ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Owwww my ears - total nightmare

Had a mare of a day today.

Some background information: I had my Clio 172 Cup serviced on Monday by a local place who I have taken quite a few cars too. Made a special point for them to check my exhaust as I was sure it was blowing but could not find a hole. They said it was absolutely fine and was not blowing at all.

Today, driving back from Alton Towers for a 200 mile trip my exhaust sounded slightly different. This got progressively worse but I kept quiet not wanting to worry my girlfriend as we were only 40 miles into the joruney. Eventually she said your exhaust doesn't sound right so I told her I thought it was different and I would check it out at the next services. It ended up getting so bad that I pulled off the M1 into a farm and had a look. The exhaust was hanging about 10cm from the ground, almost completely detatched hanging from just the remains of the mount.

I called the RAC out and he just yanked the backbox off the car and said it will be fine. He followed me for 20 miles and all was well with the exhaust in the boot. My god, the noise was immense. I couldn't talk to my girlfriend sitting next to me, it was that loud. I physically couldn't stand taking it about 3k RPM due to the noise, ended up limping at about 64mph most of the journey home. Anyway, after 6 hours I am now back :)

Im planning to take the exhaust back to the garage tommorow to see what they have to say. The welds of the backbox had completely failed, I am sure they would have spotted this when the car was on the ramps, I was adament the exhaust was blowing and there are no other holes.

Lionel Richie
thats completley normal mate, time for you to buy another exhaust, its not the garages fault, its the renault part, they all do it

Cam

182 Cup
Mate if that was me i reckon i would still be able to hear my ex!!!! lol!!!
Ive got the same problem but with my 182 zorst. Think a performance zorst is called for!

M2 Competition
Mine did the same, drove for an hour and a half to get new exhaust fitted, lol, aint that bad.

Does just count as wear and tear though, so you'll have to put hand in pocket...

Aftermarket will last longer, and be cheaper than oem.

I know its a common fault, but surely the garage should have noticed such a fault when it was serviced days ago? Especially as I specifically asked them to look at it!

Im not sure if a performance exhaust is what I want, would rather something as close to standard as possible really. Going to look into my options.

Certainly won't be doing that. The RAC guy said I was lucky I pulled over when I did. Apparently the Clio exhausts have a habit of ripping off the rear bumper along with the exhaust when they fail, imagine that on a busy motorway it doesn't bear thinking about :mad:

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport
FredYozzasport said:
the OE renault ones are crap! don't put another OE one on

Probably crap for performance, but our 1.4 16v clio exhaust is still the original after 6 years and 64k miles, i thought that was pretty good for a mild steel exhaust. :)

How much are std renault ones and performance exhausts roughly?

Where do you join them when you replace it? there doesnt seem to be any joins in the system.

Last edited:
  Elise/VX220/R26
the rear hangers on clios are crap, get one of those new when you get a new zorts, I think they modified them from new as my second one never gave me any probs

BMW M135i
meggerman said:
redline it you puff !

^^^^^

This man speakth the truth, f**k my ears i'd have been caning it all the way home just think of the noise with no backbox :evil:.

80MPG BEEZA
my magnex backbox fully came off the other week on the way to work coz our roads are bumpy as sh*t i caned it there and back it sounded mint and it was a bit nippier through the gears

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
Perfect opportunity to upgrade to a full stainless system if you're keeping the car for a while.

1998 BMW e46 323i
they're just sh1t quality systems. my old 320i had 154k on the clock, engine and original exhaust both untouched and sweet as a nut. my 172's rear silencer fell off after just over 3yrs. this is 'normal' apparently