ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

p!ss take part ex on 172 against 182

Clio 182 FF & Cups

Just got back from my local reno dealer, I was bored this afternoon and fancied a drive of a 182. Had to go through the motions of part ex price etc before theyd let me have a drive.. and they offered me £6k for a 53 plate 172 with 8k on the clock:eek:

Now i admit my 172 is an import but for fcuks sake!!

Cant get the idea of a 182 outta my head so what do people advise? Shall i sell the 172 private and the buy a uk 182? Has anybody traded their import 172 against a new 182 import or otherwise?

At the next round of haggling I got the price of a 182 (both cup packs and mettalic) down to £13.8k (cash deal, no part ex) and the salesman, who was playing the good cop bad cop routine with his boss said if im ready to order soon I might get it lower still (got the impression 13 thou is very possible).

should i bite the bullett and go uk or go back to an importers for my 182. Was made to feel like a rapist for buying an import in the first place.

Help!!

[Edited by fewie_172 on 07 December 2004 at 5:05pm]

Mondeo STTDCI

Sell urs for 8k privately. Maybe.

Buy 182 for £13k from reno or £11.5k elsewhere.

IMHO not worth the upgrade.

Lee

BMW M2C

Thats shocking. I traded my Import Monaco Blue 172 with 22500 in 15 months on the clock against a new Arctic Blue 182 with Cup packs on Friends and Family so it cost me peanuts. They gave me £8.6k for the 172 which was only a grand less than a UK car would have got, and I saved a lot more than that when I purchased it.

Clio 182 FF & Cups

I dont like loosing money but when I bought the 172 I was really torn between that and a cup, love the cups aggressive nature but wanted toys like leather and aircon cos Im a bit of a nancy boy. Also I dont claim to be a great driver so ABS and traction really appealed. The 182 is all these things and more judging by the posts on here.

Lee

BMW M2C

The release of the 182 has killed 172 prices. I was lucky and got in early before they really dropped.

Black 182 + Recaros

fewie_172 -

6k. Thats b*ll*cks. Ive got the same age car, UK model, 16,000 miles and Id expect minimum of 8k. No way is yours worth £2000 less.

If you manage to get the 182 for 13k then maybe consider £6500.

Dont waste your time selling private. Itll take ages.

Clio 182 FF & Cups

The car was first registered on October 7th last year, Got it from motorhouse 2000 for £11,700. Dont expect it to be worth as much as a uk car but come on!?

This is the same dealer that offered my mate £8600 for his 53 plate cup with 6k on the clock (full uk car supplied by them) although this was to buy outright as hes getting divorced so the car has to go. Maybe I should try some other dealers?

Renault Laguna Coupe

keep the 172. Youve only done 8000 miles - youre looking at the best part of £1 per mile depreciation! If you can afford that then Im glad for you, but I dont know many people who could!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I just sold my 172 for 8k last week....april 02 mk2

There just seems to be a glut of them lying around and the fact that its christmas makes it even harder to sell

ian

Clio 182 FF & Cups

Dealer said hed have given me £9.5 for it if it had been uk but that would probably been against full screen price on the 182. What really hacks me off is the 02 plate they have on the forecourt with 22k on it priced @ £10,495, Should have stayed home this afternoon, now pissed off and depressed and I never got to drive the 182 anyway, fcukers!!

Remapped derv Golf

I wouldnt bother mate. The 182 isnt that much better than youre current car. Of course Im talking about the amount of money youll loose better.

Bit worried about the resale prices tbh - i wanna sell my Cup in the new year to buy an Audi off my dad and want as much as possible from the Clio.

Black 182 + Recaros

Wait until the new year and visit your dealer towards the end of the month. Usually they have targets to meet and will offer a better deal.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by fewie_172 on 07 December 2004
Dealer said hed have given me £9.5 for it if it had been uk but that would probably been against full screen price on the 182. What really hacks me off is the 02 plate they have on the forecourt with 22k on it priced @ £10,495, Should have stayed home this afternoon, now pissed off and depressed and I never got to drive the 182 anyway, fcukers!!

Just as well you didnt get to drive it or you would have chopped the 172 in and swallowed hard on the turd baguette you were being fed. The 182 is a much better car to drive, but then you say you dont really drive that hard so may not appreciate it as much.

Clio 182 FF & Cups

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 07 December 2004

keep the 172. Youve only done 8000 miles - youre looking at the best part of £1 per mile depreciation! If you can afford that then Im glad for you, but I dont know many people who could!
If i could afford that mate I would hace a V6 on the drive!! I know what you mean though. Seem to have sh!t luck with cars, bought a VTR new litterally days before Sh!troen knocked nearly 2K of the screen price, Lost nearly 7K on that in 3 years.

Maybe I should buy a willy, they dont suffer from deapreciation!!

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 07 December 2004

I wouldnt bother mate. The 182 isnt that much better than youre current car.

id say different having owned a mk2 172 and now a 182.

but for that kind of trade in offer i probably wouldnt be able to justify changing. i didnt get a great trade in value but it was no where near as bad as that.

just got 8k part ex for my 172 Cup, 52 plate with 17k on the clock. Its a UK car, but older with more miles. I was p/xing it against a Leon Cupra R so not even against another renault.

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 07 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 07 December 2004

I wouldnt bother mate. The 182 isnt that much better than youre current car.

id say different having owned a mk2 172 and now a 182.

but for that kind of trade in offer i probably wouldnt be able to justify changing. i didnt get a great trade in value but it was no where near as bad as that.
Im talking money loss remember.

Black 182 + Recaros

I always have the test drive first. At least you have some fun before they insult you.

Dont get depressed mate. I understand you want a new motor, but it aint worth it. Youve still got a bloody good motor. Go for a mad drive. Thatll make you feel better.

Clio 182 FF & Cups

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 07 December 2004

Just as well you didnt get to drive it or you would have chopped the 172 in and swallowed hard on the turd baguette you were being fed. The 182 is a much better car to drive, but then you say you dont really drive that hard so may not appreciate it as much.

I do drive hard (i think), I just like tc and abs to help me out when I get it wrong. The nancy boy reference was to do with the fact that I like to sit on leather and be cooled by aircon whilst driving hard!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Keep it for 2 years and promise yourself the new Renaultsport Clio 200bhp when it comes out. Youll only lose another couple of k on your 172 in the meantime.

Trouble with buying a 182 now could be that youll want the new one when it arrives in 2006!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 07 December 2004
The release of the 182 has killed 172 prices. I was lucky and got in early before they really dropped.

Ditto that! :)

I traded a 14month old 03 plate against a F&F 182 and got 9,900 as a trade in.

lee is correct.

any 172 owners should be considering seriously whether they can afford to lose on average between £300-500 a MONTH on their cars. ive had mine since april and will lose nearly £2k on it.

the value wont go up, and bear in mind that a new body shape clio is coming out next year so the existing clios will all lose value drastically around the middle of next year. this is obviously going to affect 182s too.

im selling up, going to buy a convertible during the winter and sell it during the summer "rush" to buy open top cars i think. i simply cant afford to keep a car thats losing me that much money.

Clio 182 FF & Cups

Keep it for 2 years and promise yourself the new Renaultsport Clio 200bhp when it comes out. Youll only lose another couple of k on your 172 in the meantime.

Trouble with buying a 182 now could be that youll want the new one when it arrives in 2006!

From what ive seen of the pictures of the new clio id rather cut my penis off with a rusty bread knife that be seen in one. Maybe I should wait for the last run of 182s to come off the line, the prices might drop when the new model hits, any ideas when this is?

Renault Laguna Coupe

From what ive seen of the pictures of the new clio id rather cut my penis off with a rusty bread knife that be seen in one. Maybe I should wait for the last run of 182s to come off the line, the prices might drop when the new model hits, any ideas when this is?
Trust me itll be ok. All the Clios have been good looking cars so far. Renault wont want to muck-up their most lucrative model.

172, Tiguan

You lot dont want to know how much a 53 plate Silver 172 Cup sold for locally round here from a garage the other day!!

Al I can say is:

MUHAHAHAHA

Clio 182 FF & Cups

Yeah but knowing my luck, Id order a RS Clio 200 and then come on here to find out the rs clio 210 had just been announced, lol.

Feel a bit calmer now and im nearly at my half century of posts

I just got back from the garage to the offer i got was pants but they offered me £5300 for my mk1 172 with 42k on the clock but my car is mint not a mark on it.

However if i buy the car for cash they will up this to £6300, however that is with me paying 15k for the car so not much of a deal if you ask me.

Just gonng have a search through the forums to find the best place online.

Renault salesmen are all n*bs!! :mad:

106 GTi

You should be able to better the price he offered for the 182 car. I manged get a cash sale price of 12665 with cup packs and met paint on sat. from the dealer other people on here have done better than that too.

Black 182 + Recaros

Your not pushing them hard enough. Tell them what you want and go from there. I said I wanted 9,000, they said 7,000, eventually they offered 8,400. So they will move, normally.

Clio 182 FF & Cups

He said as a reno dealer he would not be allowed to place an import on his forecourt so the car would have to go to auction, probably talking sh!t like but that was his story and he was sticking to it. Might try importers to what sort of part ex Ill get but Im sixty miles from any, dont really fancy an hours drive to get insulted again.

<<< There she is, a half century!

[Edited by fewie_172 on 07 December 2004 at 9:03pm]

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by missy on 07 December 2004
lee is correct.any 172 owners should be considering seriously whether they can afford to lose on average between £300-500 a MONTH on their cars. ive had mine since april and will lose nearly £2k on it.the value wont go up, and bear in mind that a new body shape clio is coming out next year so the existing clios will all lose value drastically around the middle of next year. this is obviously going to affect 182s too. im selling up, going to buy a convertible during the winter and sell it during the summer "rush" to buy open top cars i think. i simply cant afford to keep a car thats losing me that much money.

You shouldnt lose much at all on an Exclusive. Or at least Id hope not, what with it being such a limited production run.

Ford Fiesta

id like to say dont bother changing but if you have your heart set on a 182 then thats that

Lee

BMW M2C

He said as a reno dealer he would not be allowed to place an import on his forecourt so the car would have to go to auction, probably talking sh!t like but that was his story and he was sticking to it. Might try importers to what sort of part ex Ill get but Im sixty miles from any, dont really fancy an hours drive to get insulted again. <<< There she is, a half century!

[Edited by fewie_172 on 07 December 2004 at 9:03pm]

Thats what I was told, but he did say they had never tried to sell an import before, and as mine was nearly new they might do. I was lucky though as one of the garages also in the same chain as Renault Birmingham isnt a Renault dealer, so they shift everything else including imports.

I think what else hasnt helped is all the good press the 182 has had. What I mean is its not helped people wanting one as they are selling themselves so dealers arent having to work so hard to shift them. When I got mine some dealers didnt even know the car existed!!

VaVa

The dealer is just trying it on. They offered me £9,700 p/ex for my 53 172 with 10,000 miles, against a 182 at list price with Cup packs thrown in and 0% finance. Top book is £9800. Or at least it was a few weeks ago.

Quote: Originally posted by Gaz2130 on 07 December 2004

Renault Chester have two 172 Mk2s 02 plates for sale, around 8K each!!
I looked at buying one of there 52 plate 172 a while back for £10k they seemed cheap at the time.

Whatever you do dont buy there 2 * 182 they have for sale they were hammered all the time.