably the tyres. Not the fault of the tyres but because having a softer compound on the front and a harder compound on the rear is not ideal for a FWD car and certainly won't help. The other way around is better.

Did you touch the kerbs at all when you span? A damp kerb isn't very grippy.

You should have tried it with the arb disconnected to compensate for less grip on the back and toe out makes it more liable to oversteer, toe in helps stop that.

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
No, I kept away from the kerbs as I knew they would be slippy.

I didn't disconnect the rear ARB as I had done plenty of days before in similar conditions, only without the tire setup, the Nankangs were the only change.

I may have typed the Toe wrong on the rear. It is -15 in on the rear

I will change to running the Nankangs all round. The Paradas were ok for a while but I think they are a weak point on the car now.

Clio 182
Possibly lower the rear tyre pressures? I've noticed mine feels noticeably 'pointier' even at road speeds with equal or higher rear tyre pressures.

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Parada Spec 2's are pretty naff tbh.

Was it Druids by any chance?

It's looking like they are! Yes Druids twice. I was going quite slow the second time as I knew it was a slippy corner anyway plus I had spun already there.

I'll return to my cave and order some new tires. Thanks for input guys.

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Get a couple more nankangs so matching all round John and will be reet. They the ns2 mate, you rate them?

Hi George. I can't give an honest opinion yet. Pulled me off wet grass quite well. Only opinion I can give.

If car goes through MOT on Friday with no issues I'm booking Donington in February with Javelin. I'll let you know after that.

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Quite a few spin there. It's a slippy corner. I knew something was wrong. Anyway, 2 Yokohama Paradas going cheap!

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Hi George. I can't give an honest opinion yet. Pulled me off wet grass quite well. Only opinion I can give.

If car goes through MOT on Friday with no issues I'm booking Donington in February with Javelin. I'll let you know after that.

Alright John, no worries mate, they're on my short list when mine need replacing

Renault Clio 172 cup
Alright John, no worries mate, they're on my short list when mine need replacing

I,ve used the Nankang George, was quite impressed ( certainly better than Paradas ). Its the NS2R ( 120 compound ) you'd want. Used them at Brands and Donington and considering I am usually on 888's they didnt disapoint ( not as good as 888's obviously but a damn site cheaper ).

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I,ve used the Nankang George, was quite impressed ( certainly better than Paradas ). Its the NS2R ( 120 compound ) you'd want. Used them at Brands and Donington and considering I am usually on 888's they didnt disapoint ( not as good as 888's obviously but a damn site cheaper ).

Goodstuff mate, currently using the federal RSRs and very happy with them. Like you say about the ns2r the rsr punch above their weight really for the cost of them (when compared to the r888).
I'll see which has the best deal on them at the time as they're very similar prices.

Renault Clio 172 cup
Depending on which size you're using, if its 15's you can pick up the Nankang in 195/50/15 for 65 quid at a couple of places ( camskills one ,and a place on e bay also ). Think they jump up a bit for 16's though.