ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting Bullets.

1.2 16v Clio
Ok so ive been painting my bullets over the past few days and trying every method i know possible to make them look perfect.

Method 1: Sprayed the whole bullet white, then blue tac'd around the lettering and then sprayed that black. Once the paint was dry i removed it all and it doesnt really give a neat finish to the edge/lip of the lettering and im kind of a detail ***** with stuff like this.

Method 2: Sprayed the whole bullet white, then once it was dry.. scuffed the lettering a little and coloured the lettering in with a permanent marker. Lackered over it all once it was dry, as soon as the lacker hit the marker it seemed to make it "crack" and lines appear all over it.

Tried masking off all of the lettering with tape but with the curves and shapes of it.. it just seemed near impossible :(

Any ideas how i can do them to a standard that im going to be satisfied with.

1.2 16v Clio
What paint? i tried doing it with the renault gloss black touch up pen, shook it well before using and it just went all thick as soon as i applied it and the finish looked garbage. Ill give the aerosol sprayed into the lid a try through.

koi

Audi S1
Talking from experience, took me 4 attempts before I was finally happy with the finish. After all the messing about I would recommend using a small paint brush for the lettering to get the best results.

Clio 1.2 16v
get think maskin tape, mask it all off.. can be tricky but can be done, and spray over, leave to dry, remove tape

1.2 16v Clio
if im brushing/rolling the paint on, should i key the white paint that the bullet has been sprayed with or just paint straight on top of it?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
With the amount of time i'd take to get a really detailed paint job with a brush you could spend that time painstakingly masking up and then just spray it.

L

leeboy182

mask the whole bullet after you've let the paint dry then cut around the lettering carefully then spray that's how I chose to do it looked spot on mate

"Navy" N17 TWO
Ok so ive been painting my bullets over the past few days and trying every method i know possible to make them look perfect.

Method 1: Sprayed the whole bullet white, then blue tac'd around the lettering and then sprayed that black. Once the paint was dry i removed it all and it doesnt really give a neat finish to the edge/lip of the lettering and im kind of a detail ***** with stuff like this.

Just did this myself too;
got to the blu-tac/masking stage and gave the paint on the lettering a quick sand and a coat of primer before adding the other colour.

Hope it works!

Bumder With A Buffer
When you are painting the bullets, can you paint another colour over the first layer? :)

What colour are you doing them dude??

My recent attempt (not finished yet)

12052009712.jpg

Bumder With A Buffer
Sanded down what was on there before a bit (was monaco and yellow)

Sprayed white all over and left to dry for a day.

Then spray some Monaco paint into the cap and used a small brush to put it on. The Monaco holts stuff I got is VERY runny and i have about 5 extremely thin layers on there already. Couple more should do it (you cant see from the pic but in sum areas you can just see its not as dark as others)

"Navy" N17 TWO
:eek: You love me really Xx

It's a light colour, with Monaco lettering - if I haven't made a balls of it that is :rasp:

Bumder With A Buffer
:)

Well if you get stuck PM me and il try and help... I have a spare set of bullets for playing around with

"Navy" N17 TWO
The primer has dried onto the lettering ok, just appears cracked around the sides but that could be the blu-tac not too sure :S

"Navy" N17 TWO
I went ahead and brushed on some Monaco Blue onto the lettering on 1 of the bullets last night :)

I'll peel back the blu-tac later when I get home and see how it has turned out (fingers crossed lol)

"Navy" N17 TWO
So much for a smooooooth finish when everything was going so well (1st attempt)
Peeled off the Blu-Tac & masking tape tonight and the lettering is as rough as a hedgehog's balls :banghead:

I think the fact that I put primer over the base colour has left a little white frilly edge on the lettering :(

N/A Currently
has any tried spraying the whole bullet in the colour u want the lettering doing, and then when its dry, mask the letters off, then spray over the top of the letters with the background colour? (Obviously, wet and dry etc)

Just a thought..

"Navy" N17 TWO
If the letters are going to be darker than the background, will the darker colour show through when you paint the background?

N/A Currently
If the letters are going to be darker than the background, will the darker colour show through when you paint the background?

As long as you wet/dried it, and take it back to near original, then primer etc, it should be OK i'd imagine?

"Navy" N17 TWO
The diamonds were the easiest bits - I have my front/rear & centre-cap diamonds all done :D

I had a really good finish on the base colour for the bullets, just the lettering has gone tits-up! :rolleyes:

"Navy" N17 TWO
I test-sprayed the Monaco over my base colour before stripping it all back to redo.
Happy enough with the finish even with just one coat so should be good with 2 or 3 when I get that far again :)

6/468 17poo
Been trying to paint the lettering white with a monaco background with a touch up stick!its so hard to keep it steady!

6/468 17poo
Fail, i cant do it, i masked all the background off and sprayed the lettering!

This revealed a bit of a mess around the edge of the lettering gonna try sort this tomo with a brush i suppose!

This is way too hard!