ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting Calipers/drums

?
On my old car i sprayed the back drums and front calipers silver (eek) and found it relatively easy (masking off was a bit of a pain) and after about 8 months rust started to form on top... and the general look deteriorated

However, on my new car ive decided to paint the calipers/drums with hammerite satin black and a brush.

Now... ive never painted calipers/drums with a brush before.. will the finish be crap? (eg brush streaks!) also... what prep work do i need to do to avoid rust in the future and preserve the finish? I would normally use a wire brush and wire brush drill attachment.

mk2 slow. . .
i painted both my calipers and drums witha brush using hammerite. Just wire wool and make sure surface that will be painted is clean and smooth. Then just brush away. Leaves a good finish, aslong as you dont slap the paint on. Just do brush strokes in same direction etc and it will be fine.

andy

?
Last time i sprayed em i used halfords cheap ass caliper spray cans (aout £6/7 iirc)

I thought i WAS doing the proper thing by buying hammerite :(

106 GTi
Hammeritte Smooth works really well I would not bother wasting the extra cash on the caliper paint.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
hammerite works perfectly well as rich has already stated. if it bubbles then you have not prepared the surface correctly.

also, i wouldnt spray either. firstly because i could not be arsed to mask off a massive area, and also id be affraid of rouge spray getting on the paintwork. just use a small paintbrush.

?
Did i buy the wrong stuff then?

55835_m.jpg

There was "smooth black" or "satin black" the guy in the store said satin black is more of a matt finish and satin black was a shiney finish.

should i have bought smooth black?

106 GTi
Hammeritte Smooth Silver and Gold

P5160001.jpg

If brush painting just thin it down a touch with a bit of there thinners to avoid it looking to thick and shitty. Much easier then the caliper paint stuff that you have to mess around mixing up etc.

As for prep before painting a quick wire brush and a tin of brake cleaner is all that is needed.

2008 Albi 197
Painted mine with £5 caliper paint from Halfords, took about 3 - 4 coats but gave a great finish:

CIMG0613.jpg

vers le haut doigt milieu
You are using metal paint on your caliper not even raditor paint. I know how many people have done so on this forum and I like the results BUT for an extra £15 come on, I thought we all loved our clios!

I used Hammerite smooth. No problems.

I agree if it looks s**t, then you havent prepared the surface right.

Satin should be fine, just clean the area and paint thinly.

I never bothered with thinners.

?
Ive heard hammerite smooth is fine... but regular hammerite causes bubbles / looks s**t after a while etc

But ive bought satin black so do you think its ok?

Im planning to use a wire brush then some brake disk cleaner then paint a few layers.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
You are using metal paint on your caliper not even raditor paint. I know how many people have done so on this forum and I like the results BUT for an extra £15 come on, I thought we all loved our clios!

why spend the extra money on a product that offers no gains over a cheaper alternative?

another one of these threds hey, u have my advice afroahmed. You decide mate.

?
Btw... best way to sand the front calipers down effectively? Wire brush on drill FTW for the back drums but on the calipers i dont trust myself.. one slip and wooosh ive just sanded the brake disk LOL

dont worry I scare myslef, you have a full life time warenty with caliper paint.

mk2 slow. . .
i painted mine over 7months ago with normal hammerite silver paint for my front calipers and the exact same paint you have got satin black for my drums, and neither have bubbled or anything atall. The paint you have bought is fine. Just wire wool it down then i ran it over with a paint prep cloth as i had some lying around and then painted. Finsh is smooth and looks the nuts

106 GTi
Btw... best way to sand the front calipers down effectively? Wire brush on drill FTW for the back drums but on the calipers i dont trust myself.. one slip and wooosh ive just sanded the brake disk LOL

You only need to remove any loose flakey bits from them, a quick wire brush for a min or so is normally all that you need.

LY V6 with Recaros
I used Hammerite smooth on my 182, painted them about a year and half ago now and they are still fine, no bubbling etc. Have just bought a new can in black to do the v6 calipers with.

?

You only need to remove any loose flakey bits from them, a quick wire brush for a min or so is normally all that you need.

Last time i sanded all the rust completely off... took me farking ages! lol.

Renault Clio Sport 172
Use Hammerite smooth , I've done loads on all sorts of cars and have never had a problem , just make sure you prepare the surface properly and get rid of all the rust and get it as smooth as you can , give it plenty of coats and you can acheive a powder coated finish . here's a pic of my Lexus ones.
calipers002.jpg

calipers004.jpg

Decals are from e-bay
Regards.

I just lol'd hard @ 'don't use Hammerite'

I used black hammerite smooth on mine, front & rear, each caliper looks just the same as when I did them, they look ace:approve:

Really cheap to do & they look a million times better than the faded manky silver they were.

As said, prep them up by using a wire brush, or wire wool, really clean the surfaces up. Give them two maybe three coats of paint - allow them to dry overnight if poss before putting the wheels back on.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I used black hammerite satin and it was fine..
UNTIL the pressure washer knocked most of it off!! ¬__¬

?
Today i finished doing them both in satin black, 2 thick coats. Wire drill bit and no face protection needed... take it like a man tbh!

Will see if they still look good in a week or so, u rekon pressure washer will feck them up then? it didnt for my last ones but i did spray them before... and didnt use hammerite...

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
ive had mine painted for about a year and a half, and there is a tiny bit of flaking but im wanting to do them black anway so im not to bothered.