ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

p!ss take part ex on 172 against 182

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 07 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by missy on 07 December 2004

lee is correct.

any 172 owners should be considering seriously whether they can afford to lose on average between £300-500 a MONTH on their cars. ive had mine since april and will lose nearly £2k on it.

the value wont go up, and bear in mind that a new body shape clio is coming out next year so the existing clios will all lose value drastically around the middle of next year. this is obviously going to affect 182s too.

im selling up, going to buy a convertible during the winter and sell it during the summer "rush" to buy open top cars i think. i simply cant afford to keep a car thats losing me that much money.

You shouldnt lose much at all on an Exclusive. Or at least Id hope not, what with it being such a limited production run.

i wish, lee. theres none on autotrader at the moment to demonstrate the point, unfortunately so im going on what i remember. the 172 exclusive isnt counted as a seperate model in the trade books, so we (well, my expert) tend to book it at around 1.5k more than a standard 172 of the same age. even going by that, and looking at what someone was selling their almost exactly the same exclusive for, im still losing the same amount as a standard 172. luckily i got it for 2k less than the dealer was selling it for on autotrader at the time, so ive personally only lost a bit of money. the length of the production run doesnt seem to be having too much effect on the value.

clios are still very good value for money, but all second hand cars are losing a lot of value at the moment. for example, the guy who arranges my car swaps for me bought a year old megane 1.6 extreme for just over £5k. average mileage, fsh, etc etc.

id advise everyone to stop knocking their dealers who seem to be offering them a substandard deal on their trade in car, and consider that the book price for a mk2 172 dropped by around a grand as soon as the 182 came out. from what ive read on here in the time ive owned my clio, people are overambitious about what to expect.

sorry about that, peoples attitudes to their cars annoys me slightly. people wouldnt touch a normal investment with a bargepole if they were expecting to lose at least £1k after driving it off the forecourt, and £2k in the following year. i dont see why people do that with cars, especially when they owe money in the form of a loan and more likely than not will be in negative equity if theyre forced to sell early.

7.6cc :D

I think youre mad if you change, youve seen yourself how much your 172 has depreciated, the 182 will do the exact same thing!